Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List of Breeders.

Default List of Breeders.

Maybe a section to list local breeders to help promote them. Also I would like to know who to contact, and who breeds what.

Default Re: List of Breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by xeonic View Post
    Maybe a section to list local breeders to help promote them. Also I would like to know who to contact, and who breeds what.
    Not a bad suggestion.

My only concern might be the fact that this society here is a non-profit, and obviously we want to support other local breeders, etc. But, at the same time, I'm not sure what the policies are on 'advertising' businesses on behalf of the society. That's a bit of a grey area for me.

We have paid advertisements at the top of our forum here because proceeds go towards the society. So I'm not sure how unpaid, society-posted advertisements for breeders (ei: A list of people to contact to buy animals) works.

Good post. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

Obviously there are always people here to help, so if you're looking for something you can post and ask. But I can understand the ease of eliminating a step too.
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    Lots of geckos,lots of snakes, lots of cats,a bunny thrown in there for good measureand a dog

Is there a way to cycle through the paid advertisements at the top of the page? Or is refreshing the page the only way to see different ones?

If a refresh is required, then could this be possible? It would be beneficial at the very least to have an actual viewable list of all the breeders with paid ads and what they breed. For one, this would encourage breeders without ads to consider signing up for one (thus, contributing to ERAS) and it would make it a lot easier to find out who breeds what rather than just posting a wanted classified and asking. It also wouldn't be in violation of promoting non-paying advertisers. Just a thought, anyway.
    ~Cassi
    https://www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography
    1.1 Leopard Geckos, 2.8 Crested Geckos, 1.2 Tokay Geckos, 0.1 Gargoyle Gecko, 0.1 AFT Gecko, 1.0 Chinese Cave Gecko, 0.1 Chahoua Gecko, 0.1 Chinese Water Dragon, 1.2 Red-Eyed Crocodile Skinks, 0.1 Five-Lined Skink, 0.0.1 B. boehmei

If there is a list of breeders on the forum, would that be counter productive of having people wanting to pay for their advertisement on the forum home page?

TARAS had a stickied post done up by Tracey S on our forums.

http://www.albertareptilesociety.org...light=breeders

I personally think its a great idea as some people have been inquiring on TARAS recently for a list as well, but someone needs to take charge and update some changes and future changes as the industry dynamic fluctuates.

I personally think a list is a good thing. If people want additional advertising the top of page ads are a good idea as well (TARAS offeres theres free to any businesses who are TARAS members - unfortunately after several months of trying to get new ones added no one seems to actually know how to change them)

Sorry guys I was in visioning something different. That's a great thread, and I have used it a couple different times myself

I've got something in the works for the 2013 newsletter.
    -

Like I have said before many times, define "breeder", I know my definition & what others definitions are will vary considerably LOL
    Also once listed some folks consider it an endorsement by the society or something, God only knows what some of these "breeders" standards/practices are, can you say snake mills Boys & Girls? I can & do all the time.
    A big disclamer would have to be involved IMHO to avoid the societies being associated with some of these ah "breeders", Nuff Said Mark
    P.S. that said it is nice to have a list for folks to check out to see how is doing what locally, justing playing Devil's Advocate
    Mark's GONE SNAKEE! No PMs please email at gonesnakee@shaw.ca
    Working with select Colubrids (Corns, GB Kings, EIs) and Woma Pythons
    All stock parasite free and established on F/T prey (unless stated otherwise)

I didn't know how much was involved in this request. And I understand the problem with the questionable breeders. Oh well, it is what it is.

The key thing is having someone willing to apply themselves to making & keeping such a list current, the rest of it will fall into place over time, Cheers Mark
    P.S. I always recommend attending the shows to meet breeders & see who is working with what & how they go about it along with TARAS & ERAS site postings etc.
    Mark's GONE SNAKEE! No PMs please email at gonesnakee@shaw.ca
    Working with select Colubrids (Corns, GB Kings, EIs) and Woma Pythons
    All stock parasite free and established on F/T prey (unless stated otherwise)