Thread: Albino african clawed frogs

Default Albino african clawed frogs

Ugly lil things but kind of interesting.
    Anyways a buddy of mine just put two of them in community tank with catfish,angels,ciclids,platy's,mollies,plecos,etc. I was wondering if that is a bad idea. will they eat the fish when they get big enough??

Default Re: Albino african clawed frogs

They're fast, capable of escaping, and can survive just about anything. Alligators won't eat them, but the frogs will eat anything they can get in their mouths. They're likely the primary source of chytrid fungus too.

When the clawed frogs get even half their adult size, you can kiss your smaller, slower platies goodbye. Shortly thereafter you might notice a missing molly, and the tips of your angels will appear to have a trim. You will, however, have a nice, healthy fat frog.

Kevin & Denise Guest

I had two of these guys in my office for years... At first I had a giant bubble eyed gold fish in with the adult albino African clawed frog and I was told if it is around the same size as the frog it will not try to eat it. I came in one day and the fish was in pieces.

I grew up a wild type second frog in a second tank and introduced them together. They would eat anything you dropped in the tank.

The cowboys I worked with would come in my office on my day off and feed it anything and everything alive they could. Fish, bugs found outside, parts of their lunch. The pellets that I fed them, the guys would keep feeding it until the frogs looked lumpy and would not take anymore.. their logic was.. "it kept eating, it must be still hungry".

Do be surprised if it is the only thing left in the tank... they are eating machines.

Denise