Thread: Advice Please: Pacman/Tomato/etc Frog

Default Advice Please: Pacman/Tomato/etc Frog

We will be looking to add a frog to our family this summer. In particular I want a larger breed of frog, so Tomato or Pacman. I do not know if we can keep American Bullfrogs here, but if we can they would be on the list as well. I want to get the tank set up in advance. I'm open to advice people might have about keeping them in the Edmonton area, and what works well and what is a challenge. Let me know your thoughts.

Default Re: Advice Please: Pacman/Tomato/etc Frog

American Bullfrogs are on the AB restricted list, considered a pest species.
    Already a big issue in some areas in BC.
    Cheers Mark
    Mark's GONE SNAKEE! No PMs please email at gonesnakee@shaw.ca
    Working with select Colubrids (Corns, GB Kings, EIs) and Woma Pythons
    All stock parasite free and established on F/T prey (unless stated otherwise)

Either of those are fine options, make sure you give them a fair bit of soil to dig down in, and a clean water bowl for soaking. Other than that they are a pretty low maintenance pet. Just don't over do handling. There is also the African Bullfrog that is legal but not as common to find and they do get quite huge... With a big appetite and sharp "teeth"
    Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Tarantulas, Scorpions, etc.

There is also a big difference in care between a pacman/tomato frog and a large ranid like the bullfrog; many species are legal, the African the most commonly available. There are also large aquatic species, like Pipa pipa and Xenopus laevis. They are also large tree frogs like the Waxy Monkey Tree frog. There's also large toads, the Rococo's are legal, and very similar to the cane/marine toad. There are many other's of similar size a tomato frog.
    So it all depends on what species most meets your desire as a pet owner. The ranid's will be most difficult/demanding, then perhaps the aquatics, then tree frogs, then toads/pacman/tomato. I've kept some from each group and have found all to be rewarding.
    Ian Kanda