Thread: Advice for heating up a ball python tank just 5F more?

Default Advice for heating up a ball python tank just 5F more?

I have a 3 year old bp and this is the second winter where he's gone through a fast. He hasn't eaten in 3 months. He barely lost any weight, and last year when he did this I took him to a vet, who told me he was otherwise healthy and should eat again in the spring, which he did. And for 8 months out of the year he eats a small thawed rat every other week without fail. But I know I could be taking better care of him as the cold end of his tank does not climb higher than 65 F in winter. (His hot end is 95F using an under tank heater) Any other heating lamps or pads are too strong to keep the cold end in the low 70 and I live in a rental where I can't control the thermostat. What can I use to cause a slight, controlled temperature increase without cooking him or drying out his tank in our already dry Alberta winters?

Default Re: Advice for heating up a ball python tank just 5F more?

In the winter I have the same problem so I tried using
    a blue heat light at that end of the tank. I have it setup on a timer so
    I find that this help till the house
    thermostat kicks in usually around eight in the morning. Please know I only use this in the winter months.
    2 Corn snake, 3 Kingsnakes,1Normal Ball Python, 1 pastel Ball python,1 KSB, 1 Childrens Python, 1 African House snake,1 checkered Gartner snake, 1 Radiated Rat snake, 1 Coastal carpet python,1 uromasystx, 1Turners gecko
    3 Leopard Geckos, 1 Bearded Dragon, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 budgies and 2 Cockatiel

Try getting a dimmer plug for your overhead light. That way you can adjust the lamp just so to achieve the temperature you want. I bought mine from Home Depot.

Try a ceramic heat emitter of the appropriate wattage , it throws heat with out light and is not drying like a heat bulb would be . They are sold at pet store in the reptile section and will definitely do the trick , ball pythons are nocturnal and not big fans of the light so f you insist on a tank vs a tub this is a good option. He will likely fast seasonally regardless of the added heat just so you are aware.