Thread: Redid an old tank

Default Redid an old tank

Hello everone,

This is an Exo-Terra 36"x18"24" that I've had for almost ten years now. It's served me we and has gone through hell and back with me. It started to leak a few years ago and I used it as a grow out/storage tank but it is still in great shape. I resealed it and decided to use it as a display tank for my living room cause I wasn't happy with the tank that was there.

There a bunch of plants from my personal collection and the light fixture is a quad T5HO current USA that I've also had for as long as the tank. Fans, Mistiing system, and fogger are ready to be installed but waiting for a custom lid to be completed. Hopefully in the next couple of days.Some Pings, utrics, cryptanthus, ellaphoglossums are on the bottom sections with some moss and a P. Burl Marx Fantasy to follow. The forward branches have mainly some lepanthes ,Skotak neoregelia hybrids, Ornithocephallus orchids and a couple of Schoenorchis orchids, The background has a variety of miniatures and I will compile a complete plant list when I settle down a bit.

Once the tank gets a chance to settle and grow in for a few months I might be adding some fauna. I'm leaning towards Vampire crabs or something along that line. A group of miniature chameleons has been something I've also contemplated. If not then maybe some kind of fish and colourful shrimp. No hurry or confirmation on the fauna yet. I'm patient and will wait to find the perfect fit from a trusted source.

Anyways I hope the link works and you can see the pictures. They are taken with my cell phone but I'll bring out the bigger camera and hopefully get some better shots.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GdHn_vvr6mV2ptNGlCS0U2Z0ZUc0FiTUxHQ2U0d0s4d0xv/view?usp=sharing
    drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GdHn_vvr6mbXNreXpLTFNsbVBSalJJX0JSTVZsQjZyWDF3/view?usp=sharing
    drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GdHn_vvr6mMGtKVlpxS2hla09EZWtKa09pV0o1N1VTdWow/view?usp=sharing
    drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GdHn_vvr6mNnhxbmtsT1VDNFc3YnNZazlKMjczUGRSMXZN/view?usp=sharing
    drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GdHn_vvr6mbk1mR3U3YnhtSUlpVG5NSTBYMkhvU0M2UFdF/view?usp=sharing
    drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GdHn_vvr6mRXRDQ09Bb0cwUGloZzlCME5lWk1ZTi1wVE13/view?usp=sharing
    "Don't get my attitude confused with my personality. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are."

Default Re: Redid an old tank

Wow! That viv looks amazing!
    Cody Randolph. Current Collection.
    1.1 Colombian red tailed boa, 1.0 Bearded dragon, 0.1 Leopard gecko, 0.0.1 Gargoyle gecko, 0.0.1 Crested gecko, 0.1 Pterinochilus murinus, 1.0 Holothele incei, 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata, 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrCodyRandolph

Very nice. Are you still building these for others?
    Ollie Meidinger

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Thanks for the kind words guys. It will look better in a few months after it grows in a bit.

Ollie yes I do. This one is for me though
    "Don't get my attitude confused with my personality. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are."

Wow, what a difference talent makes - none of my bioactives look like that! I'm currently building a 24" x 24" and hope it will look half as good when complete.
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --

Thank you

I'm sure you're tanks will end up looking great. What is a bioactive ??

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by morphman View Post
    I'm sure you're tanks will end up looking great. What is a bioactive ??
    Bioactive enclosures are built around trying to make a micro-ecosystem; so it's drainage layer, soil (or soil-esque mix), and soil bacteria, plus a "clean-up crew" of isopods and springtails and similar to help clean up detritus and feces. Ideally no extra cleaning is needed, but I find with mine that I still have to wash urates/feces off the magnetic ledges (crested gecko)! Most people grow a variety of plants in their bioactives and try to make them look as natural as possible. There's a Facebook group devoted to it, too. Some of the enclosures look amazing - mine doesn't, but my crestie seems pretty healthy so I hope it's working out for her. I'm setting up a new one for a snake; just waiting for the soil to come in so I can go and buy plants for it; hoping to make it look nicer, like yours; I really think you have to have a talent for it! Haha, I'm not so good at the design. Mine just look boring as heck.
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --

Thanks for the explanation. So that's what they're calling it now ? In that case mine is currently bioactive as well but it will soon be "super" bio active

Not sure where you're getting your soil but I make my own using various horticultural media like fir bark, charcoal, sphagnum etc. If you need any advice let me know.

Regards

I originally made my own, but this time around I ordered ABG mix from Josh's Frogs in the US - it was just easier than trying to source everything on my own, and cheaper too, actually. Once it arrives I'll start considering plants - I really want a ficus bonsai but I'm not sure if I can keep it alive! LOL
    --
    --