Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ERAS Funds to Direct Towards Worthy Cause

Default Re: ERAS Funds to Direct Towards Worthy Cause

Thanks dogstar, I feel really strongly about such an endeavor.

Back to the cages; I think there are enough people with woodworking skills in the club that we don't need to "contract" out anybody specifically. Just buy the materials and maybe a pizza to celebrate when it's done.

It took about 5 seconds Neil!
    Ian Kanda

whiskeygirl Guest

Yeah I really like the cage idea too. Help keep Michelle and Neils collection safe
    and maybe if Neil gets help it will get done before the next decade rolls around

I was under the impression that if we were to simply buy the product to make enclosures for the rescue, that would count as money for the rescue. Whereas if we were to "contract" say... Mikey, it would appear as though the money were going towards him as a builder, separate from the rescue. Just so we cover our butts and it doesn't look like we're giving the money to ourselves. Unless simply buying the supplies for the rescue instead of giving the rescue $$ to buy supplies is enough.

I will be building the cages myself,weather the club pays me to do it or not.We have been setting aside donations for some time now to buy materials.I want to do them myself so that I can use them as "demos" ,I'm starting to build cages as part of my business.

CandE Guest

I know there were some issues with giving the money to Neil for the cages because ERAS is not for profit and the rescue portion is arms length, but I think that if the society capitalizes the value of the cages then it shouldn't be a problem. The value of the asset would then be whatever the expenses were to construct them. The only thing is that on paper the cages ould be property of ERAS so Neil would have to decide whether that would be ok.

One way or the other, the cages will be built; I don't think it will take up a huge amount of our funds. Lets keep on brainstorming up new ideas shall we?
    Ian Kanda

Bigger venue. It's a "worthy cause" to me... What about my other ideas? ERAS Speaker set for guest speakers? uh... I'll drag up my post later.

I still like Ducks unlimited ,it is the only program the directly helps herps here in Alberta.Some members seem to have a "bad taste" over the last contribution but that is only because 1 member committed us to more than he should have.

I'm all for supporting the rescue, especially because of the way we support them reflects directly back on to us. I don't see anything wrong with ERAS donating some cash directly towards materials for Neil to build his own enclosures. I think we all know he won't go overboard on our dime and what he's building as model display tanks for his sideline buisiness will be at his own expense. Could we even get a materials list from him and purchase the materials he needs on his behalf for him? Just remember building materials are not cheap, if he's going to do it he's going to need to do it right the first time....long story short don't cheap out. I know what it costs to build enclosures first hand.

I posted my feelings on this subject because I believe that the rescue is something we should all be proud to support and is long overdue for a "substantial" hand up. I know myself what good caging does to make reptile keeping so much more organized & efficient. Remember these people volunteer their time, how could we not want to help make it easier on them. I myself could never go back to aquariums all over the place.

I have to think about some of the other suggestions posted, I just wanted to post my feelings on this as I feel we should have things prioritized and the rescue should be dealt with first, not with whats left over.

Thanks for listening, all in favor speak up!

I agree Mikey. The rescue should be first and foremost on the agenda. This should be important, as both Neil and Michelle have been doing this for quite some time in thier home, putting thier own collection at risk, while helping others.

I am not saying that any of the other ideas presented here dont carry any merit, but I feel new caging for rescues is top priority.

Scott
    SMG
    A&J Decals.....Your Creative Consultants!

Tra La La La....It's all Sunshine, Rainbows, and Lolipops......vel est is?

or maybe we are in Stepford!!!