Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we have a subsection on plants?

Default Re: Can we have a subsection on plants?

That's the point Walker, but with a dedicated forum, it would be more visible, and more organized and more capable of generating the increase in interest that I am striving for. It's not just personal appreciation that is needed, but understanding, and a local hobby that values diversity as well, or the standard animals will be all you will ever see at the shows, and in this hobby.

I'm not interested in vending at ERAS shows, or contributing to the forums if the society doesn't consider additional ways to promote diversity. This last show was a huge let down regarding interest in diversity, with no proposed ways of improving it. I'm sick of the local hobby being about just the animals.
    PJs has some terrestrial plants in their enclosures because I pestered them enough. It looks marginally less tacky now.
    When I built the best vivaria I could for the store, I witnessed the reactions. It was overwhelmingly positive.

There is growing appreciation for the diversity, but so far, Bubba at least, wants me to suck it up and let it be. That's not going to fly.
    I'm taking this to the January meeting.
    Last edited by lordoftheswarms; 11-22-2011 at 01:10 AM.
    Adam Foster 780-757-8538 Orchids, vivaria, and a few other things
    Find me on Flickr: lordoftheswarms

I don't see anyone fighting you over this Adam. The point that I get is that the Database is not designed or powerful enough to easily manage another section or subsection.

Anyway knowledge is knowledge no matter where it is posted so what is the big deal about having a whole section. I don't miss your posts when they come up no matter what section it is in because you always have such awesome plants and vivs to talk about. So you are suceeding in promoting a different and if done right healthier way for the animals.

I disagree about the stacked sterile viv Idea also as you won't find one single rubbermaid in my house unless it holds ASF and Meal worms. I am also seeing more and more people getting interested in going to live Vivs in the forums. This is again because of people like you and I who promote and educate because we care.

Quote Originally Posted by lordoftheswarms View Post
    People gripe about there not being diversity at the shows. All there is is snakes!
    Diversity didn't sell. Why? I think it's because we have a systemic imbalanced emphasis in the hobby (both locally and throughout north america) that is all about keeping the most animals you can, in the tiniest enclosures you can, in the most space efficient way you can.

Here I am trying to promote a future culture that appreciates diversity, and vivaria, and you fight me over it, instead of taking it to the meeting and letting the membership decide.
    Walker. Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. 0.1.0 Basilisk, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Chahua Gecko 0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python Thanks to the ERAS adoption program for her.

Unfortunately though in life we must suck it up sometimes and then take a step back, Get some supercharged batteries for our light and come back shining our light 10 times brighter because the light will always win. It just takes patience.

That's the point Walker, but with a dedicated forum, it would be more visible, and more organized and more capable of generating the increase in interest that I am striving for.

I'm not interested in vending at ERAS shows, or contributing to the forums if the society consider additional ways to promote diversity. This last show was a huge let down regarding interest in diversity, with no proposed ways of improving it. I'm sick of the hobby being about just the animals. There is no appreciation for the diversity, and so far, Bubba at least, wants me to suck it up. That's not going to fly.
    Walker. Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. 0.1.0 Basilisk, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Chahua Gecko 0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python Thanks to the ERAS adoption program for her.

If people want to go back, and see what was said on plants, they have to go through two other forums to get an insignificant amount of threads on it.

I'm serious when I say the society needs to consider additional methods of promoting diversity, or I'm out of here. I'm not having a repeat of the fall show.

Quote Originally Posted by lukelightwalker View Post
    I don't see anyone fighting you over this Adam. The point that I get is that the Database is not designed or powerful enough to easily manage another section or subsection.
    I don't think you are paying attention then. My idea is being shot down before it's been properly considered, given the increases in the interest in vivaria, and plants since the forum was created.

The idea that the database isn't designed, or isn't powerful enough to manage another section seems incredibly ridiculous to me, and convenient for the same people that would have one more section to moderate. We don't live in 1990. We have the technology to run one more section. What a ridiculous notion.
    Last edited by lordoftheswarms; 11-22-2011 at 01:29 AM.

The idea that the database isn't designed, or isn't powerful enough to manage another section seems incredibly ridiculous to me, and convenient for the same people that would have one more section to moderate. We don't live in 1990. We have the technology to run one more section. What a ridiculous notion.
    The idea is that there isn't enough interest in this to fuel an entire plant subsection, and it would end up being a ghost town with one or two people who post on a regular basis, who probably would get upset that more people weren't posting in it; people wouldn't see it because it was tucked away in its own section rather than with the main enclosures group and that would be counter-productive for traffic.

