Thread: Humidity solution

Default Humidity solution

Hi everyone, been a while since I've been on here. We have a red foot tortoise and have been maintaining his humidity levels using a mistking system. The tortoise is set up in our living room and we are now expecting a baby which means that we can't continue to use the very loud misting system. Does anyone have any ideas on a pretty much silent humidifying option?

Default Re: Humidity solution

You could try an ultrasonic humidifier. They hardly make any noise at all.
    Gary Leverton - Crazy Colubrids
    Quality Canadian Captive Bred

Ellie, the MistKings are generally super quiet. Usually it's the vibrating of the hoses that cause the noise. This can be eliminated with strategic placement of those clips that come with the kit; you may need extra depending on how you use it.
    Ian Kanda

Thanks Ian, that's interesting. Mine is at least 6 years old, I wonder if they have become more quiet since then. Also, the clips have been lost long ago, I will have to look into a new system.

Mine is at least 6 years old as well. Start by looking at your system when it's on. You can usually follow the sound to the line clacking against the side of the cage or something of the like. Start with taping down the contact points; sometimes necessary in several areas. Then you can decipher if there is truly to much sound coming from the pump itself.
    Ian Kanda

Yeah you definitely want to secure the lines, I had one the rubbed against the edge of an enclosure and wore right through in a matter of days and I had water everywhere.

i am currently running 9 MK systems with 8-10 nozzles on each and I have to physically watch to verify spray cause they are so quiet. If yours is making noise there are only two real possibilities:

Ian mentioned the lines or

2) the pump has run dry to the point of the pump sustaining damage (not likely though cause they are built like tanks and are designed to handle run-dry situations to some degree).

If you don't have clips you can also use cable clips that can be bought at pretty much any hardware store (Home Depot, CDN tire etc) that are used for hanging TV or data cable. If you can't staple/screw/nail the clips down some 3m 2-sided tape holds them on just as well.
    Love Bites. The two words that describe my obsession...