Thread: Another beardie import question...

Default Another beardie import question...

If the person I was buying a beardie from was driving from the states into Canada ,what would need to happen to be able to get his beardie into Canada ??
    I have reptiles ,birds and fish.

Default Re: Another beardie import question...

CITES, Inspection possibly by Fish and Wildlife (unless it falls under Food and Drug like ball pythons did on one batch I have coming), YOU may be required to have paperwork in place..... Scott, contact Canada Customs, they should be able to walk you through it as far as our end. On his end, HE needs to look into it...we are not the US so they have different regulations.

Either way, fees WILL add up quickly and you could be looking well into the hundreds. Customs can be a nightmare!

Thread Derailment,

Tracey: Ball Pythons shouldn't come under Food and Drug. At least not in the two shipments I have had or the third I have coming now.
    Steve Mallet

yellow saharran uromastyx, corn snakes, yellow lab, ball pythons, crested geckos, kingsnakes, boas, chahoua geckos

Quote Originally Posted by Smallet View Post
    Thread Derailment,

Tracey: Ball Pythons shouldn't come under Food and Drug. At least not in the two shipments I have had or the third I have coming now.

Apparently coming in from Britain they categorize differently....even went down in person to customs and walked through all the paperwork with them. I can dig through my papers but yup, they are actually found on the Food and Drug listings because (from the mouth of the customs officer) "they are neither fish nor wildlife"....Snakes are found in abundance on the Food and Drugs listings...covered under everything from skins, to meat to live reptiles. I actually have a copy of an email directly from Fish and Wildlife stating that they have NOTHING whatsoever to do with the import and do NOT need to do an inspection.

To get a single beardie into Canada, provided USFWS has no reason to think it's a commercial shipment, your contact would simply have to complete a 3-177. He would be both the US exporter and the Canadian importer. He would need to call district USFWS and tell them he wants to bring one beardie across as...a gift...and tell them which port and what day he wants to do this. On that day, he arrives at the port and goes to the US Customs office. He takes the animal and the paperwork to them, answers their questions, and they stamp the paper. Odds are, there will be no fees whatsoever. When he gets to Canada Customs, he declares the lizard. Chances are, they could care less, but if he has his US paperwork and makes his declaration, he's likely in the clear, and probably won't be charged anything by them either.

In short:
    3-177
    Phone call
    Show up for inspection
    Declare

if USFWS were to treat it as a commercial shipment...
    Add a requirement for a USFWS export permit
    Add inspection fees
    Add Canada Customs paperwork [possibly - again, on the Canadian side, if it's declared and doesn't appear excessive or illegal, they won't even look at it or the paperwork]
    Add taxes [possibly]

Much of this also depends on the ports involved. Busy ports may choose to be sticklers for fees and details.
    The trend is to post names and numbers of "pets" here. That seems...um...bulky.
    23+ species of salamander
    28+ families and subfamilies of reptile, amphibian, and arachnid.
    Only one has a name. The Beast.

Ya ,its only for two pet beardies

I called around today ,and came up with pretty much everything FrogO said

I'm happy ,these critters should be in my hands in godspeed
    I have reptiles ,birds and fish.

I have found it usually straight forward when dealing with imports. The biggest problem is getting a customs agent that actually knows the rules as well the original person you talked too. If you get one that has never done it before.....OMG it is a pain.
    Steve Mallet

yellow saharran uromastyx, corn snakes, yellow lab, ball pythons, crested geckos, kingsnakes, boas, chahoua geckos