Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Tongue Inquiries

Default Re: Blue Tongue Inquiries

Brooksy, I did not buy a digital thermometer but I'm going to try the ones I have for awhile and see how they work. If they're just terrible I will go out an buy something new.
    I'm going to arrange things today and see how I like it all, once I'm content with how it looks I'll be setting up heat lamps and such and getting the heat gradient worked out.

Thank-you. I'm pretty happy with myself, haha. I feel prepared for almost anything so that's nice.

Barb, that's one thing I'm a bit unsure of. Shedding.

I picked up something called Repti Shedding Aid. Has anyone tried this? Was it worth it? It was kind of a spontaneous buy, I wasn't sure about it but it seemed like a good product. Hopefully that will stop any shedding problems.

I havnt tried Repti-shedding Aid but would fathom a guess that it's one of several dozen of useless products marketed for use with reptiles. Ensuring your lizard is healthy and of optimum hydration is the best way for it to shed without help. This may mean regular baths, offering a humidity gradient or other moisture related options. In my experience, the absolute best way to keep your blue tongue skink happy, healthy, and without retained shed on the toes or tail is to use a soil substrate, with some live plants, a subterranean burrow (PCV pipe) with a mossy hide below. When I got skink as a scarred adult (she had been kept to dry and had missing and injured toes) I did some troubleshooting but for the most part always had to assist with shedding on these problem areas. With my latest settup, I havn't had to help in close to 5 years.
    Ian Kanda

Hmn, well I figured in case of emergency.

Oh well, I have it now. If I need it I can use it.

I appreciate all the advice, thank-you.

Listen to our Pres. he knows alot. But if and when the conditions aren't perfect a little soak and toe wash doesn't hurt. We all try for "perfect" conditions, but sometimes 'go amiss'. The soil subtrate is as close to perfect as you can get, I initially used aspen way too dry! Soil/burrowing is perfect!

The reason I mentioned the thermometer, is how will you know if they are accurate or not? You will need a second type of heat measuring instrument to check accuracy of the analogs instead of trusting a) they are accurate & b)they are positioned correctly to read the true temps. Most people place these incorrectly & are in fact over or under heating their reptiles.
    I mention this from experience. I didn't know better when I got into reptiles and I trusted that the previous owner placed them correctly (they weren't) & that they worked (they were broken) but there was no way to know this without a secondary method. I am lucky that my first reptile didn't suffer from burns from an unregulated UTH (I didn't know about using a rheostat or thermostat with all UTHs) & not being aware of how hot the hot spot actually was. I just hope my mistakes can help you & your future BTS.
    I look forward to pics when you get one!
    -Meg-

I'm taking everything everyone says into consideration. It's all good advice! I'm getting more and more excited for this critter.
    By the end of the week I'll have everything set up and such. If I'm unsure about anything, I'll ask here.

Thanks a lot guys and don't worry, I'll absolutely post pictures when I get one.

Parka, you have it on your shelf; don't be afraid to use it. I can't see it hurting and it might help out a bit in a pinch.

I appreciate the confidence in my knowledge, but as with every opinion and viewpoint, do take with a pinch of salt. I certainly am far from knowing everything.
    Ian Kanda

That's what I kind of though. I don't think there's being 'too prepared' for pets..They throw so many curve balls sometimes.

And thank-you. I really do appreciate what you and everyone has said and I'm putting a lot of what everyone is telling me to use.
    I think you're extremely knowledgeable and I hope you don't mind if I message you any time I have questions.