Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: ERAS Funds to Direct Towards Worthy Cause

Default Re: ERAS Funds to Direct Towards Worthy Cause

OK, This is MY opinion only, BUT why not Print up care sheets for pretty much everything the Petshops sell, as far as Reptiles, Spiders etc. and THEN go to the Petshops and discuss with them What EACH type of animal, bug etc. would need for housing. Then Work with them and PUT packages together of everything Needed for that type of Pet. Have the Care Sheets taped inside the tanks, that hold ALL the Equipment that People should buy, when they purchase that Pet. I'm not talking, birds, fish, hampsters etc. here. Just the Reptiles, tarantulas etc. PETSHOPS like to MAKE money, and it's the SUPPLIES that ad up! IF people SAW what they needed and the COST, there Certainly wouldn't be so many Impulse buys. At least I would think???? Those tanks, would be the right size, with Calcium etc. in there, hides, bedding in pkgs, UTH, Lights, What ever That particular animal requires in there, WITH the Caresheet????? I don't think a Petshop would object to someone suggesting those things? It's a MONEY maker for them! Then if someone already had some things and the Pet, they could still read the care sheets in each tank, for each animal??? Any Ideas on THIS??????

The biggest obstacle to any initiative which involves providing printed information, is finding someone to WRITE that information in the first place. It usually amounts to volunteering someone ELSE to do it :P Those who are most willing to do good write-ups deserve to be compensated for it, but often end up writing the books that so few people seem to read.

I think, when it comes to care sheets, the best plan might be for a cooperative effort run through somplace like Kingsnake.com, in which individuals and all involved societies can contribute and comment on the sheets. Final versions are selected, and then anyone can make use of them. Authors get their credit, and the care sheets get branded with the organizing society's as well as the distributing society's logos and names. Basically like having local kennel and specialty kennel clubs being accredited by the CKC.

For example:
    Basic Care and Breeding of Crested Geckos, Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    Mass P. Roduced, 2009
    blahblahblah...
    Approved by Kingsnake.com, provided by Edmonton Reptile and Amphibian Society
    The trend is to post names and numbers of "pets" here. That seems...um...bulky.
    23+ species of salamander
    28+ families and subfamilies of reptile, amphibian, and arachnid.
    Only one has a name. The Beast.

Besides getting the care sheets produced with correct information, another large obstacle is the fact that most pet stores want nothing to do with the society because they see the society as competition. Most pet stores have their own care sheets which extoll the benefits of many supplies the animal DOES NOT need. As previously mentioned, the stores make their money off the supplies they sell for the animal. A store is not going to put a document in their store that tells the customer NOT to use the calci-sand for their leopard gecko or that a cornsnake DOES NOT need a UVB light (for examples). Care sheets WILL be produced and be available at the shows as well as online when the new site is up and running (a new site is being worked on at the moment). If we can find a pet store that would be willing to use society drafted care sheets then we endeavor to provide them with information.
    Neil Tyreman
    Arctic Circle Herpetological Supply Co.
    neil.tyreman@alberta-gecko.com
    780-462-8167

I joined in May and still don't have a card.

I don't have a card either! WEll it was just a thought on the tanks, Equipment etc.

The one idea one finding out what pet shops have and what they should have is good. Soo many critters out there are improperly cared for at the stores. i think something should be done.

I also thing we should be contacting SPCA if they don't listen to us after so long. And have SPCA actually DO something.
    Last edited by Faequine; 09-10-2009 at 03:59 PM.
    Always learning AHT Student.
    Believing in reptiles being a part of the family, not eye candy.

Trying to provide information on all species found in petstores is impossible as long as they continue to look for the lastest in "the new and different" catagory. I can't see that ever changing. This endeavor goes hand in hand with inappropriate care.

I don't think this thread is the place to discuss getting a membership card.

The SPCA has it's own guidelines. It's not a law that pet stores have to listen to a herp club regardless of how beneficial it would prove to their animals. The law states something minimal, like needing water, food and shelter. So a glass box inside the store, with a water dish and some dried up veggies is all that is required by law.
    This has been discussed before, but for the newer people, what would be needed would be a revision of the law to include species specific guidelines (like heat!). Such a lengthy and long winded process has been shelved indefinetately until perhaps one day we have the right mix of expertise and spare time among our volunteer members.
    Ian Kanda