Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ERAS Funds to Direct Towards Worthy Cause

Default ERAS Funds to Direct Towards Worthy Cause

As discussed at the October meeting the society has turned around and is doing rather well financially. We as members need to discuss and brainstorm how we would like to spend our money. Being a non-profit society, we have to show the government that we are not indeed profiting.

So this thread is for the brainstorming. Give us your ideas. The best will be selected and then voted upon by the membership.

Note to everyone: this thread is for on topic conversation only! Only serious posts will remain undeleted!

**edit** I just wanted to add that some previous areas where ERAS has donated are Ducks Unlimited and before that, we've purchased some South American rainforest. If you're for doing those again, be sure to post about it.

***edit2*** I also need to add that we don't have to spend all of our money on one thing.
    Last edited by joeysgreen; 10-22-2008 at 06:44 PM.
    Ian Kanda

Default Re: ERAS Funds to Direct Towards Worthy Cause

I like the idea of donating funds to a third party who can construct good cages for the rescue. That is an awesome idea.

The idea of offering a scholarship to a student is also a cool idea. You could offer a large scholarship to a student who has completed a few years of schooling and is looking to move on to get his graduate degree or something, or a series of smaller scholarships to graduating high school students who are interested in pursuing vet care or something herp-related.

Matt
    Last edited by joeysgreen; 10-22-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Coincidently before the request for spending ideas was made, I was going to propose one. I propose that we save our money and let it grow with a concerted (and documented for the government) effort to purchase local land and set it aside as a conservation area similar to the Wagner Bog and the Clifford E. Lee Conservation Area. I realize this might first appear as a somewhat daunting task but money talks. If we raise a whole whack of money, even if it takes years to accumulate, then partners and sponsors can be attracted. If we are serious on such an endeavor, I"m sure the Alberta Conservation Association would be on board to help us out, as well as Ducks Unlimited and other organizations to help us select an area that would most benefit the local wildlife and herpetofauna. Donations have a way of snowballing when you have a good cause and I think this can be done. Can you imagine if 10 years down the road we get to cut the red ribbon on the ERAS Nature Reserve?

My last tidbit on this idea is that I think it really represents what ERAS is about, is a local idea, and is about a substantial contribution as I can think of.
    Ian Kanda

I like the caging idea. Why can't we contract Neil W. himself? He's got his own wood type business so it's seperate from the Rescue. Mikey of course is another option, as is them working together. If we do this I'd like to see the money going to materials and a thank you, but having the work itself being mostly volunteer. I'd volunteer for that.

I don't like the scholarship idea per say... more because it's difficult to decide what to do. Vet colleges and herp courses are out of the Edmonton area so in essence, we are paying people to leave (?) What if we offer a small scholarship to pay for someone's herp class at the U of A. Or buy a herpetology book to a member that's voted on each year?
    Ian Kanda

I agree that the caging idea is better than the scholarship one. If we can have them built directly through Neil, that'd be great; I thought it was discussed at the meeting that it couldn't be done though.

I also like the idea of buying some land, but I thought we had to dump some cash sometime soon. If we can save up, that's a cool and permanent idea.

Matt

Nix on the book idea... I can't think of how that would do anyone much good other than sitting on a book shelf. Some notes I scribbled at the meeting:

a) We have a projector, why don't we buy some ERAS speakers?
    b) Funds for sending people to Calgary/Red Deer to represent the society, or perhaps to a western show to sell tables and introduce the idea of a second large western show? Not to take away from Walter... but think: what if we could fill ALL of our table space, and sell out??? The funds would cover transport and accommodation, or a portion of - but the volunteers would be responsible for their own food and other expenses. Or one of the two (accommodation, most likely).
    c) Buy more tables, like we were discussing during setup, and more table cloths so they all match.
    d) I support contracting someone else to build the enclosures in Neil's house. I think it might look a little shady to hire Neil to build enclosures for himself. Maybe if we hired someone else (but someone we know) it would look good on the society, but I'd hope whoever took the money wouldn't charge too much more than the supplies necessary.
    e) Spend money on vendor incentives or volunteer appreciation? Some of the other shows have BBQ's for vendors, could we provide food? Or is there a nice little gift? This just popped into my head so I have to walk away and let it stew... I'll let you know if it develops into anything useful.
    f) I vote paying more for postage... lol; as in mailing out invitations to all current members and those who have yet to renew their membership a little mail-reminder or a personal invitation to the show, reminding them to bring their membership card to get in free. It'd be ...97cents a member, plus then there's word of mouth. Cindy? You have all the mailing addresses I'm guessing... wanna talk? I volunteer to lick and stick!

Apryl, I'm not commenting on the lick and stick, but I've actually started sending out electronic reminders for expired memberships... I sent them out to all the members that I had addies for before the last show to give them time to renew so they could get in the show for free, all memberships will now expire at the end of every calendar year, so I'm working on a blanket mail out, but a written reminder is a good idea
    Last edited by Cinderz; 10-22-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: typo-itis
    Where the beasts are bitey and the monsters are Mighty!

Quote Originally Posted by Apryl View Post
    b) Funds for sending people to Calgary/Red Deer to represent the society, or perhaps to a western show to sell tables and introduce the idea of a second large western show? Not to take away from Walter... but think: what if we could fill ALL of our table space, and sell out??? The funds would cover transport and accommodation, or a portion of - but the volunteers would be responsible for their own food and other expenses. Or one of the two (accommodation, most likely).
    I assume Apryl means an Eastern show (Mississauga, Winnipeg, or Montreal) to try to sell vendors on the show. I think it'd be a great idea to send a couple people to the Herp Symposium next year to try to encourage people to come out West.

Matt

That's what I meant. Thanks, Matt. This is why I don't usually give directions other than pointing. Eastern shows woo hoo!!! I'm on a forum that has lots of Ontario people, maybe I could convince them to put me up for an evening or two?

Quote Originally Posted by joeysgreen View Post
    Coincidently before the request for spending ideas was made, I was going to propose one. I propose that we save our money and let it grow with a concerted (and documented for the government) effort to purchase local land and set it aside as a conservation area similar to the Wagner Bog and the Clifford E. Lee Conservation Area. I realize this might first appear as a somewhat daunting task but money talks. If we raise a whole whack of money, even if it takes years to accumulate, then partners and sponsors can be attracted. If we are serious on such an endeavor, I"m sure the Alberta Conservation Association would be on board to help us out, as well as Ducks Unlimited and other organizations to help us select an area that would most benefit the local wildlife and herpetofauna. Donations have a way of snowballing when you have a good cause and I think this can be done. Can you imagine if 10 years down the road we get to cut the red ribbon on the ERAS Nature Reserve?

My last tidbit on this idea is that I think it really represents what ERAS is about, is a local idea, and is about a substantial contribution as I can think of.
    This sounds like a great idea, and if it is a valid choice to make the tax man happy, then so much the better.
    Boa 1.0, Feline 1.1, Fiancee 0.1, Fish 0.0.lots