Thread: No drainage layer - is it ruined?

Default No drainage layer - is it ruined?

I recently set up a planted exoterra with ABG mix and pothos for a crested gecko. I didn't include a drainage layer; is the setup ruined, and do I need to tear it all down and rebuild?
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --

Default Re: No drainage layer - is it ruined?

I would suggest you rebuild it. It will be hard to maintain good moisture without the soil layer becoming anerobic. A drainage layer will allow you to maintain the perfect moist environment for your cretie.

Dawn
    Jungle Jewel Exotics Visit us on face book at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jungl...56404784421390 We specialize in captive bread dart frogs and dwarf day geckos Over two hundred frogs from 33 species.

Yep, rebuild it. I've made it work previously, but it's always a temporary tank, never a permanent set up.
    Adam Foster 780-757-8538 Orchids, vivaria, and a few other things
    Find me on Flickr: lordoftheswarms

Gotcha. I ordered the right stuff from NEHerp and will tear it down when it arrives.
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --

ah, that sucks. It'll be easier to rebuild now than after all the plants have rooted and really grown in. I'm looking forward to some pictures of the finished project
    Ian Kanda

Here's a very quick picture of the rebuilt enclosure. I'm told that I need more arboreal stuff, so I guess I'll grab some bamboo until I can get some magnaturals...

crestie enclosure.jpg

The soil is a modified ABG mix (basically I left out the tree fern, because I simply couldn't find it) with Zoo Med's Hydroballs as a drainage layer, separated by mesh; the plants are Pothos and, if I remember correctly, some kind of bromeliad which I'm probably going to remove; there's cork bark and sphagnum on the ground for hiding spots and to help maintain soil humidity.

I hope this version of it is okay.
    --
    --