Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More bad press I'm afraid!

Default More bad press I'm afraid!

Ollie Meidinger

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Default Re: More bad press I'm afraid!

I saw that posted by Reptiles Magazine as well. From the looks of it at one time they were very well cared for. He went through a major life issue in the loss of his mother. Sometimes events like death, divorce, etc can send someone spiraling. It is tragic that it happened but I feel that the harsh judgement I am seeing in comments should be reserved as this is early in the investigation. I hope that he gets the help that he needs.
    Jason Clevett
    Award-Winning Reptile Parties - Now In Edmonton!
    www.edmontonreptileparties.com
    www.calgaryreptileparties.com

Some obvious mental health issues going on there Nuff Said Mark
    Mark's GONE SNAKEE! No PMs please email at gonesnakee@shaw.ca
    Working with select Colubrids (Corns, GB Kings, EIs) and Woma Pythons
    All stock parasite free and established on F/T prey (unless stated otherwise)

I agree. I hope as a community, if we see something like this developing, that we can offer a helping hand before it gets to such an extent.
    Ian Kanda

Or if someone is feeling overwhelmed and growing through something like that - they can approach us if there are needing assistance..so that we can try and offer some assistance before it gets to this point forsure
    Alexanderyana Aka Ellie
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon, 40 Leapord/Crestied ,Gargoyle ,Fat Tail Geckos,0.1.0 Cuban Knight Anole,1.1.0 Diamond Back Turtle, 0.1.0 Black Breasted Leaf Turtle. 1.1.0. Corn Snakes, 1.0.0 Sand Boa,1.0.0 Bumblee Bee BP,0.0.1 Lemon Pastel BP, 1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake, 0.0.2 Axolotls,0.0.5 Trantulas, 3 Cats, 2 Dogs.

I saw another article on this & it stated upwards of 400 snakes, only TWO still living, sad indeed, Mark
    P.S. I have personally seen great keepers collections take turns for the absolute worse as Jay has mentioned in his post above

I agree; we have indeed already come across smaller events like this in our own backyard. It leaves us wondering if we could have helped earlier.

I hope, following the title of the thread, that the general public does not associate this case with snake keepers in general. I think we agree, as the above discussion indicates, that the type of animal here is irrelevant, and that this is a human issue.
    Ian Kanda

As far as it goes when it comes to mental health issues & animal hoarding/neglect we all know what the number one animal there is & it does not have scales, Mark
    P.S. Meow

Quote Originally Posted by GONESNAKEE! View Post
    I saw another article on this & it stated upwards of 400 snakes, only TWO still living, sad indeed, Mark
    P.S. I have personally seen great keepers collections take turns for the absolute worse as Jay has mentioned in his post above
    Ah, the media. 186 snakes are alive, 240 dead according to this report, and as these people are taking money in for the rehab of those snakes, it might be a more accurate figure. (Or not, and there's a secondary scam. But if you google their rescue name, the FB page looks pretty legit and long-term.)
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by orphia View Post
    Ah, the media. 186 snakes are alive, 240 dead according to this report, and as these people are taking money in for the rehab of those snakes, it might be a more accurate figure. (Or not, and there's a secondary scam. But if you google their rescue name, the FB page looks pretty legit and long-term.)
    It was posted on RC:

LOS ANGELES TIMES (California) 29 January 14 Snake house: Owner arrested after nearly 400 dead pythons found (Ruben Vives)
    An elementary school teacher who was arrested Wednesday after police discovered as many as 400 snakes inside his Santa Ana home may have been lonely after the death of his mother, neighbors said.
    William Buchman, 53, was arrested on animal cruelty charges after police served a search warrant at the home and discovered the pythons, all but two of which were dead and decaying.
    Neighbors had been complaining to police about a stench at the house in the 2900 block of Fernwood Drive for several months.
    "We thought someone was dead," said Forest Long Sr., 62, who lives next door. "We couldn't open up the bedroom windows. My wife started to gag and throw up."
    Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna said he was standing about 200 to 300 feet away as officers were executing the search warrant and could smell the stench.
    It smelled like "death," Bertagna said.
    Bertagna said police had previously tried to talk to the homeowner, but were unable to make contact.
    Animal control officers began building a criminal case against the man about a month ago and served a search warrant as part of the case, Bertagna added.
    Bertagna said the snakes were found throughout the house. By mid-morning, authorities had only searched one room of the house.
    Long said the Buchman -- a teacher at Mariners Elementary School in Newport Beach -- became increasingly reclusive after his mother, a retired teacher, died a few years ago. "We didn't see him much," Long said. "Maybe he became lonely."
    Neighbors knew that Buchman raised snakes and that a delivery man regularly brought mice to the house.
    "We called him the rat man," Long said.
    Long said his wife is relieved that no bodies were found in the home and that they plan to throw a party and open up the windows.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2rqW4vI5a

There is another thread there now with video for those that want to see some disturbing images of a BP morph breeding operation gone horribly wrong, Mark

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-horrors.html