Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Can we have a subsection on plants?

Default Re: Can we have a subsection on plants?

Address the message, not how it's presented, especially from me, when I'm upset. Those of you that know me, should understand that.

/crutch

You need to proof read and edit. Upset or not it's not an excuse. I get angry upset... That's when I close the window instead of posting. I'm not much older but this is something that comes from being an adult being able to control our emotions an not using them as an excuse to say what we want and then Expecting it to be ok later when we have a clear head.

Just my opinion.
    My Name is Bubba, And I am addicted to reptiles ...

You don't have Asperger's Syndrome. I do. Take some drugs to disrupt your ability to control and understand your emotions, conflict resolution, impulsivity, and ability to read social cues. When you experience what it's like, then you will understand it's not as easy for me as it might be for you.
    Adam Foster 780-757-8538 Orchids, vivaria, and a few other things
    Find me on Flickr: lordoftheswarms

Quote Originally Posted by lordoftheswarms View Post
    People gripe about there not being diversity at the shows. All there is is snakes!

Here I am trying to promote a future culture that appreciates diversity, and vivaria, and you fight me over it, instead of taking it to the meeting and letting the membership decide.
    lots of space inthe moss pit or encloser sections.reptile forum=reptile topics
    plant forum=plant topic
    the last time i checked it was a reptile show,i missed the shows this year but id bet there were more than just snakes
    Last edited by Brother Nature; 11-22-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    I have not always been malicious,but putting up with stupid people made me this way

No plant forum, and no vivarium forum exists locally, and it should.
    At the moment the discussion is very disorganized, and near nonexistent because we don't have a forum for this. Encourage the conversation, and it will happen.

I'm done with the topic until January. I've said what I wanted to say.
    Adam Foster 780-757-8538 Orchids, vivaria, and a few other things
    Find me on Flickr: lordoftheswarms

Again. No I don't have that particular disability nor am I on medication.

What I do have is a quick temper and the ability to see how it is and call it as such.

You recognize this ability and I stand by what I said about not posting when upset. Use notepad to form a post and then maybe read it later on and edit it.

I deal with my issue by not posting or Doing exactly what I have suggested.

If this had been done at least 4 pages of this thread could have been avoided. IMO
    My Name is Bubba, And I am addicted to reptiles ...

[QUOTE=lordoftheswarms;182221]No plant forum, and no vivarium forum exists locally, and it should.
    At the moment the discussion is very disorganized, and near nonexistent because we don't have a forum for this.
    hey here is a idea,start one.It cant be that hard or expencive if u looked hard enough im sure u could find local sponsers to cover any cost.
    I have not always been malicious,but putting up with stupid people made me this way

Quote Originally Posted by lordoftheswarms View Post
    Can we have a subsection on plants, or is that what the enclosure subsection is for? A couple people on here are getting pretty into plants, but sometimes it's not really related to the enclosure subtopic, at least in my mind.
    In the reptile (& invertebrate) hobby plants fall directly into the realm of enclosures and are therefore perfectly suited for the current enclosure forum. In my forum experience (which is extensive well beyond the reptile hobby) every so often a request for a sub-forum is made on the assumption that if it is created, the discussions pertaining to whatever the sub-forum topic may be will soon follow. If we build it they will come, so to speak. All too often what really happens is a sub-forum is created and sits idle because there wasn't enough interest to begin with. What I have seen work in the past though is the increase of discussion relating to a particular topic standing out as needing its own sub-forum (ie. a large increase in plant discussion and participation in the general forum). But I do not think we are currently at that level.

Personally, I see no problem with modifying the name and description of the current enclosure forum to accommodate and encourage the discussion of live plants. Then once the discussion increases to the point of needing its own section a sub-forum can be created and the plant related posts can be moved over. Or if the discussion simply isn't there we leave it as is, no harm done. Simple really, no?

What I would like to point out is that when I come to the ERAS forum I browse the New Posts and Unread Posts indexes (as I'm sure most of you do) anyways so it really doesn't matter "where" the thread is kept as it is always brought to my attention regardless. Something to think about.

Good input

Pretty much what I suggested is voted on in January.

I had never even thought about the fact that as long as you have your settings right there really is no need for a subsection just a renaming of the current enclosure forum

Quote Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
    In the reptile (& invertebrate) hobby plants fall directly into the realm of enclosures and are therefore perfectly suited for the current enclosure forum. In my forum experience (which is extensive well beyond the reptile hobby) every so often a request for a sub-forum is made on the assumption that if it is created, the discussions pertaining to whatever the sub-forum topic may be will soon follow. If we build it they will come, so to speak. All too often what really happens is a sub-forum is created and sits idle because there wasn't enough interest to begin with. What I have seen work in the past though is the increase of discussion relating to a particular topic standing out as needing its own sub-forum (ie. a large increase in plant discussion and participation in the general forum). But I do not think we are currently at that level.

Personally, I see no problem with modifying the name and description of the current enclosure forum to accommodate and encourage the discussion of live plants. Then once the discussion increases to the point of needing its own section a sub-forum can be created and the plant related posts can be moved over. Or if the discussion simply isn't there we leave it as is, no harm done. Simple really, no?

What I would like to point out is that when I come to the ERAS forum I browse the New Posts and Unread Posts indexes (as I'm sure most of you do) anyways so it really doesn't matter "where" the thread is kept as it is always brought to my attention regardless. Something to think about.
    Walker. Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. 0.1.0 Basilisk, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Chahua Gecko 0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python Thanks to the ERAS adoption program for her.

Walker, that was a good idea. We'll see how the discussion/vote goes in January.
    Ian Kanda

Thank you and yes Ian that is the nice thing of being involved in a society, nothing happens till the next meeting. So cooler and more informed heads may preside. I may miss the Xmas party as I am trying to get home for a visit with family and friends and it is probably going to coincide with the Xmas party. I will guarentee you that I won't miss the January meeting.
    Walker. Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. 0.1.0 Basilisk, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Chahua Gecko 0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python Thanks to the ERAS adoption program for her.