Thread: True Red Tailed Boas and Bylaws

Default True Red Tailed Boas and Bylaws

I'm... confused. It appears (from forum searches) that there are and have been people living in Edmonton that own Boa constrictor constrictor, yet this bylaw exists:

"(1) No person shall keep or have any of the following on any premiseswith a municipal address in the Citya) a Large Animal or the young thereof;"
    where a Large Animal is defined as:

"(f) “Large Animal” means any animal other than a humanbeing, Dog, Nuisance Dog, Restricted Dog, or Cat which in the adult form regularly weighs more than 10 kg."
    Well, given that the average adult female weight given by Wikipedia (and where else would Animal Care and Control look, really?) is 10 to 15 kg: Are true red tail owners in Edmonton just living with the knowledge that their snakes could be confiscated at any time or is this something that has been addressed and cleared with Animal Care and Control? I tried to search old posts to see if this has come up before but I couldn't seem to find anything specifically about BCCs. Can anyone shed any insight? I would really love to own a BCC in my lifetime and I definitely assumed that the bylaw meant that I would have to move to realize this dream, so any information to the contrary would be lovely!

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: True Red Tailed Boas and Bylaws

While the concern put into this is cute, I'd have to say you are severely overthinking things, haha. Red tails are literally one of the most popular pet snakes in Alberta along with ball pythons and corn snakes. The bylaw you are looking at refers mainly to mammals, most notably livestock, such as pigs, sheep, goats, horses, and other farmyard beasts that would otherwise be considered intrusive to neighbours.

F&W is perfectly aware of red tail ownership (once again, extremely popular snakes, almost any pet store will have at least one at any given time), and you are A-OK to own one without any undue repercussions.

Also to note, there are very few pure BCC owners, let alone breeders, in Edmonton. The majority of snakes are either BCI's, or subspecific hybrids (the pure BCC/BCO/BCA/BCL snakes make up a rather small portion of the population combined)
    I have reptiles ,birds and fish.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! However, I'm not sure you read my whole post? Not really asking about BCIs at all, just BCCs, which, as you've mentioned, are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
    I'm... confused. It appears (from forum searches) that there are and have been people living in Edmonton that own Boa constrictor constrictor, yet this bylaw exists:

where a Large Animal is defined as:

Well, given that the average adult female weight given by Wikipedia (and where else would Animal Care and Control look, really?) is 10 to 15 kg: Are true red tail owners in Edmonton just living with the knowledge that their snakes could be confiscated at any time or is this something that has been addressed and cleared with Animal Care and Control? I tried to search old posts to see if this has come up before but I couldn't seem to find anything specifically about BCCs. Can anyone shed any insight? I would really love to own a BCC in my lifetime and I definitely assumed that the bylaw meant that I would have to move to realize this dream, so any information to the contrary would be lovely!

Thanks in advance.
    Since you found the other answer not very helpful, let me join in: in ten years of reptile keeping in this city I have never heard of anyone having any boa taken due to weight limitations. The Edmonton Humane Society does adopt out boas (BCI), which presumably they would not if the animal might overgrow the enforced bylaw (as they do with the occasional pig - it goes to an outside Edmonton home). City bylaw personnel at 311 are notoriously unreliable and do not know the bylaws of the city well.

If you're really curious, hire an attorney and get them to investigate. Or call the EHS or Animal Control.
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by FWC View Post
    Also to note, there are very few pure BCC owners, let alone breeders, in Edmonton. The majority of snakes are either BCI's, or subspecific hybrids (the pure BCC/BCO/BCA/BCL snakes make more small portion of the population combined)
    Thanks for the clarification!
    Last edited by LiamSeverino; 12-28-2017 at 12:12 AM.