Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axolotl parasites.

Default Axolotl parasites.

I'm new to owning axolotls and I've purchased my first around two months ago. A few weeks ago I noticed a worm popping out of his skin around the gills. I thought it was part of his gill structure until today when I found him after he shed with another worm by his gill and a few yellow spots that resemble the area around the worms that have already popped out. I'm thinking that he has round worms but I don't know if they generally protrude out of the skin. What can I do to help him? Are these actually round worms? I'll post some pics later. Thanks.

Default Re: Axolotl parasites.

Roundworms are internal parasites; they wouldn't be on the gills. I havn't personally seen any axolotl parasites. If this is an axolotl it would be captive bred; there are no wild caught specimens in Canada to my knowledge. Could it have been mixed with other animals of wild-caught origin? This may have been the source of the parasite. Are the worms truly coming out of the skin, or are they just caught in the gills? If they are coming out of the skin, then that rules out confusion with environmental invertebrates which can be common, and normal.

If you are concerned, I recommend a veterinary visit. Sooner if your salamander is acting sick/isn't eating.

Ian
    Ian Kanda

This is the parasite(s). It's a little hard to see. I'll try to get more later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmm I am curious too, never had experience with any worms with my
    Axolotl

and never heard of it before..
    Alexanderyana Aka Ellie
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon, 40 Leapord/Crestied ,Gargoyle ,Fat Tail Geckos,0.1.0 Cuban Knight Anole,1.1.0 Diamond Back Turtle, 0.1.0 Black Breasted Leaf Turtle. 1.1.0. Corn Snakes, 1.0.0 Sand Boa,1.0.0 Bumblee Bee BP,0.0.1 Lemon Pastel BP, 1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake, 0.0.2 Axolotls,0.0.5 Trantulas, 3 Cats, 2 Dogs.

It's hard for me to see it in the picture, but it looks like it is coming out of the skin behind the gills; therefore it may not be associated with them at all. Many worms and their larvae live under the skin. I just pulled out a worm as long as it's chameleon host from under it's skin last week. Google Foleyella furcata http://www.matthewbolek.com/publicat.../Foleyella.pdf
    Ian Kanda

I can't tell from the picture, but odds are they're crustaceans. There are a few very aggravating crustacean parasites ["anchor worm" I think is a common name - Lernaea] which attach themselves under the skin of fish, with only the tail sticking out. They, along with Argulus, are fairly common in feeder fish and could easily have gotten to axolotls from there.

Found this interesting link which may be helpful:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/fa/fa11500.pdf
    The trend is to post names and numbers of "pets" here. That seems...um...bulky.
    23+ species of salamander
    28+ families and subfamilies of reptile, amphibian, and arachnid.
    Only one has a name. The Beast.

It seems like an anchor worm. Are there any ways to remove them and kill the larvae without taking it to a vet?

There are the tropical fish treatments but I do not know how well an amphibian would do following the same guidelines.
    I would suspect a much smaller dosage would be administered to not OD the animal, Mark
    Mark's GONE SNAKEE! No PMs please email at gonesnakee@shaw.ca
    Working with select Colubrids (Corns, GB Kings, EIs) and Woma Pythons
    All stock parasite free and established on F/T prey (unless stated otherwise)

Quote Originally Posted by GONESNAKEE! View Post
    There are the tropical fish treatments but I do not know how well an amphibian would do following the same guidelines.
    I would suspect a much smaller dosage would be administered to not OD the animal, Mark
    Api general cure was recommended to me by a guy on Instagram but I can't find anything saying that it's safe for amphibians. Anybody know about it? Thanks.

[Edit]
    It turns out that Api General cure has copper sulphate which it toxic to axolotls.
    Last edited by Wildwestherps; 08-20-2014 at 12:35 PM.

I finally found a drug (Dimilin) that is fine for the axie. Thanks for the help.