Thread: Tiger Salamander woodland vivarium

Default Tiger Salamander woodland vivarium

56 gallon tall woodland vivarium.
    Home to my tiger salamander.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Tiger Salamander woodland vivarium

Very cool Ben! How long have those saplings been living in there?
    Ian Kanda

What plants have you got in there if I may ask? I think my sallies are soon due for an upgrade and that is gorgeous!!!
    ~Lauren~
    Keanu the Reeves Turtle, 3 Tiger Sallies- Benedict, Carlton and the 12 (ish) year old Buddy, Lavender the Leopard Gecko, Marvin and Elvis the guinea pigs, Hoodoo the gargoyle gecko, Irwin, a childrens python, Tiberius the Corn Snake, Sherlock the Cat, and Lacey the Dog

Thanks Ian!
    The saplings you are referring to are a dwarf species of Ficus benjamina. They have only been planted for a little over
    a week. I'm borrowing some techniques on bonsai keeping and I'm hoping to make a more convincing forest effect
    as the tank settles. Incase you are curious the bushes in the background are Cupressus macrocarpa, gold crest Wilma.

Awesome! Where do you buy these dwarf shrubs?
    Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Tarantulas, Scorpions, etc.

It's just gorgeous!
    ~Lauren~
    Keanu the Reeves Turtle, 3 Tiger Sallies- Benedict, Carlton and the 12 (ish) year old Buddy, Lavender the Leopard Gecko, Marvin and Elvis the guinea pigs, Hoodoo the gargoyle gecko, Irwin, a childrens python, Tiberius the Corn Snake, Sherlock the Cat, and Lacey the Dog

Thank you guys very much! I found the ficus at Walmart in St.albert and the Cyprus came from a Home Depot on the north side. As a side note, I had to remove all of the existing dirt from roots and replace it with my own mix. There is a good chance the plants will start looking worse before they start looking better again.
    Last edited by Ben Krysa; 03-07-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Fantastic job anyhow. I hope the dwarf ficus take well, I can see what you're going for. Add a vernal pool and it'd be absolutely fantastic for spotted or marbled salamanders (or similar).
    Ian Kanda

its a mini forest - absolutely beautiful
    Alexanderyana Aka Ellie
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon, 40 Leapord/Crestied ,Gargoyle ,Fat Tail Geckos,0.1.0 Cuban Knight Anole,1.1.0 Diamond Back Turtle, 0.1.0 Black Breasted Leaf Turtle. 1.1.0. Corn Snakes, 1.0.0 Sand Boa,1.0.0 Bumblee Bee BP,0.0.1 Lemon Pastel BP, 1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake, 0.0.2 Axolotls,0.0.5 Trantulas, 3 Cats, 2 Dogs.

Here's an update.
    The ficus have dropped most of their leaves. I expected as much because of the roots being fully exposed and trimmed before replanting. The cypruss seems to be bending away from the light a bit, but seems to be doing well otherwise.
    the salamanders love to hide in the cork hollows and I added an extra hide. I also added a some live mosses and added more red wigglers into to soil mix.
    All though it looks pretty bare without the ficus leaves there is some new growth happening.
    Im quite excited to see how this tank looks by next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ben Krysa; 03-18-2016 at 03:54 PM.