Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ERAS Open House - July 12, 2014, Ritchie Community Centre

Default Re: ERAS Open House - July 12, 2014, Ritchie Community Centre

Providing hubby is home that weekend I would love to come out and help in some way.

For ideas, perhaps have a couple of kiddy style entertainers there (the face painting and 'tattoos' always go over well) and maybe someone who could do balloon animals. Perhaps ERAS can look into having a sticker or pin made up for giveaways for the event or fridge magnets? I know they are costly but could have a lot of our contact info. I know its not a sale as such but maybe someone who wants to sell reptile supplies/feeders for those coming out who are involved with the hobby? I would love to see guys like Mark Blemings, Lance, Mischaal come out with their vivs and live plants and of course Adam if he can have a few orchid and live plants displays? I used to love the types of displays we had with 'Alberta' species in their 'natural' habitat or setup as close to natural. Maybe its something we can have the rattlesnake fellow from Calgary involved with? I also like the idea of having a table with the HerpNation or Reptiles magazines displayed...maybe some of the ERAS library literature. Maybe Gloria Brons would be interested in participating with just a small table of her butterfies/pupae etc.? Just some ideas. A Rep from the Rescue maybe with some of the animals they have available?? (of course depending on scheduling)

If you want to do some raffles and draws I will help with rounding up some prizes. For the 'displays' (best in show etc) I know quite a few people who would definitely give a small gift card. Keep me posted!

Quote Originally Posted by TraceyS View Post
    Providing hubby is home that weekend I would love to come out and help in some way.

For ideas, perhaps have a couple of kiddy style entertainers there (the face painting and 'tattoos' always go over well) and maybe someone who could do balloon animals. Perhaps ERAS can look into having a sticker or pin made up for giveaways for the event or fridge magnets? I know they are costly but could have a lot of our contact info. I know its not a sale as such but maybe someone who wants to sell reptile supplies/feeders for those coming out who are involved with the hobby? I would love to see guys like Mark Blemings, Lance, Mischaal come out with their vivs and live plants and of course Adam if he can have a few orchid and live plants displays? I used to love the types of displays we had with 'Alberta' species in their 'natural' habitat or setup as close to natural. Maybe its something we can have the rattlesnake fellow from Calgary involved with? I also like the idea of having a table with the HerpNation or Reptiles magazines displayed...maybe some of the ERAS library literature. Maybe Gloria Brons would be interested in participating with just a small table of her butterfies/pupae etc.? Just some ideas. A Rep from the Rescue maybe with some of the animals they have available?? (of course depending on scheduling)

If you want to do some raffles and draws I will help with rounding up some prizes. For the 'displays' (best in show etc) I know quite a few people who would definitely give a small gift card. Keep me posted!
    Would this fall under the same category as other eras events(I'm assuming it would) that's would entail people to be members for insurance purposes?

I'd have to look into it, but I don't think so. You don't have to be a member to vend at a show, to come to a meeting etc. so there should be no difference with this event. Membership is always encouraged, as it helps ERAS do what it does, but this event is about hosting our hobby, having fun with our herps, and educating the public about these animals
    Ian Kanda

I'm in if we are in town. Might be glamping though.
    Neil Tyreman
    Arctic Circle Herpetological Supply Co.
    neil.tyreman@alberta-gecko.com
    780-462-8167

I can donate my artistic skills to do a speciality coloring page for the day if you'd like.

Another idea: One year at the Bug Group I belonged to with John Acorn (gosh, am I dating myself or what?), we were asked for the kids to make a craft for best insect using only recycled materials! It was really challenging, but all in good fun and very creative. Many egg carton caterpillars made an appearence. Maybe we could do a similar thing, but with asking them to make reptiles made out of recycled materials?
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    Lots of geckos,lots of snakes, lots of cats,a bunny thrown in there for good measureand a dog

Unfortunately I have committed to coaching 3 hockey teams on the weekends as the head coach. So I am at the arena from 11-7pm every Saturday and Sunday.....But I oh so wanted to do some tegu time on this day.
    Steve Mallet

yellow saharran uromastyx, corn snakes, yellow lab, ball pythons, crested geckos, kingsnakes, boas, chahoua geckos

Ok, folks, the expo has passed, as well as other activities to distract my attention, and it is exactly one month away, time to ramp up the interest and involvement for this event.

We will have a "kitchen" going, plan to have burgers, hot dogs, and beverages for sale. ERAS participants (ie. you'll have a table, bring some animals, whatever) will get free food. I tried encouraging the other execs with the idea that we should have steak for those hosting tables.......

We're going to try to have a couple in house contests. The "rules" aren't going to be that restrictive, we're just trying to have fun and promote involvement. First, we'll have a contest for best educational display. Set up a table and try to educate the public on some herp related theme. Your theme is your choice: husbandry, taxonomy, how to build a better rack, Alberta's indigenous species, whatever.

Second contest will be the 10 gallon challenge. You don't have to have a table to participate, but you do have to set up a 10 gallon aquarium as a herp environment, complete with herpetile inhabitants (we can be generous and extend this to invertebrates), and bring it to the open house for the day.

So far, our list of confirmed participants (ie. with tables) is:
    Ian Kanda
    Colin Sanders
    Kryptonian
    Malatryx
    Vasiliki (love the idea of a craft table)
    houseman and Rhonda
    Alberta Amphibian and Reptile Conservancy
    ERAS Rescue

We can always use more, and can and do want to promote diversity. I'm sure we can easily count on there being a lot of snakes there. I'm going to try bringing an assortment of chelonians and amphibians, probably the tegu. Any ideas on what others plan to bring?

I plan on doing a snake education display based on snakes as pets, so info on the difference in care, temperment etc on your commonly kept species. If theres lots of table space I can definately fill two if it gets full and I can only use one let me know so I dont go overboard.
    http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com
    Kryptonian Reptiles is now on facebook, add as a friend.
    Can't stop playing with my balls!

I'm pretty sure we can accommodate you with 2 tables if you so desire.

I"ll be bringing one of my suriname toads; perhaps some newts, kingsnake or turtle... I"m really getting ansy on the 10 gallon challenge; it'll be fun
    Ian Kanda