Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Moss pit lounge?

Default Re: Moss pit lounge?

yah....that's what I was trying to say lol.....very well put.
    Carmen

raising teenagers is like nailing jello to a tree

Quote Originally Posted by Herpetologic View Post
    CCing, copying and pasting, etc. There are many ways. Admittedly, not as easy as just dumping it in the public forum for everyone, but it can be done, it just requires more effort. Admittedly, getting new people in the discussion is still an issue. But then again, we're missing an important message:this is the Edmonton Reptile and Amphibian Society, not the Edmonton General Chit Chat Club. People were asked to show their dedication to the society by becoming executives, who stepped up? Not willing to do the work, but definitely willing to complain about it. The people who did step up, well, they want to run the Edmonton Reptile and Amphibian Society, they didn't sign up to run facebook. I don't fault them for not wanting the current trend to continue.

Maybe not you, but I do frequently get PMs from people I have never met who have seen my interest in issues that they share, or to ask my imput on problems I have displayed some experience with. This has often led to some lengthy back'n'forth email exchanges. It's not the end of the world, or even this forum, if people don't hear my 2 cents on the Oilers this season.
    A lot of us are newer for sure. I just joined in September. But as time goes on, I'm starting to really find interest in getting involved with that sector. I'm still new still, however, so I'd rather see how things are run a bit first before making any kind of deep commitment to that.

But none of us are really forgetting that this is ERAS run. And that's a great thing. I love the idea of keeping the main forum reptile related. I'm just afraid of losing some of that community feel we get from being able to chit-chat a bit.

Plus there seems to have been some uncertainty when it comes to setting up our own meetings outside of the ERAS circle (legal issues, ensuring who is responsible, ensuring that ERAS is not directly used in the title to avoid liability, etc). That makes me leary to try anything as a get together outside of the monthly meetings. But if that's something I can clarify with the executives, I'd be more than happy to give that a try as another alternative as well.

It's all about making people happy. I want to make you happy on the forum, Herp, but I also want to maintain being happy when I come here too. I'm guilty of going off-topic, and I certainly don't want to worry about crossing a line by accident.

If we can find a balance, I'd be all for it. I'm trying the Facebook thing with a variety of people, but about 25% of them don't do Facebook. And if I create a Facebook group there for chatting, is that taking away from the forum here? What if we get in reptile topics and waste valuable information on a site where no one can see it?

Lots to think about.

I love hearing everyone's opinions on this, though. Thanks for your calm, logical responses. That's something I really love to read and enjoy, even if it doesn't agree with my view. That's what makes the people here so interesting.
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 Leopard gecko, 0.1 Gargoyle Gecko, 0.1 Leachie Gecko, 0.1 Albino BP, 1.0 Pied BP, 0.1 Desert Pinstripe BP, 0.2 Cats, 0.1 Dog

I'm sure we could create another forum completely seperate from this for those types of things, but then we would be accused of wanting to divide the forum.
    Strawman argument. This has been suggested by those wanting to cut back the banter, only those striving FOR the banter are opposing.

What is wrong with asking for it to be in a singular place? It could solve more problems than just 'getting rid of it completely'. It could slow down, even. Create a greater sense of community. Be in one singular area, so that it doesn't waste the moderators time or resources as much as watching every single thread to make sure we're playing nice.
    You're ignoring the reality that someone still has to set it up and govern it.

I mentioned the 'hidden' factor due to the fact that people here were worried about our representation with the public when they come to this forum for information. It would eliminate that. And it would be out of sight for those who don't wish to see it.
    I think (the exec can correct me if I'm wrong) that this is a very, very minor aspect of what is causing the concern.

For all the people complaining......feel free to create your own forum where you can chat about what you like, and govern it how you see fit.

It's a herp forum...agh.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpetologic View Post
    Strawman argument. This has been suggested by those wanting to cut back the banter, only those striving FOR the banter are opposing.

You're ignoring the reality that someone still has to set it up and govern it.

I think (the exec can correct me if I'm wrong) that this is a very, very minor aspect of what is causing the concern.
    You missed it. I agreed to cut back the banter on the main forum. In all my posts, I have agreed. But by suggesting an alternative, or trying to find an alternative that works for multiple people, it feels like I'm being accused of throwing a temper tantrum against this. I support it completely. Yet there is nothing wrong with wanting to maintain communication beyond reptiles with people here. I have mentioned I am trying the Facebook thing as we speak, but it is proving to have hurdles as well. I bring it up as feedback to add to this topic. I'm trying to help reduce this as well. Suggesting alternatives is how we figure out a way to make multiple people happy with a single decision. Isn't that what we strive for in this community?

