Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Everted cloaca?! Emergency!!

Exclamation Everted cloaca?! Emergency!!

Oh god I need help. This morning I checked again for eggs, removed three, and left her alone for the day. Just now, I checked on her and saw that she had laid FIVE MORE eggs (total count is now 14!!) but I believe she has everted her cloaca. She has a large fleshy mass hanging out of her vent. I don't know how long it's been there, but I'm extremely worried for her.

Someone please help me. The only thing I know to do is to keep it very humid in there, because if the tissues dry out they'll die. I also know there's a chance she'll pull it back in herself, but is there anything to do if she can't??
    If anyone knows what to do, please call or text me at 17807199120
    Attached Images Attached Images
    0.1 Black Mexican Kingsnake, 1.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 0.0.1 Cherryhead Tortoise,, 1.0 Moroccan Uromastyx, 0.0.2 Schneider's skinks, 1.0 Brachypelma albopilosum 0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra 0.0.1 Emperor Scorpion, 1.0 Sinaloan Milksnake, 1.0 Boa Constrictor, 1.1 Trans Pecos Ratsnakes.
    Pictures: http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/forum/album.php?u=13435

Default Re: Everted cloaca?! Emergency!!

I wish I knew specifics to help you out, but all I could do was search google. The instances I saw were not as bad as what hers appears to be so I don't think the sugar bath method that I read on would help. All I can say is see if you can get through to someone at Park vet through an emergency number and they might be able to give you some information in the meantime, if you have not already. I am so sorry and I hope this ends well, really wish I knew exactly what needed to be done.

Thanks for the advice, I thought about a bath but I think I'll wait to see if she'll pull it back in herself. I checked her 45 mins after I saw the everted cloaca and I think she might be working it back it, but I'm really worried because she clearly has more eggs to lay. I misted the laying box and am going to check on her before bed.
    0.1 Black Mexican Kingsnake, 1.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 0.0.1 Cherryhead Tortoise,, 1.0 Moroccan Uromastyx, 0.0.2 Schneider's skinks, 1.0 Brachypelma albopilosum 0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra 0.0.1 Emperor Scorpion, 1.0 Sinaloan Milksnake, 1.0 Boa Constrictor, 1.1 Trans Pecos Ratsnakes.

*HUGS* I also wanted to mention I saw that this sometimes common with snakes laying. I saw one medical about this occurring with egg binding from the strain of pushing, one part mentioned in the context of an egg being present in the prolapse of puncturing it with a needle to release some of the fluids so that it would pass easier. (*Just wanted to clarify, this is what the vet did, it is not me suggesting it. Wouldn't do that in a million years.) Not exactly sure how her situation is just wanted to mention it. Obviously that is just something I read so take it for what that is. Really wish someone with more knowledge would chim in.
    Last edited by angrybirds; 03-03-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Clarification

I realise that you want her to finish laying eggs, but right now that prolapse is still a major concern. That tissue needs to be kept moist and clean, and that is NOT going to happen in her regular enclosure. She should be taken out of there and placed in a tub or something easily sterilised, no substrate except maybe paper or cloth towel. To keep the prolapse moist you can try something like KY jelly or polysporin, do NOT use a petroleum based jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpetologic View Post
    I realise that you want her to finish laying eggs, but right now that prolapse is still a major concern. That tissue needs to be kept moist and clean, and that is NOT going to happen in her regular enclosure. She should be taken out of there and placed in a tub or something easily sterilised, no substrate except maybe paper or cloth towel. To keep the prolapse moist you can try something like KY jelly or polysporin, do NOT use a petroleum based jelly.
    At this point I don't care about the eggs, I just want her to be ok. I will move her to a sterile bin right now, any advice as to how to apply the polysporin?
    Thank you SO MUCH for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybirds View Post
    *HUGS* I also wanted to mention I saw that this sometimes common with snakes laying. I saw one medical about this occurring with egg binding from the strain of pushing, one part mentioned in the context of an egg being present in the prolapse of puncturing it with a needle to release some of the fluids so that it would pass easier. Not exactly sure how her situation is just wanted to mention it. Obviously that is just something I read so take it for what that is. Really wish someone with more knowledge would chim in.
    Don't do this

Your best bit is to see a vet seen there are more eggs in her. In the mean time keep it moist. But I have a question for you Nerdling. How old is the female??
    Last edited by reptilerob; 03-03-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: adding more
    Thunder Bay Reptiles The best prices in the NW Ontario.

Have to agree with Herp for sure, she can't be in anything where huge amounts of bacteria are present or that will cause even more problems and the ky or poly will likely aide a little in helping her if she pulls it back in on her own.
    Hopefully the worst case scenario you have to go through is the remaining eggs need to be aspirated
    (obviously by a vet or an experienced person as it can also be fatal to momma if it isn't done properly) and that she pulls through ok.
    ~Hand selected, high end, Corns, Kings, Milks, House Snakes, Night Snakes and Boas~
    http://www.5starserpents.com
    Love what you do and it will show through! http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=347936

5starserpents@telus.net

Quote Originally Posted by reptilerob View Post
    Don't do this

Your best bit is to see a vet seen there are more eggs in her. In the mean time keep it moist. But I have a question for you Nerdling. How old is the female??
    I wouldn't attempt this on my own, I will take her to the vet if this is necessary. I don't know her exact age, but she is at least 6 years old, maybe as old as 8 or 9.

Ok this is what I have done so far: I moved her into a smaller, clean tank with paper towel as substrate and a single hide. I'm fairly certain I should add a water dish, can someone comment on that? I cleaned the fleshy mass with cotton pads and Qtips covered in polysporin, there was a lot of debris to remove. I think it's totally clean now, no bits or pieces attached.
    I think Polysporin was best to clean it with, but it doesn't seem particularly moisturizing... would KY jelly work better to keep it moist? How often should I re-moisten it? I was thinking every 2 hours or so, any suggestions?