Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ERAS Funds to Direct Towards Worthy Cause

CandE Guest

Default Re: ERAS Funds to Direct Towards Worthy Cause

I also like the idea of purchasing land as a reserve area. I feel that this is going to be even more valuable in the future because habitat loss is a huge threat that is growing at a ridiculous rate. The area could also be used for research purposes which could then provide more information about our native species.

Something that might help us to decide what to is to brainstorm and establish some priotites that the society wants to stand by. Such as raising awareness, education and helping animals in need. Then once we have set priorities we can decide what amount of funds to contribute to each.

Also I think maybe we could organize memebers to research specific ideas that we have presented so that we can actually figure out what the costs will be and then analyze the cost/benefit of each.

Oh gawd... I sound like a bean counter don't I...

Just a few comments:

The decision to buy tables and table cloths was made prior to October's meeting. We will be buying speakers as well.

We have also decided to do something for the volunteers but are holding off on deciding exactly what until we get the final number of volunteers so we have a better idea what is feasible.

We already underwrite the some of the costs for people attending the other Alberta shows. It has not been discussed on doing anything outside of Alberta though.

The society has always supported the rescue and Neil and Michele's handling of that portion of ERAS. ERAS will be giving the rescue money for caging. We just have to determine how much and the best way for us to do it.

I love the idea of an ERAS Nature Preserve but my biggest concern with the idea is the cost of doing it. Even small parcels of land can be hugely expensive and I would hate to see other portions of the society (ie the rescue) suffer because we are trying to save up the money for a decade (or more) to buy the land.

Keep the suggestions coming in!
    Neil Tyreman
    Arctic Circle Herpetological Supply Co.
    neil.tyreman@alberta-gecko.com
    780-462-8167

As we're talking about local conservation efforts, as well as more global ones, I can think of one right in our own back yard. I havent' had the pleasure of being out there yet, but every spring I hear members voice concerns about the tramplings out at the gartersnake dens. Is there something we can do as far as signage, or perhaps having volunteers out there a few key weekends to help show people, but still keep the snakes safe? I'm not sure what already exists out there, but I think there could be some options there.
    Where the beasts are bitey and the monsters are Mighty!

Is there any way to support the creation of, and lobbying for, herp-friendly bylaws?

I know there's a group fighting the legal battle against breed specific legislation in Ontario (the pitbull ban), so I thought there may be a similar one to promote and protect reptile ownership...?

I don't know who it would be, but it seems like many keepers support making an organized effort to fight reptile bans. However we are relatively lucky here in Alberta, so most of the benefit would be directed out of province.

(I was recently shocked to learn that boas are illegal in Kelowna).
    Leah Morgan has balls...and boas!
    http://www.freewebs.com/leahmorgan/
    save the pit bull, save the world Bullies in Need

So I kinda like the idea of a nature reserve as well in ERAS' name, only does any one have any idea what that could cost? Also, would we have to pay any sort of taxes on the land afterwards like we do with our own personal properties?

I have been trying to think of something different that has not been mentioned yet and all I can think of is maybe doing something to fix our problem with pet stores situation. A number of people have expressed their dislike on the reptile situation in many pet stores. I know it is not up to us to buy supplies, but maybe we could do something as simple as sending a few of us out to the pet stores and properly informing the staff of care, and requirements on their reptiles in stock. We could also see what the stores are carrying in general and maybe make up some detailed caresheets to hand out for the store to keep, and some extras to give out with the animals they sell. I know if pamphlets were given to my stubborn boss she would use them, keep them herself, and have them available for customers to take. I have researched new critters that come in, but it can be frustrating in some ways as some reptiles are newer to the market and info is not easily found. Between the active members of the ERAS community we could make up care sheets based on our personal successful experience for pretty much every reptile that can be found in the stores. I know we all don't like the high prices pet stores place on their animals, but it would help us assure more reps would start going home with proper caging requirements and needs. We could also provide within the pamphlets maybe a contact to a good vet, which so many people ask about, think of how many people out there have not asked and the animals have just died instead. Maybe we could add anyone interested in building large cheap rep cages that you cannot find in pet stores, like for turtles, and a lot of stores dont carry big enough tanks for beardies or monitors. We would not be stealing their business, just helping their animals go home to a healthy environment. I think it would be a good idea to stress the importance of simple things like calcium, as I have heard from many customers that no one even mentioned calcium as part of their reptiles needs. Just a thought.....I know not all stores would be interested, by why not try for the few that would, better then the current situation, no?

and the brainstorming continues...

Baebe, I think this is pretty much an ongoing effort. We try to keep a good relationship with the pet stores in the area and help direct their efforts when needed.

For the nature preserve (or is it reserve? I can't tell the differenct), I think the goal is to expand what we do save up by asking for donations outside of the club as well. For example, with Ducks Unlimited and the ACA, a lot of the land is donated (or sold cheaply) by farmers that own, but don't use the land. They like the idea of it being kept as is, even after the rest of their property is sold and they have moved on. Patience is the key on this idea, and I volunteer as coordinate it if it gets chosen. The government of Alberta, as well as whichever county government can also be asked for help, be it signage, land tax breaks, cash plugs ect.
    As Neil T. had mentioned though, I think that if this idea is a go, then we must be carefull to not get over ambitious so as our other endeavors suffer (ie, the rescue, putting on shows, and other events).
    Ian Kanda

Hey Baebe,
    I would love to contribute to that idea of yours. I kinda find it ridiculous that pet stores don't offer more information on the product (the pets) that they are selling. It's just bad business, and seems to show a lack of compassion and care, or perhaps just laziness.
    In any case, we would enjoy doing it ourselves, the animals would go to healthier homes, and the pet stores might see us less like competition, and more like a community of animal lovers. I'm all for that idea. Wanna found a pet store task force? LOL.
    Adam Foster 780-757-8538 Orchids, vivaria, and a few other things
    Find me on Flickr: lordoftheswarms

I think the main issue with the pet store idea is execution. What would the money be going to, exactly? Who would we talk to? What would be the "check" system? Sure, we use $$$ to print off many pamphlets, talk to the manager (if they are there, if they want to see us) and then what? There's still no training in place for employees, there's no guarantee that the papers won't just sit on a shelf somewhere. The employees are there to work, they are paid to work, and rarely paid to learn anything. It's a nice idea; improving the method in which animals are purchased, but I don't see it as being a feasible project or one that ERAS could fund and be accountable for.

I understand it could be a hopeless cause and not every store would be willing to participate but I think some would which in my eyes is better then nothing.

The only funds needed would be for the pamphlets. Then volunteers time. This would not be a major way to spend funds, just a minor way to try to help out.

As lordoftheswarms said maybe pet stores would see us as an animal loving group and not competition.

I work at a pet store again, I know my boss would be interested, I also do not know everything myself and am constantly learning. I know my Leos really well but I cannot say I know a darn thing about a sav (although its not something we carry) or taking care of a turtle.

But how many ppl (managers) would turn down free training?

Its was just a little idea. Something to try to improve the care of animals that leave pet stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Apryl View Post
    ...There's still no training in place for employees, there's no guarantee that the papers won't just sit on a shelf somewhere. The employees are there to work, they are paid to work, and rarely paid to learn anything.
    What I thought of reading Baebe's proposal was something like a paid inservice. ERAS could "sponsor" the employees so that they could be paid for their time, and the pet store shouldn't object since they will ultimately benefit from it. However, I'm not sure who the presenters should/could be.
    Leah Morgan has balls...and boas!
    http://www.freewebs.com/leahmorgan/
    save the pit bull, save the world Bullies in Need