Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help on buying a turtle

Default I need help on buying a turtle

So I am brand new to the reptile world and I would like to purchase a turtle. I am going to get one mid December close to around Christmas.
    I was wondering what aquatic turtles would be the easiest to own and where can I buy one?
    - Thank you

Default Re: I need help on buying a turtle

No to dissuade you, but I have a turtle and had I known how much time, space, energy and money are required for their proper upkeep and husbandry I would not own one, nor would I reccomend them as a great starter reptile. A tortoise, of a smaller species, would perhaps be an easier choice. Also, I'm not sure about the turtle laws in Alberta, but last I knew, owning was legal, but selling was not. You would want to look into rescues.
    ~Lauren~
    Keanu the Reeves Turtle, 3 Tiger Sallies- Benedict, Carlton and the 12 (ish) year old Buddy, Lavender the Leopard Gecko, Marvin and Elvis the guinea pigs, Hoodoo the gargoyle gecko, Irwin, a childrens python, Tiberius the Corn Snake, Sherlock the Cat, and Lacey the Dog

There are a variety of turtles that can be sold here, the issue is with red eared sliders which cannot technically be sold so most people sell the tank with "free turtle" with it. The rescue has quite a few of these but not sure how the adoption fee works for that. I'm not much of a turtle person so I don't have much good advice on what species is best, but something smaller is probably better. Perhaps Reeves turtles. Some of the reptile specialty shops in Calgary might have some in (J&Js, Got Reptiles) although I do seem to remember a turtle breeder in Alberta that had a variety. Not sure if they're still around.
    Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Tarantulas, Scorpions, etc.

Reeves turtles are great, small pets. As are smaller tortoises like Russians and all the Testudo species.

Especially because you are new to reptiles, research and ask questions! They are high demand animals but can be very rewarding if they fit your lifestyle.

Some very important generalizations;
    They all live very long. This is a 40-100+ year commitment you are making.
    They all require a lot more space than your typical reptile pet.
    Adequate temperature, lighting, cleanliness and nutrition are paramount for a happy and healthy pet turtle.

As you come across questions and are narrowing down your species candidates, please feel welcome to ask additional questions. Visit the fall reptile show to see what is locally available and learn more about them.
    Ian Kanda

Having a Concentric Diamondback Terrapin, I can attest to the demand of time and resources aquatic turtles can have as a pet. For starters, you have to take into account the size the turtle will grow to at maturity. They require a minimum 10 gallons per inch of length. As well, they are very messy eaters and poopers. You will need a very good filtration system to keep up with them, as well as regular water changes and maintenance. Ideally, try and feed them in a separate area if possible.

Basic husbandry, water temperatures, UV lighting, basking area, etc will vary with species.

They are definately very rewarding to have as a pet, but as Ian said, make sure you do your research into the various species, requirements and Alberta Wildlife laws. A number of aquatic turtles aren't legal to sell here.
    You can also contact the Alberta Turtle and Tortoise Society. They have lots of information that can help you in your quest.

Best of luck!

Go to the ERAS expo in October. Lots of great people there that can help and answer questions. I personally prefer the land species. More of an interactive turtle pet. Except Ian, your asian turtle is a jerk
    I have owned aquatic turtles and presently have land turtles and tortoises. I would definately recommend one as a pet over an aquatic. Not spending nearly as much on filters, media, heaters, etc

What? That Cuora is a jerk? Please fill me in, I miss that guy
    Ian Kanda

I had him outside with the group and all was going great until he decided I hate everything and was charging Dex ( my male 3 toe) and lunged at my red foot going for her face. Needles to say, he has been dubbed King Jerk lol. Just very territorial apparently he just has to be in a separate outdoor pen. He is still not too sure of me but your little girl is now good with head pats

lol, he probably has never seen another turtle before I'm glad they are both doing well and I bet they are enjoying the outdoor time!
    Ian Kanda

I think I went to J and Js about a year ago and I dont remember any turtles :/
    But thanks for your help atleast