Note that I'm neither endorsing nor censuring this, I'm just attempting to provide some more perspective.
    --
    .5.1 rosy boas, 0.2 leucistic Texas rat snakes, 1.0 blotched king snake, 1.0 eastern indigo snake, 1.0 corn snake
    , 1.0 ball python, 0.1 tri-color hognose snake, 0.1 red mountain rat snake, 1.1.1 crested geckos.
    --

Does the Orchid Society have an online forum ? If the don't, have you considered bringing it forth at your meetings ? You might be able to reach a way larger knowledge base for information sharing if you do get something like going. Might be tough sledding though to get that off the ground.

Even if only one or two members are posting in a specific subsection, doesn't that in and of itself necessitate a section for them? People (even the few) could easily get frustrated scrolling through pages and pages of unrelated "enclosure" posts to find the few threads that are of interest to them. With all the scientific names being used in plant posts, it's not realistic to ask them to use the search feature.

Please keep in mind that I, at this time, have no interest in plants. I don't believe I'm an "advanced" enough collector for that. That being said, I fully respect and support the request. It's NOT unreasonable, and instead of letting this turn into a battle of wills, it seems completely doable.
    Balls: 9.10 normal, albino, pewter, lemon blast, cinnamon, bumblebee, lesser, spider, pastel, mojave, pied, butter ... Boas: 2.2.1 normal, albino, het albino, salmon ... Carpet Pythons: 1.1

Adam, you are compounding the problem. The decision to create a seperate plant forum is about forum function, not whether ERAS embraces diversity. There are a lot of people here that are not "rubbermaid lovers" and appreciate the discussions on vivariums and their plants. The number of people in this thread passionately requesting this forum suggests that it probably isn't going to be used much.

I'm taking this to the January meeting.
    This is always the best course of action and I encourage you to do so. The site suggestions area is a nice place to introduce and discuss an idea, but for action to take place there's nothing like a meeting discussion where members can vote right then and there.

On a side note; people who threaten to leave if they don't get their way historically end up leaving. ERAS is run by the membership as a whole, and won't be pushed into doing something it doesn't desire by the loss of a single member, no matter how significant that member may be. Your contributions are appreciated Adam.

Now as I've said in my first response, I am open to the creation of a plant forum. Let this discussion continue, but we'll see what the response is at the January meeting.
    Ian Kanda

Talking Re: Can we have a subsection on plants?

for me personally I support the idea, I am interested in plants for alot of reasons, including for my reptiles..but mostly because the search option on this forum sucks ....sorry but true ... hugs...maybe cheek kisses lol :0
    It is a forum and I understand that,but like I stated before can we watch threads or have somewhere in your user cp to have a favorites.. everything I find is all over place.. just wish we were more organized..
    Maybe if we need a commitee for that great, I have spare time at work if this could be my contribution to the society ...

I would hate for anyone to leave and I can see both sides of this situation however its not a seperate subseption of dogs or cats, plants are in enclosures and offer so much more to the reptiles and amphibians we are so passionate about ...I know there in enclosures and have no problem with them being in enclosures section but does the enclosures section have subsections..? Then having plant discussions and more inportantly finding them after wouldnt be so difficult...I come on here sometimes after a couple of days and there are like 400-500 posts.. its alot to go through..

I think with this passion sometimes it can cause conflict or disagreements.. and we need to remember that ... we need not to get upset over anything here but if people are willing to make it work and the majority of the society's members want such a place then I have no problem with it or helping with it hugs
    Alexanderyana Aka Ellie
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon, 40 Leapord/Crestied ,Gargoyle ,Fat Tail Geckos,0.1.0 Cuban Knight Anole,1.1.0 Diamond Back Turtle, 0.1.0 Black Breasted Leaf Turtle. 1.1.0. Corn Snakes, 1.0.0 Sand Boa,1.0.0 Bumblee Bee BP,0.0.1 Lemon Pastel BP, 1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake, 0.0.2 Axolotls,0.0.5 Trantulas, 3 Cats, 2 Dogs.