Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing CalgaryReptileExpo.com!

Default Re: Introducing CalgaryReptileExpo.com!

I wish they were more often but that's just because I love the atmosphere and seeing everything. I was wondering, is the Calgary show bigger and if so by how much? I think it was Ian posted pictures of something down in the states that was absolutely massive. Just wondering if there are any BIG ones that go on as well around here.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybirds View Post
    I wish they were more often but that's just because I love the atmosphere and seeing everything. I was wondering, is the Calgary show bigger and if so by how much? I think it was Ian posted pictures of something down in the states that was absolutely massive. Just wondering if there are any BIG ones that go on as well around here.
    I haven't been anything but the ERAS shows I'm afraid, but the WCRE sounds like it would be pretty hefty.
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 Leopard gecko, 0.1 Gargoyle Gecko, 0.1 Leachie Gecko, 0.1 Albino BP, 1.0 Pied BP, 0.1 Desert Pinstripe BP, 0.2 Cats, 0.1 Dog

The US shows are massive... it would be the equivilant of having the ERAS show at Northlands. But the thing to remember about the US is population, there are way more people overall and they are less spread out. A city like Los Angeles for example has the greater LA area - Santa Monica, Hollywood, Anaheim, and a population of almost four million people. Then you have cities like San Diego, Bakersfield, and Santa Barbara within a reasonable driving distance. So a show in a major centre like that could draw 20'000 people. A city like Edmonton or Calgary with a million people simply won't.

The Calgary and Edmonton shows have similarities and differences, and the good thing is both societies share ideas and what has worked and has not worked in order to make the shows as a whole stronger.
    Jason Clevett
    Award-Winning Reptile Parties - Now In Edmonton!
    www.edmontonreptileparties.com
    www.calgaryreptileparties.com

Yes, the show I went to was in Chicago. I think there's 10 million people withen a 3hr drive of the place. They won't announce the attendance but figures were anywhere from 15 to 50 thousand.

The largest show in Western Canada is the WCRE in Reddeer. It's a good time, with lots to see and people to hang out with, but pales in comparison to what can be found south of the border.

I think Alberta is blessed to have 6 shows each year. I don't think I'd want to see them happen every month like they do in some places though. It'd turn an exciting weekend into a run-of-the-mill event.
    Ian Kanda
    I'm happy to represent both the herp hobby and conservation.
    Please donate here to save gartersnakes! http://igg.me/p/725959/x/6825185

Calgarys show is a lot smaller to any.of the other shows in western Canada for some reason not sure why but I still attend it

It fluctuates. ERAS and TARAS shows average the same in size, however there is cyclic variance. TARAS used to be always slightly larger, then ERAS really started to take off and TARAS ran into some venue issues that it had to overcome.
    Ian Kanda
    I'm happy to represent both the herp hobby and conservation.
    Please donate here to save gartersnakes! http://igg.me/p/725959/x/6825185

I c I c thanks Ian

There are only a handful of tables left and prices increase April 1st. Now is the time to secure your spot at the show before they are gone.
    Jason Clevett
    Award-Winning Reptile Parties - Now In Edmonton!
    www.edmontonreptileparties.com
    www.calgaryreptileparties.com