Thread: Coating driftwood for a live viv?

Default Coating driftwood for a live viv?

Can someone tell me a safe way to "waterproof" driftwood for a live viv, to keep it from molding?
    Ryan
    Held captive by a 3yr old Russian Tort "Sahara", 0.1 rescue RETF, 0.0.1 Green Tree Frog, 0.1 Whites Tree Frog "Steven" , ​1.1 Blue Phase Whites Tree Frog "Ricky" and "Evan" 0.0.1 Herman's Tortoise "Splash"

Default Re: Coating driftwood for a live viv?

Non-oil Waterproof Varathane, typically for outdoor use. Not used it myself, but have heard numerous people in European forums using it for coating their high humidity wooden enclosures.
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    Lots of geckos,lots of snakes, lots of cats,a bunny thrown in there for good measureand a dog

Good driftwood is very resistant to rot and mold that's why it's pricier. IMO it would be a waste to coat them. Mold will appear in most new tanks and if you have micro-Fauna like springtails and isopods they will take care of it. The coating is done for driftwood that is not very waterlogged and is light and not too resistant to rotting in humid conditions. By the time you coat is the cost and labor involved make spending the extra money to get the good stuff make more sense. Just my humble opinion. I have both types of driftwood and Microfauna if you need anything. Hope that helps.
    "Don't get my attitude confused with my personality. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are."

Thanks, I pm'd you
    Ryan
    Held captive by a 3yr old Russian Tort "Sahara", 0.1 rescue RETF, 0.0.1 Green Tree Frog, 0.1 Whites Tree Frog "Steven" , ​1.1 Blue Phase Whites Tree Frog "Ricky" and "Evan" 0.0.1 Herman's Tortoise "Splash"