Thread: Buying Dart Frogs

Default Buying Dart Frogs

I have finally gotten my tank up and running and am excited to start this new venture. I am looking to purchase some starter dart frogs. Leucs look awesome. I live in Edmonton. Anyone know where the best place to go is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Buying Dart Frogs

I truly do not recommend dart frogs in that environment. They are not usually great swimmers. Maybe fire belly toads wood be a good choice. That being said, we at Jungle Jewel Exotics will have some Luces available soon.

Dawm
    Last edited by dart_frog_dawn; 10-09-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    Jungle Jewel Exotics Visit us on face book at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jungl...56404784421390 We specialize in captive bread dart frogs and dwarf day geckos Over two hundred frogs from 33 species.

I'm 100% with Dawn here. That environment looks nice but more suitable for a newt or fire-belly toad maybe but not Dart Frogs. It's a beautiful hobby and we don't want to discourage you with our criticism but Dart frogs can live a long time and you need to be able to provide an environment that can house them long term. I'm sure any one of us is willing to impart some knowledge that will help both you and your frogs enjoy the environment you provide for them and there is lots of information available here and on other forums such as Canadart & Dendroboard. When you are ready Dawn has all sorts of frogs so no need to rush.

Regards
    "Don't get my attitude confused with my personality. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are."

i hear your concern regarding my setup. I talked to one person that said Leucs that he had actually liked the water and often jumped into it. I do have many spots where the frogs can climb upon and will add one more island in the front left corner as well.

I talked to one guy at the Expo in Edmonton from Jungle Jewels that said it would probably be fine as well, although it was a busy place so maybe he didn't look intently at my photo.

The photo i attached shows the water as pretty low, but it will be another almost inch higher so the frogs could climb up around the entire island.
    I also have sword vines that are growing really well that will also provide more places to climb up.

My temp fluctuates from 20C-26C as the light is off and on.

Ive looked into FBT but because of the poison that they secrete, they might kill the fish below, and probably eat them all :-)

I really am stricken by the dart frogs, that they are active during the day, and their beautiful color.

Thoughts? Is this doable?

Also, Dawn how much will the Leucs cost when they come in? I

Dan

I think the short of it is that dart frogs are terrestrial, not semi-aquatic. They may utilize small, shallow depressions, but unlike the north American frogs we are used too, they don't congregate at large wetlands to breed.

FBT's, mossy tree frogs, and others would do well in that enclosure as set up (the mossy's would like more arboreal perches. The toxins from the frogs should be fine, so long as the fish do not nibble them. Water cleanliness is the bigger issue as you increase bioload.
    Ian Kanda

Hi Dan

Again I want to emphasize that I do not recommend dart frogs for this tank. We don't order in our frogs, all our beautiful painted frogs are bred and raised by us in our facility in Calgary. We keep all our young frogs until they are at least four months out of water. The young leuces we have will be ready to take home in about four months. D. leucemela are very popular frogs and I do recommend placing a deposit to ensure you don't miss out

Dawn
    Jungle Jewel Exotics Visit us on face book at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jungl...56404784421390 We specialize in captive bread dart frogs and dwarf day geckos Over two hundred frogs from 33 species.

Perfect for Mossy Frogs though.