Thread: Safe plants for Cresties

Question Safe plants for Cresties

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find some plants that would be safe for a crested gecko tank

Thanks
    2 Cresties (Okeg and Chomper) so far.....

Default Re: Safe plants for Cresties

plantlists.pdf
    I tried attaching a file, hopefully it works. It was posted on the Facebook group "Reptile and Amphibian Bioactive Setups".
    I buy most of my plants from Salisbury, they have a pretty wide selection but they don't label most of them so you will have to ask or know what you are looking for. May want to change soil and water normally for a month or so to make sure no pesticides or fertilizers are left in the plant.
    Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Tarantulas, Scorpions, etc.

I purchased tropical plants at Ellerslie Gift & Garden and was really pleasantly surprised by how friendly the staff were and that they could ID all their tropicals. They also have little tiny tropicals (for faery gardens, I think) which fit very well in a crestie tank - I like to plant small and let them grow in. Though so far I've killed everything but the umbrella tree and the snake's tongue! Hoping for better luck with the EG&G plants.
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --

There really is no accurate listing of plants for crested geckos, nor for virtually anything else. Iguanas and some tortoises actually have lists of plants which have been tested to some degree. Every species has different adaptations and what is poisonous to one is lunch to another. Since crested geckos are not plant-eaters, such a list is kind of pointless, as many hypothetically toxic plants would be safe. Avoid plants covered by spines, toxic hairs, or leaky saps and you should be fine [apart from those plants which might have desirable leaky saps, though I can't think of any at the moment].
    The trend is to post names and numbers of "pets" here. That seems...um...bulky.
    23+ species of salamander
    28+ families and subfamilies of reptile, amphibian, and arachnid.
    Only one has a name. The Beast.

Thank you everyone for the help, I'll have to check out the Ellerslie place and hopefully find some plants that will work for my critters
    2 Cresties (Okeg and Chomper) so far.....