Thread: Turtle food ideas

Default Turtle food ideas

My red eared slider is a really picky eater. I mix up her food so she stays interested. Right now she has zoomed gourmet turtle food. It has pellets, shrimp, mealworms, and cranberries. She doesn't like the cranberries. And now she won't eat the pellets. She will eat the worms and shrimp. Local pet stores don't have much of a variety of food, but she won't eat the green sticks of food either. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a type of food she might like. I know the pellets have vitamins and stuff so I'm worried she isn't getting what she needs to stay healthy.

Default Re: Turtle food ideas

Big Al's sells turtle chasers as well as different pellet type foods

I use trout chow as a staple. Also try bits of floating fruit like apple as a treat. Also offer various aquatic plants; one of mine loves duckweed, the other loves moss. Try earthworms, feeder fish and frozen pinkies as treats and for variety.

Also be sure your husbandry practices are up to par, especially as winter has set in. IME a healthy, happy turtle is rarely a picky turtle.
    Ian Kanda

What Ian said. Husbandry is really important with aquatic turtles, make sure the UV bulb is replaced regularly and she has a good basking spot as well. Greens floating on top, chopped shrimp, chopped smelt, pellets, earthworms, superworms, crickets - lots of variety out there to offer sliders.
    Jason Clevett
    Award-Winning Reptile Parties - Now In Edmonton!
    www.edmontonreptileparties.com
    www.calgaryreptileparties.com

She has a big basking area with lamps. She just started laying eggs in the last month or so which has made her really weird about what she eats. There's no male turtle. So I guess I was just wondering if she's picky because she's uncomfortable? Or if that has anything to do with it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by repparty View Post
    What Ian said. Husbandry is really important with aquatic turtles, make sure the UV bulb is replaced regularly and she has a good basking spot as well. Greens floating on top, chopped shrimp, chopped smelt, pellets, earthworms, superworms, crickets - lots of variety out there to offer sliders.

Anorexia is often the first and only symptom of pain or discomfort in reptiles. Offer her a place to lay her eggs, and consider a veterinary visit. Dystocia or "egg-binding" can be a serious problem. This may or may not be the problem, but best be safe than sorry.
    Ian Kanda

My turtle loves horn worms as a treat which PetSmart always seems to have. She also LOVES a piece of banana from time to time. She also won't eat the cranberries from the gourmet turtle food.
    ~Lauren~
    Keanu the Reeves Turtle, 3 Tiger Sallies- Benedict, Carlton and the 12 (ish) year old Buddy, Lavender the Leopard Gecko, Marvin and Elvis the guinea pigs, Hoodoo the gargoyle gecko, Irwin, a childrens python, Tiberius the Corn Snake, Sherlock the Cat, and Lacey the Dog

If the environment is set up with everything it needs, water quality is good, UV are replaced when they need to be, temperature is good, I agree a vet visit would be worth while. Another thing that would be of benefit is to keep a journal of weight, if she doesn't eat well for a while but has consistent weight it won't be as concerning. Another that hasn't been mentioned is the type of substrate being used in the enclosure. If there is gravel that is of edible size sometimes these guys will get impacted, which will really effect there appetite not to mention other issues. I recommend to either have nothing or fairly large smooth pebbles so this isn't an issue.

Frozen Krill is also a good food type to offer in combination with the other things already mentioned. The pigment in the krill really help with the red coloring on the turtle, and will ensure it stays nice and bright.