In my first post on this thread, I recognize that fact several times, and even made suggestions for how to reduce the load for the Moderators. And some of us have even offered to help, if things have gotten that stressful or difficult. Again, trying to make everyone, including the moderators, comfortable and happy to come here.

It may be a minor thing, but it still affects some of us. Not that it's hard to remove the OT content, but there are some of us that feel there could be a few other things tweaked to make this more effective. Discussion about a topic is never a bad thing. Plus we're all being calm and logical at this point, so there's no harm in bringing up things that might have been overlooked or perhaps doesn't have much feedback.

Like I said, I'm currently trying the Facebook thing, but I need some more feedback from Executives on what is considered 'okay' to do and what is not considered 'okay'. Such as meetings beyond the monthly meeting for legal reasons. If anything, I'm trying to help by offering different prespectives and trying things, rather than just shooting down this suggestion completely.
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 Leopard gecko, 0.1 Gargoyle Gecko, 0.1 Leachie Gecko, 0.1 Albino BP, 1.0 Pied BP, 0.1 Desert Pinstripe BP, 0.2 Cats, 0.1 Dog

Well if the Moss pit is no longer an option for off topic conversation as it was listed as being and a new sub section would be open then there is no real argument. Some people who like the idea of being able to take part in a close knit community type setting to chat about things other then just herps (i.e. working out, music, movies, recipes or whatever) can have that, others can choose just not to look at it. Kinda like people who are phobic of snakes don't have to look in that category.

As for setting it up- the live plants was set up rather quickly. Governing it- someone mentioned warnings and banning. We've all seen regardless of where and what it is there are going to be differences of opinions, that is just life. The outright hostility and aggression from some people can be resolved with a warning or banning if it comes to that. I know it's a pita but is that not something that already takes place- I mean like someone downright attacking others, do they not get banned?

I'm not trying to argue, one way or another I have no say in this matter or how it is going to end. I'm just asking honest questions as I do not know the answers. If they were said I apologize that I missed them.

And AGAIN for the THIRD time I am offering to help set it up and moderate it so that argument is seriously a moot point.
    Dragonfly Creations
    Designing backgrounds & accessories
    2.0.0 Golden Geckos: Davidson/Noel; 0.2.0 Leos: Althaea/Sue; 1.1.0 Mossies: Pride/Joy; 1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Lunor; 2.2.0 Cornsnakes: Calypso/Maiia/Dante/Mochaccino; 1.0.0 Desert KS: Mosaic; 0.3.0 BPs: Taz/Gilligan/Skipper; 0.0.2 Tiger Salamanders: Skeeter/Skooter

Just thought I would throw this up, as it seems that all seem to have various veiwpoints, yet they seem to differ...Almost diametrical opposition actually.

This is a pretty clear statement. Actually I think this should be the last post as the horse has been flogged, knocked down, killed, drug around, given andrenaline directly to the heart, paddled, rejuvenated, and then beat to death again.

ERAS OBJECTIVE: The Edmonton Reptile and Amphibian Society (ERAS) was founded in 1994. Our objectives are the promotion of the study and conservation of reptiles and amphibians and the facilitation of communication between society members. These goals are to be met through the publication of a society journal, the procuring of lecturers in herpetology, and the provision of opportunities for members to meet and discuss herpetological topics.

I'm just afraid of losing some of that community feel we get from being able to chit-chat a bit.
    And that's the caveat. A bit. For some, it has gone beyond 'a bit' and has moved on to being a headache for those running the forum.

I want to make you happy on the forum, Herp, but I also want to maintain being happy when I come here too.
    Uh, I think you've mistaken my point. It's not about my happiness. In many ways, I could hardly care less about some of the banter (there is some I have strong issue with, but not much). I just ignore it. I have that luxury. But once again, as has been said many times by now, the moderators and the executives don't have this same luxury. They have to deal with it. Putting the drivel under a different heading doesn't change this. Hiding it in a special part of the forum that only "subscribed" posters can access doesn't change this. Saying "hey, let's get a chat room" doesn't get accomplished by snapping your fingers. What IS being said by some people here is we want to put MORE WORK on the shoulders of the exec/moderators so that we can have MORE PLAY for ourselves. I'm not saying you can't play, I'm saying you should play at your own expense. ERAS has limited resources, they should be directed towards that which most affects our mandate. Executive and moderator manpower are part of those limited resources. I don't believe the execs want to suppress the social aspect entirely, and I'm not advocating that they do. But running a variant of facebook, suppressing flamewars, proselytizing, casting derision on local businesses, these are NOT in our mandate and they take away from our resources.