Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom enclosure

Default Custom enclosure

Im drawing up some ideas for a custom tank i wanna build this spring for my frilled dragon, but kinda curious what too use on the walls too create some contour for him too climb on, im thinking of using expanding foam under cocofibre but wondering if the foam could be unhealthy??? Any advice???
    Rob
    0.0.1 cali kingsnake. 0.0.1 frilled dragon 1.1. Corn snakes 0.0.1 chineese water dragon

Default Re: Custom enclosure

expanding foam should be fine; many people use it. I would consider sealing it with something a little stronger, as the climbing of a relatively large lizard could tear apart the foam.
    Ian Kanda
    I'm happy to represent both the herp hobby and conservation.
    Please donate here to save gartersnakes! http://igg.me/p/725959/x/6825185

Do you mean instead of coco fibre? Im not 100% sure exactly what it is, ive only seen it on a few videos and was imagining it sort of like a roll of astroturf but made with.... Well coco fibre lol. But im starting too assume now i may have been wrong lol. I thought of using that reptile turf but it just doesnt have the realistic look im after, any ideas?
    Rob
    0.0.1 cali kingsnake. 0.0.1 frilled dragon 1.1. Corn snakes 0.0.1 chineese water dragon

Maybe consider Bird perches bought from you local pet store? drill a 3/8" hole (if enclosure is wood) and they mount easy peasy!

Last edited by REALEVIL1; 02-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    ERAS SUPPORTER SINCE 1995!
    Bryce & Gaby Pollock

Keep in mind your frilly needs alot of floor space to run around, i would plan for 6-8 square feet at minimum! if not 4'x3' even!
    Bryce & Gaby Pollock

Quote Originally Posted by REALEVIL1 View Post
    Keep in mind your frilly needs alot of floor space to run around, i would plan for 6-8 square feet at minimum! if not 4'x3' even!
    Is it bad that every time I hear someone call that lizard 'Frilly', I think of the Adventurers Down Under? Remember the frilled lizard? Ah ha ha.

I like the bird perch idea. And you can make your own bird perches too to save on cost, if you so wish. Those perches can run you $20-$30 easily, when really, they aren't that difficult to make. Wood, a threaded rod, two washers and a wing nut. The trickiest part is cutting the threaded rod. Other than that, it's pretty cost effective.
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 Leopard gecko, 0.1 Gargoyle Gecko, 0.1 Leachie Gecko, 0.1 Albino BP, 1.0 Pied BP, 0.1 Desert Pinstripe BP, 0.2 Cats, 0.1 Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliki View Post
    The trickiest part is cutting the threaded rod. Other than that, it's pretty cost effective.
    if you have one and have room.. hack saw.. 1 minutes tops
    Bryce & Gaby Pollock

You can also use a larger branch and just lag bolt it to a wooden Viv

I used 3 lag bolts and some extra large wasers on the outside to keep them from possibly pulling thru.

Walker. Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. 0.1.0 Basilisk, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Chahua Gecko 0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python Thanks to the ERAS adoption program for her.

Quote Originally Posted by REALEVIL1 View Post
    if you have one and have room.. hack saw.. 1 minutes tops
    For some reason I always mess up my first cut, ha ha. Then again, I haven't had a decent hack saw in ages. Could be my problem.

So what you're saying is, if I need a cut, I can call you?
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 Leopard gecko, 0.1 Gargoyle Gecko, 0.1 Leachie Gecko, 0.1 Albino BP, 1.0 Pied BP, 0.1 Desert Pinstripe BP, 0.2 Cats, 0.1 Dog

I do like the bird perch idea, i diddnt even consider it, Definatly going too incorporate a few now, but its gonna be glass probly so might be a little tougher too do but definatly will figure out a way. but im a little more curious on what i can cover the wall with over top of the expanding foam. I kno it sounds weird but kind of like a carpeted wall lol but not carpet. Just so he can kinda chill wherever he wants weather its on a perch a hammok a fake plant or just on the wall at what ever temp suits him. Im just trin too figure out what would look the most natural, i ki da thought cocofibre but ive never used the stuff
    Rob