Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Build for my Boa

Talking New Build for my Boa

Well big thanks to Walker for helping me throw this together. It was time for something bigger for my boa, Nagini.

Supplies for the enclosure cost me a total of 170 dollars and consisted of:

-3 sheets of pine plywood
    -1 36 inch piano hinge
    -2 latches
    -1 piece of plexiglass originally bought for another project
    -2 packages of screws
    -2 cans of water based varathane
    - 1 36 inch plastic vent
    -my dads garage and all tools within =)

The inside dimensions of the tank are 48L x 36D x 24H

Eventually I want to add slate tiles to the floor of the enclosure.

First we cut the pieces we needed and screwed the sides to the bottom and the top.
    http://

Next we screwed the vent over the gap at the back

Added the piano hinge and the door which we had premade from two pieces of plywood and the piece of plexiglass

We put two coats of satin finish water based varathane and attached the latches for the door

Finally I added aspen shavings, a heat pad under the back corner, a large stone hide, climbing branch and water dish. And Nagini, my adult female boa constrictor was ready to move into her new home.
    1.0 felis catus 1.0 python regius 3.5 Elaphe Guttata Guttata 0.1 boa constrictor 0.1 morelia spilota mcdowelli 1.0 Charina (Lichanura) trivirgata trivirgata 0.1 lampropeltis getula spledida 0.1 lampropeltis triangulum sinaloae 0.1 rhacodatylus lechianus lechianus 4.0 betta splendens 0.0.6 danio rerio 0.0.2 c. clypeatus? 1.0 Fiance (homo sapien)

Default Re: New Build for my Boa

looks good!

That looks awesome! And great fun to make
    0.1 Ball Python,1.0 Suriname Red Tail Boa, 0.1 Grammastola Rosea1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.1 Feline

looks great! i love the ventalation that never quite crossed my mine to do! great idea, looks great

Looks really good... When we are able to move and I have more room, I might be able to use your idea and build new cages for my two Boas. They are in nice size cages right now (4x2x2 feet), but I would like to put them in something bigger eventually...

I use a bucket with a large surface area for my Boa's water though, they kept tipping what you are using...
    Steve
    9 Cornsnakes
    11 Kings/Milks
    3 American Ratsnakes
    1 Jungle Carpet Python

Thanks guys. =)

yeah it turned out pretty well especially for being my first DIY. My girl is really decent about not tipping her water dish over lol so im lucky. She's only ever tipped it once and i've had her for a year, that was a plastic dog bowl too.

Quote Originally Posted by beckys_dad98 View Post
    Looks really good... When we are able to move and I have more room, I might be able to use your idea and build new cages for my two Boas. They are in nice size cages right now (4x2x2 feet), but I would like to put them in something bigger eventually...

I use a bucket with a large surface area for my Boa's water though, they kept tipping what you are using...
    Steve
    as for the ventilation it was convenient =) Nagini is a nose rubber so I couldn't use any type of screen. We just happened to walk past these in home depot while we were getting other supplies.
    1.0 felis catus 1.0 python regius 3.5 Elaphe Guttata Guttata 0.1 boa constrictor 0.1 morelia spilota mcdowelli 1.0 Charina (Lichanura) trivirgata trivirgata 0.1 lampropeltis getula spledida 0.1 lampropeltis triangulum sinaloae 0.1 rhacodatylus lechianus lechianus 4.0 betta splendens 0.0.6 danio rerio 0.0.2 c. clypeatus? 1.0 Fiance (homo sapien)

Did you seal the inside of the enclosure?

If not Id recommend it, boas can tip water dishes very easily and when they urinate it can be quiet wet. This will soak into your wood and be impossible to remove.
    Ryan
    Revolution Boas
    www.facebook.com/revboas

Agreed. IMHO I would have gone with four coats of the varathane to seal first as opposed to two and run a complete bead of latex or other sealant/caulking in all the seams. I'm not a big fan of wood but if done correctly it can work great. Just don't want to see you tossing something that you put a lot of time and effort into because a water bowl was dumped causing mildew/mold etc or urine soaking into wood causing even more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionBoas View Post
    Did you seal the inside of the enclosure?

If not Id recommend it, boas can tip water dishes very easily and when they urinate it can be quiet wet. This will soak into your wood and be impossible to remove.
    ~ Tracey ~
    Mom to 5 and a min Aus Shepherd and two cats

Quote Originally Posted by TraceyS View Post
    Agreed. IMHO I would have gone with four coats of the varathane to seal first as opposed to two and run a complete bead of latex or other sealant/caulking in all the seams. I'm not a big fan of wood but if done correctly it can work great. Just don't want to see you tossing something that you put a lot of time and effort into because a water bowl was dumped causing mildew/mold etc or urine soaking into wood causing even more issues.
    Just out of curiosity when you say ur not a fan of wood what material do you use. i have to build an enclosure for my boa, mamgrove monitor, chinese water dragon and possibly bearded dragon and want ideas On what material would be the best to make a high humidity cage out of?
    1.1 ball python 1.0 crested gecko 0.1 boa constrictor 1.0 chinese water dragon 0.1 bearded dragon 1.0 mangrove monitor 0.0.1 rose hair tarantula 1.2.18 african soft furs

[QUOTE=kris kozjak;214103]Just out of curiosity when you say ur not a fan of wood what material do you use. i have to build an enclosure for my boa, mamgrove monitor, chinese water dragon and possibly bearded dragon and want ideas On what material would be the best to make a high humidity cage out of? sorry i meant mangrove* spelling error
    1.1 ball python 1.0 crested gecko 0.1 boa constrictor 1.0 chinese water dragon 0.1 bearded dragon 1.0 mangrove monitor 0.0.1 rose hair tarantula 1.2.18 african soft furs