Thread: Wild moss safe?

Default Wild moss safe?

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has had success with using wild moss (found in areas outside of the city) in their terrariums? I really would like to do it but I don't want any of my frogs or geckos to die, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Common Boa, Red eared sliders.Bearded dragon. Giant day gecko.Tokay gecko, Standings day gecko.Leopard gecko, Fire skink, Hermit Crab.White lipped treefrog.tomato frog.tiger salamander.blue phase white's treefrog, waxy monkey treefrog, colombian tetras

Default Re: Wild moss safe?

I tried it once years ago, got slugs like crazy! Did not hurt the animals though.

Default Re: Wild moss safe?

I would say the risk is fairly low, just be sure to take from areas of the forest further away from water bodies, less chance of diseases carried by amphibians.
    Also though, our moss requires a dormancy period. So it might seem like it's growing well but unless you cool it down like in the wild it will just die on you. So tropical mosses are best if you want permanent growth. Or else I sometimes take wild moss, dry it out, and replace the damp stuff in the terrarium when it starts to decompose.
    Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Tarantulas, Scorpions, etc.