Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ERAS Open House - July 12, 2014, Ritchie Community Centre

Default ERAS Open House - July 12, 2014, Ritchie Community Centre

Back in the hallowed days of the founding years of ERAS, we used to hold our meetings in a church, and Ritchie Community Centre was where we held our "shows". In those fledgeling years, not only was our society in its infancy, but so was the hobby in Canada. As such, in our early years our "show" was very much just that - more of a show, and there was very little vending to speak of (very few breeders, very little product available). Members would host tables showing off some of their pets, projects, or educational displays. With time, our hobby and our shows have grown, to where we now host one of western Canada's largest reptile expos - but this has come with the change that our expos have come to focus almost exclusively on vending. This isn't a bad thing, but it has had the effect of us losing the .... personal touch our shows once had, the educational angle has been almost entirely lost, and while there's no doubt the expo has a social aspect, it's predominantly a hectic pace that leaves most of us exhausted by the end of the weekend and putting things back into place for weeks after.

This summer I'm going to try to organise an ERAS event that takes us back to the roots of our shows - an event free to the public where they can come in and see our true passions, interact with us and our companions a little more socially, and perhaps learn a little more about some of our other efforts in the society and the community at large. This will be a one day event, we'll have a bbq taking place (maybe free for members, perhaps also a fund-raising effort for our rescue), and invite members to set up a display table for purposes of showing your pets, projects, or educational display - but no vending. The idea is to be fun, informative, social, and interactive.

This thread is not just to tell people about this show, but to ask our membership what they'd like to do or see at such an event. Personally, I'd like to see us refrain from something along the lines of what is often seen at dog & cat shows (ie. competitions like "Best Labrador Retriever/Chihuahua/American Spitz/etc. in Show"), but I think it would be fine to have competitions on things like educational display, a 10 gallon challenge (how creative/natural can you get setting up a 10 gal. terrarium/aquarium?), naturalistic vivaria, design/innovation competitions (either something along the lines of a free-for-all/show-us-your-best/new-idea that advances our hobby, or maybe a specified solve-this-dilemma type event). Right now, we've got nothing set other than a "let's all come out and do something", but we have to keep in mind this is about 2 and a half months away: it'll be upon us really quick and so we really can't go too extravagant at the moment. That, and we need people to sign up to do displays!

Default Re: ERAS Open House - July 12, 2014, Ritchie Community Centre

we are definately available to display. one idea is maybe we can set up educational talks. set some chairs on the stage with the projector and have a few short scheduled lectures on different subjects. maybe have the option to those displaying to do a talk.Id be more than willing to do one or two myself and make short powepoints.
    http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com
    Kryptonian Reptiles is now on facebook, add as a friend.
    Can't stop playing with my balls!

I would love to do this! Would depend on whether we're home or not though but if we are I would be up for having a table to display.
    0.2.0 Leopard Geckos- Gaia and Jasmine, 1.1.0 Bearded Dragons- Bracken and Petal, 1.0.0 Mexican Rosy Boa- Vlad, 0.0.1 Red Footed Tortoise- Morla, 0.0.1 Blue Tongue Skink- Skittle
    www.facebook.com/AuburnCreations

I like the idea. I have been slowly gearing my tables at the shows more towards display/educational rather that filling my table full of for sale animals packed in deli cups. I'm not saying its a bad thing, just gets a little boring after awhile. This is my plan for the spring show and shows from now on.
    Gary Leverton - Crazy Colubrids
    Quality Canadian Captive Bred

I'm all in and can't wait for this event! I love talking about and sharing herps and this should be the perfect stress free event to do so. It'll be a blast
    Ian Kanda

If we want to set up the projector I can also make up a picture slide show that runs on a loop. Maybe consist it of pictures taken at our shows, from our trips, as well as some pics of both native species and commonly kept pets. I would just need people to submit me pics and Ill search for a few myself. Sooner the better so I have time to build the slideshow.
    http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com
    Kryptonian Reptiles is now on facebook, add as a friend.
    Can't stop playing with my balls!

Lectures/presentations as a rule require dark and quiet conditions, not exactly what we're going for. Besides, we have lectures/presentations at the monthly meetings as well as at AREM, so I think we should try something a little different for a change. But, don't let that stop you from something like that at your table.

I can bring a variety of critters, possibly some tanks for the display and tubs for the basic set ups.
    2.0 Felines, 3.2 Leopard Geckos, 2.2 Crested Geckos, 0.1.2 Gargoyle Gecko 0.1 Chauhoua Gecko, 8.12 Cornsnakes, 1.0 Great Plains Ratsnake, 3.1 Milksnakes, 1.1 Spotted Python, 1.0 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa,
    2.0 Japanese Fire-bellied Newts, 1.1 Spanish Ribbed Newts
    See pics of my crew at: http://malatryx.wordpress.com/

I would certainly be interested in getting involved with this event. Connecting with the public in a method beyond our shows (which are 98% sales now) is vital. Love this
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    Lots of geckos,lots of snakes, lots of cats,a bunny thrown in there for good measureand a dog

Rhonda and I are in. I used to love the old shows with alot of display only. That's how I got started in the hobby. I am looking forward to this event.