Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help on buying a turtle

Default Re: I need help on buying a turtle

Can you please give me the dates! ? and the information I have decided to go with a tortoise as well do you know of any breeders in the Alberta region ?

Thanks! Although I am going to go with a tortoise your information was still helpfull

ERAS 2015 SPRING Expo
    Sands Hotel
    12340 Fort Road, Edmonton

Saturday, October 3rd and
    Sunday October 4th

Sorry it was easier for me to copy and paste this

Check out Arachnophiliacs' page, they have a variety of tortoises and will be at the expo
    Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Tarantulas, Scorpions, etc.

Tortoise! Yay! Post pics when you get him/her
    ~Lauren~
    Keanu the Reeves Turtle, 3 Tiger Sallies- Benedict, Carlton and the 12 (ish) year old Buddy, Lavender the Leopard Gecko, Marvin and Elvis the guinea pigs, Hoodoo the gargoyle gecko, Irwin, a childrens python, Tiberius the Corn Snake, Sherlock the Cat, and Lacey the Dog

What kind of tortoise are you thinking of getting? They are many, with a large assortment of care requirements, sizes etc. Make sure you are ready with a few choices and know what you are or are not prepared to take care of. For instance, many tortoises simply get to large to realistically be good pets in Edmonton's climate. Sulcata's are a perfect example for this... Leopard tortoises are a bit smaller but do get larger than most people can prepare for and all do better with significant time outdoors. I can attest by making the mistake of getting a sulcata. I love him like crazy, but it is extremely difficult to keep him happy during our spring/fall/winters that are much to cold to allow outdoor time.
    Ian Kanda

As Joey mentioned, watch them Sulcatas. I've seen and interacted with, I believe Russian Tortoises? At the Edmonton Valley Zoo, and always found them to be of good size and temperament.
    ~Lauren~
    Keanu the Reeves Turtle, 3 Tiger Sallies- Benedict, Carlton and the 12 (ish) year old Buddy, Lavender the Leopard Gecko, Marvin and Elvis the guinea pigs, Hoodoo the gargoyle gecko, Irwin, a childrens python, Tiberius the Corn Snake, Sherlock the Cat, and Lacey the Dog

I further LOVE box turtles. Such awesome temperments and they stay smaller.