Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Gnarly Jewel"

Default "The Gnarly Jewel"

Yes, this tank now has a name and a new thread. If you guys dont like reading, you can always watch my quick videos, but if you do there is a description of everything below the pictures of the freshly planted tank. Thanks for looking!

Also, I'm available to build another custom tank now, so if you want a one of a kind display tank for yourself send me a message. Serious enquiries only though, thanks!

"The Gnarly Jewel" - Finished! - YouTube

Electronic Stuff
    -Built in air circulation ductwork. The fan intakes air behind the base of the bromeliades, and then blows it out the top towards the front to help reduce condensation (Silverstone Suscool 81 fan)
    - Sharper Image EV-HD10 Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier plumbed into the fan ductwork from the back side of the tank.
    -Mistking with 4 deluxe misting nozzles
    -Two 24" HOT5 fluorescent lights mounted to the top of the canopy
    -Built in canopy fan that came with the canopy

Background
    -A thin layer of silicone (GE SCS 1200) was first used to cover the back pane's entire surface
    -All the foaming was done in small stages as each piece of driftwood was added. Foam used was black Touch n' Foam "Landscape"
    -Background is covered with 2-3 layers of silicone and dried peat moss.

Substrate
    -Orchid bark
    -Orchid charcoal
    -Spahgnum moss
    -Oak leaves
    -Homemade Clay substrate
    -And a final layer of Oak leaf litter

Plants
    -Various species of Masdevallia in the foreground
    -Neoregelia "Cheers" stuck into foam
    -Oak leaf ficus pumila pinned using aluminum wire
    -Peperomia prostrata and rotundifolia trailing off the driftwood
    -Java and christmas moss wrapped around driftwood using cotton thread.

Default Re: "The Gnarly Jewel"

There are no words, Grimm. Your work, as always, takes my breath away.
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    Lots of geckos,lots of snakes, lots of cats,a bunny thrown in there for good measureand a dog

Absolutely awesome!!!! Who/what is this tank for? Very, very awesome!
    0.1 Black Mexican Kingsnake, 1.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 0.0.1 Cherryhead Tortoise, 0.0.2 Schneider's skinks, 0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra, 1.0 Boa Constrictor, 1.1 Trans Pecos Ratsnakes, 1.0 Keyan Sand Boa.
    Pictures: http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/forum/album.php?u=13435

Thats really sweet man, I dont think ive ever seen a sweeter planted cage than that

Stunning!!

I do have a couple questions about drift wood. How hard is it to come by? How much would a chunk of drift wood the size you used go for about? And with the plants on/around it mixed with high humidity cause it to decompose fairly fast? Very stunning work btw. I may have to hire you for a project in the future if you don't mind.

This is amazing!!!!!!!
    -Meg-

Thanks to everyone so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdling View Post
    Absolutely awesome!!!! Who/what is this tank for? Very, very awesome!
    It is actually for a guy and his wife that live in Vancouver. He is driving the tank out there today. The tank will house 4-5 Varadero dart frogs I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tychodragon View Post
    Thats really sweet man, I dont think ive ever seen a sweeter planted cage than that
    Thanks bud. My personal display tank is a lot more grown in and mature so I tend to favour it no matter what :P

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTheMad View Post
    I do have a couple questions about drift wood. How hard is it to come by? How much would a chunk of drift wood the size you used go for about? And with the plants on/around it mixed with high humidity cause it to decompose fairly fast? Very stunning work btw. I may have to hire you for a project in the future if you don't mind.
    The structure is actually built using 8-10 single pieces of wood, so it isnt just a matter of picking out one wicked hunk and plopping it in a tank haha. I get it all from the US, from a website called thedriftwoodstore.com
    It is all driftwood that has been submerged for many many years, so it does well in the humid environment.
    And sure if you are serious about a display down the road send me a message. I always have other sweet design ideas in mind.

Grimm as usual your work is absolutely stunning. Just wondering about how you would go about cleaning the walls with the silicone moss composite or do you have to worry about that?
    Dragonfly Creations
    Designing backgrounds & accessories
    2.0.0 Golden Geckos: Davidson/Noel; 0.2.0 Leos: Althaea/Sue; 1.1.0 Mossies: Pride/Joy; 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Lunor; 2.2.0 Cornsnakes: Calypso/Maiia/Dante/Mochaccino; 1.0.0 Desert KS: Mosaic; 0.3.0 BPs: Taz/Gilligan/Skipper; 0.0.2 Tiger Salamanders: Skeeter/Skooter

Just beautiful.
    2 Corn snake, 3 Kingsnakes,1Normal Ball Python, 1 pastel Ball python,1 KSB, 1 Childrens Python, 1 African House snake,1 checkered Gartner snake, 1 Radiated Rat snake, 1 Coastal carpet python,1 uromasystx, 1Turners gecko
    3 Leopard Geckos, 1 Bearded Dragon, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 budgies and 2 Cockatiel