Thread: How to keep humidity in my terrarium

Default How to keep humidity in my terrarium

I need some advice on keeping the heat and humidity in my terrarium. I have a adult Australian tree frog (white dumpy tree frog). I bought this new terrarium for him that will have better air circulation since the last one was a fish tank. Since this new one has the mesh top Iím having a hard time keeping it humid and hot.. he spends most of the day under his heat lamp (poor lil guy)... Iíve put a strip of plastic wrap over the top leaving some room for air to go through but it isnít helping. What do you guys do for this? Heís not his happy bright green but brown and i know its due to the cold and being to dry.

Default Re: How to keep humidity in my terrarium

What kind of terrarium did you buy? One of those vertical Exo-Terra kinds?

I don't know if this will help as I don't have frogs or know anything about them, but I do have a water dragon who requires high heat and humidity and has a mesh screen lid on a horizontal tank.
    For humidity, I used packing tape on both sides of the lid to cover about half of it, and also use a Fogger (on a timer) and have two pools of water with pumps/filters. He is also misted twice a day.

For heat, along with a basking light I also have a heat lamp and, for cold nights, a ceramic heat emitter. I also use a UTH under his pool so he's getting warmth from both directions and this keeps the overall temps where they need to be.

He's in a 60 gallon tank, and I can easily keep his overall temp above 82F (has a gradient of 82-88F) and his humidity above 60% (usually between 60-80%) during the day.

Hopefully frog experts will chime in, but I'm hoping that maybe one of these ideas would work for you in the meantime.
    ~Cassi
    https://www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography
    1.1 Leopard Geckos, 2.8 Crested Geckos, 1.2 Tokay Geckos, 0.1 Gargoyle Gecko, 0.1 AFT Gecko, 1.0 Chinese Cave Gecko, 0.1 Chahoua Gecko, 0.1 Chinese Water Dragon, 1.2 Red-Eyed Crocodile Skinks, 0.1 Five-Lined Skink, 0.0.1 B. boehmei

Its a horizonal tank with the front that opens since he's a tree topper. I have one huge pool for him and i soak the dirt every other day since it drys out to quicky. I dont have a fogger so i'm going to get one. He has a red heat lamp that i keep on him 24/7 and a day lamp that i turn off at night.. the tank is around a 30 to 40 gal

If you plant the tank, it will hold more humidity.
    Busy building an amphibian army.....

plant the tank and cover the mesh with plexiglass,glass or good ol' saran wrap.
    the exos are NOT air tight so you can cover the whole top with no issues.
    I honestly found fish tanks better for humidity.
    I would never use exos again for anything that required humidity higher than a crested gecko.
    -

I found a warm damp cloth draped over the top of the enclosure helps to boost the humidity and hold it in without completely blocking the air flow.
    1.2 crested geckos: male-spitfire. Females-coco, bonnie. 0.1gargoyle gecko: Marvin. 9.10 corn snakes, 0.1 Florida king snake, 1.1 house snakes, 1.0 panther chameleon, 0.0.4 poison dart frogs
    WWW.CANHERP.COM

problem is it stays neither warm nor damp for any amount of time.
    -

True this only worked as I was home most of the day so was able to keep it moist all day!! I've also heard that having a small water feature in the tank helps with humidity as well as the planted vivariums help of course. If your not interested in a full out planted Viv I have at least one potted plant in with all of my geckos which helps the humidity and is still fairly low maintenance.
    1.2 crested geckos: male-spitfire. Females-coco, bonnie. 0.1gargoyle gecko: Marvin. 9.10 corn snakes, 0.1 Florida king snake, 1.1 house snakes, 1.0 panther chameleon, 0.0.4 poison dart frogs
    WWW.CANHERP.COM

My exos stay at 80% or above humidity with just keeping them live planted and misted in the evenings. CFL bulbs can keep a tank plenty warm during the day and room temp for a night time drop. UTH if you need a little more umph day or night. Put a piece of glass/plexiglas/acrylic cut to size to fit on top of the mesh on the side not covered by a light helps with both humidity and heat too.

Another thing you could try is a water area, even covered with moss, with a aeration stone from any aquarium and an air pump running beneath the water line as long as you keep some sort of false bottom. Helps to get moisture into the air.

how to keep humidity in my snake tank?