• YES

30 65.22%
  • NO

16 34.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Like button

Default Re: Like button

I apologize for being a realist.

I'll bring this up at the next executive meeting and we can Look into the Reality of adding such a thing to the website.

No such thing as a bad idea or Suggestion. there is however a problem with if it can actually be done. we have tried things just this year that we wanted to add and couldn't Do.
    Last edited by Bubba; 12-01-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    My Name is Bubba, And I am addicted to reptiles ...

I am a member on other forums as well that run VBulliten, and there are are "thank yous" and "likes" that seem to get used often. I personally don't think it is a bad idea at all.

If the costs associated for minor upgrades as the society continues to increase our footprint in the reptile community are minimal - then go for it. If it is something that paid ERAS members want, then it is something that should be explored further.

I voted yes.

Quote Originally Posted by lordoftheswarms View Post
    It is important to further the evolution of this forum.
    I can't imagine it being the same forever.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. We need to remember that we need to evolve as more people start joining. If things dont evolve... things die... (not saying over this like issue)

I personally dont know if I would use the like button but I do think it is a good idea. Its an easy way of indicating that you agree with or enjoy what someone else said.
    Brandi & Jason
    0.1 Blue tongue skink - Voldemort a.k.a Voldy 1.3 Corn snakes Tiny, Bonzai, Boo, and Gilbert 1.1 Ball Python Frankenstein a.k.a Franky and Violet 2.1 Brearded dragons Croc, Odile & Nero, 0.0.1 leopard gecko Nova, 0.0.1 banana king - Thor

I voted "Yes", simply because I find such things to be very useful. Consider it this way, if bandwidth is being pulled into one of the deciding factors:

Would it not take up less bandwidth, or equal to, to simply vote: "Like" on a post, rather than have 10-15 people respond afterwards with: "Yes, I agree with this."

I find it also very useful on forums I'm unfamiliar with, especially in regards to information. If I read a post by a member, and it has 'Thank You's or 'Like's from multiple, knowledable people, I feel more comfortable with the information in the post. If it is a statement about husbandry, and over a dozen people 'Like' the information therein, I'm more likely to consider it to be a good sign of valid information.
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    Lots of geckos,lots of snakes, lots of cats,a bunny thrown in there for good measureand a dog

It is my opinion that the bandwidth would be affected minimally if at all. We have an monthly allotment of bandwith that we are allowed, and have never exceeded it to my recollection. Malarkey would be able to answer that from discussions with Boots (Webserver) I think.

My opinion is that these forums are meant to promote communication and discussion.
    Having "like" and "thank you" buttons seems to contradict these objectives and just promotes laziness.
    Ollie Meidinger

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I started all this and all I can say in this matter is Vote, Vote, Vote, Vote, Vote and lets vote again in January based on the poll results, if it is even possible without chewing up to much bandwidth.
    Walker. Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. 0.1.0 Basilisk, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Chahua Gecko 0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python Thanks to the ERAS adoption program for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    My opinion is that these forums are meant to promote communication and discussion.
    Having "like" and "thank you" buttons seems to contradict these objectives and just promotes laziness.
    Hm. I think it would do the opposite, but maybe that's just me. It would encourage more meaningful input on a topic. A person can still 'Like' something, and add a comment to further discussion. But, it also adds the ability for those who are just browsing to show interest in a topic, without filling it with two or three word responses. It gets tedious when a thread of interest gets filled with: "I agree" comments that don't really add value to the topic at hand.

It could go either way, I suppose Forum roulette at it's best.
    - Danielle
    "Snakes are just tails with faces."
    Lots of geckos,lots of snakes, lots of cats,a bunny thrown in there for good measureand a dog

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy, Belle & Daddy View Post
    It is my opinion that the bandwidth would be affected minimally if at all. We have an monthly allotment of bandwith that we are allowed, and have never exceeded it to my recollection. Malarkey would be able to answer that from discussions with Boots (Webserver) I think.
    In a situation like this I would go out on a limb and say that bandwidth is not a concern whatsoever. While that is not really the issue, what I would be more concerned about are as follows:

a) Is there a readily available vBulletin mod of this nature & is it free or have a cost?

b) More importantly, would our vBulletin license and older version support it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    I agree with Ollie 100%

I would also like to note that the poll is open to all forum members and wouldn't necessarily accurately reflect the opinion of ERAS members.

True enough however many of those forum users are potential Eras members and their voice should count as much as a members voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
    I would also like to note that the poll is open to all forum members and wouldn't necessarily accurately reflect the opinion of ERAS members.
    Walker. Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. 0.1.0 Basilisk, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Chahua Gecko 0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python Thanks to the ERAS adoption program for her.