Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List of Breeders.

Default Re: List of Breeders.

I don't think there'd be any harm in doing up a list like TARAS has, and including every "known" breeder and allowing for people to speak up and have their name added to the list as well, as long as there was a disclaimer like Mark mentioned of saying that ERAS is not affiliated or actively supporting anyone on the list, it is for informational purposes only and up to the reader to do their research.

Another option could be to compile a list of breeders based solely on names provided by those in ERAS or TARAS. As in, a question could go out to everyone to send one individual a list of names of breeders of, say, crested geckos, or ball pythons, or whatever reptile in question, that they would personally recommend to others. While the list won't necessarily be all-inclusive or infallible, it would at least provide a list of names of breeders that someone would be comfortable purchasing from. Again, it'll be up to the reader to do further research, but it might be better than doing a Google search of breeders in Alberta and including any name that shows up.

I can see this having a lot of potential and being quite beneficial, especially to newcomers, but I admit I don't know the intricate workings or legalities of making something like this a reality.
    ~Cassi
    https://www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography
    1.1 Leopard Geckos, 2.8 Crested Geckos, 1.2 Tokay Geckos, 0.1 Gargoyle Gecko, 0.1 AFT Gecko, 1.0 Chinese Cave Gecko, 0.1 Chahoua Gecko, 0.1 Chinese Water Dragon, 1.2 Red-Eyed Crocodile Skinks, 0.1 Five-Lined Skink, 0.0.1 B. boehmei

I wouldn't mind doing it. Though I don't have any contacts, and would need approval from whom ever runs this show.

"Back in the day", ERAS used to distribute a member's list with names, phone numbers and species kept to all it's members. The goal was to allow for people to find people working with the same species to share tips, or put people in touch with potential breeders. With the rise of the internet and the forums we have today, this became an obsolete practice.

We can definately look into creating an "advertiser's links" part to our page so you don't have to keep refreshing to see them all. At the moment, most are free "Thank you's" we've done up for various reasons.

If someone wants to take the time and put together a list into a post, we can sticky it somewhere.
    Ian Kanda

Quote Originally Posted by GONESNAKEE! View Post
    The key thing is having someone willing to apply themselves to making & keeping such a list current, the rest of it will fall into place over time, Cheers Mark
    P.S. I always recommend attending the shows to meet breeders & see who is working with what & how they go about it along with TARAS & ERAS site postings etc.

FANTASTIC point Mark! Best way to check out local breeders is by going to the shows and meeting the breeders in person. Find out how they display and promote their animals, get a feel for their ethics (is it all about the money or are they in it for the long haul). Don't be afraid to ask questions. Find out how long they have been around. Will they answer questions and be content if you don't buy on the spot, or are they pushing for the sale? Can they provide references etc. Do they have a FB page or website where you can check out what they have produced etc... (I'm awful at maintaining the website (fairly labour and time intensive) but update Facebook pretty much daily so the website is more just another 'contact' media).

I did create the list on the TARAS forum a few yrs ago and in reality it is WAY out of date for reasons such as what Mark suggested. Many are now out of the hobby. Some retired but some realized fast that its not as easy as just jumping in, buying lots of pricy critters and then sitting back and expecting to make a quick buck. Sadly this market IS highly competitive but it also shows through passion, stubbornness, determination and purpose, who is there to stay for the right reasons. Hopefully one day I'll get a minute to go back and 'update' the list...sadly, I would be redoing a fair bit of it again next year

Quote Originally Posted by joeysgreen View Post
    "Back in the day", ERAS used to distribute a member's list with names, phone numbers and species kept to all it's members. The goal was to allow for people to find people working with the same species to share tips, or put people in touch with potential breeders. With the rise of the internet and the forums we have today, this became an obsolete practice.

We can definately look into creating an "advertiser's links" part to our page so you don't have to keep refreshing to see them all. At the moment, most are free "Thank you's" we've done up for various reasons.

If someone wants to take the time and put together a list into a post, we can sticky it somewhere.

I wouldn't mind doing it, I am not able to contribute at the meetings as I the distance as well as other reasons doesn't make it reasonable for me but I would be willing to do this if it would help

I think a list is a great idea! My thought is that I would hate to see it be like an "advertisement" of sorts. I know alot of people pay good money for their ads and wouldn't want it to take away from them!
    On the other hand, a list of names and who breeds what would be great. I can't make it to the meetings due to distance, so when I am asked about specific animals, I often can't even give them a name of who to talk to.
    Would it be too much to ask for a small nominal fee for names to be added to the list? The money going of course to the society. I know I wouldn't be adverse to paying abit for the photoart or the geckos to have my name on such a list.
    I mean, it virtually is still advertising.

I know any potential funding would go to the society for such a list. But in all honesty, I have my info in my posts, I have my info on my website on facebook and I post classifieds. There wouldn't be benefit to me for paying to be on a list. I support the societies already.

No ones asking for money. Just a list of who, what, when, where, how, why.

Its been suggested (the post above mine) and I was just putting in my 2c that its a bad idea

This is easy to accomplish. I have a detailed list of hundreds of hobby breeders, and businesses that I created as the previous VP. I have names, contacts, websites, phone numbers, etc.

The proper way to do this would be on a "permission basis", as some people do not want their info published, or only a partial amount. Telephone numbers are considered private for the most part for obvious reasons.

Leave it for the incoming exec to discuss once 2013 convenes, and if a concensus is made I can do this with a simple import into the forums if the hobby breeder or business wants it.

The banner adds are the best medium to advertise also, you get the most exposure.