Thread: Roaches

Default Roaches

I understand that Dubai roaches are illegal in Canada. I also understand that the German roaches are legal. I am willing to buy some German roaches if anyone can get some for me. Unless there is another insect that will eat anything, breed like crazy and make good feed?

Default Re: Roaches

All roaches are illegal in Canada except the German and American as they are already established in Canada. I wouldn't have either of them in my house as they will be hard to contain and soon they will have the run of the house. I don't know of anyone who keeps them for feeders. You could try some of the less desirable food establishments.
    Ollie Meidinger

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

German cockroaches can survive and infest houses in Alberta. Very bad idea.
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --

Escape proof room for German roaches is pretty much impossible.
    Ollie Meidinger

Nothing is impossible. Tin lined room double magnetic sealed doors. This was going to be to make it mouse and rat proof(they will do way more damage than roaches). Multiple redundant containment systems.

Well not only the containment system but you also have to be sure not a single roach escapes during feeding. They could sneak into the enclosure's soil then easily get out from there. So unless you will tong feed or bin feed very carefully it doesn't seem worth the risk
    Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Tarantulas, Scorpions, etc.

So no ventilation and the doors will never be opened? You're deluding yourself.
    Ollie Meidinger

Quote Originally Posted by brent3369 View Post
    Nothing is impossible. Tin lined room double magnetic sealed doors. This was going to be to make it mouse and rat proof(they will do way more damage than roaches). Multiple redundant containment systems.
    Put it this way: you have only to make one single mistake and your house will be infested with a roach that is almost impossible to get rid of. It's your risk, but I'd sooner eat the roaches myself than run the very high risk having them loose in my home.
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --