Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we have a subsection on plants?

Default Re: Can we have a subsection on plants?

I would tend to agree with Ian as well. All of these posts etc live in a database, and if you start breaking up that database, then you start to create fragmentation in the database.

What it really sounds like is that you want a plants forum, dedicated to conversations around plants. What this sounds like is a seperate division to discuss multiple topics around plants. This sounds more suited to become its own forum with its own hosting service. I would be more than willing to assist with this idea.
    Tim Petit
    ERAS 2017 Vice President
    Feedback, Concerns, Questions - please email me at vicepresident@edmontonreptiles.com

It's not just in the enclosure forum. Plant discussions are in the Moss pit too.
    I agree about the low traffic forums, which is why I'm not asking for further divisions.

Boas fit well in the snake forum, both taxonomically, and culturally.
    Lighting fits well enough in the enclosure forum.
    Neither aquatic, nor terrestrial plants fit taxonomically, or culturally next to racks of rubbermaids, and troubleshooting of the mechanics of enclosure builds for all the other species that get their own section on the forum.

Meh, I'll just move to canadart.
    Adam Foster 780-757-8538 Orchids, vivaria, and a few other things
    Find me on Flickr: lordoftheswarms

On the TARAS site we have two sections. One for general cage and racking, one for terrariums/vivariums which is dedicated to natural enclosures.
    5.7 Carpet Pythons - 1.1 Woma Pythons - 0.0.1 GTP - 1.1 Mandarin Ratsnakes - 1.1 Unicolor Cribo

Quote Originally Posted by stewjoe View Post
    On the TARAS site we have two sections. One for general cage and racking, one for terrariums/vivariums which is dedicated to natural enclosures.
    As we have learned in the past what Works For Taras does not always work for ERAS and Vise Versa.

Adam while you may Feel your idea is a valid reasoning for a subsection being created the plant focused people are Few and far between. you won't find a local forum simply because the interest is low.

http://www.vivariumforum.com/community would be a great place to check out if you already don't Visit there.

EDIT: plants Go in enclosures... seems like a no brainer as to where the questions and topics should go...
    Last edited by Bubba; 11-21-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    My Name is Bubba, And I am addicted to reptiles ...

Thanks bubba. I was saying to Adam in his goodbye thread that I was thinking on finding a side forum to expand my planted viv knowledge and you may have just saved me looking for one.

I must agree with you that sometimes things just aren't feasable to do and in those cases we must go looking for what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    As we have learned in the past what Works For Taras does not always work for ERAS and Vise Versa.

Adam while you may Feel your idea is a valid reasoning for a subsection being created the plant focused people are Few and far between. you won't find a local forum simply because the interest is low.

http://www.vivariumforum.com/community would be a great place to check out if you already don't Visit there.
    Walker. Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. 0.1.0 Basilisk, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Chahua Gecko 0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python Thanks to the ERAS adoption program for her.

I have a problem with that because it's circular. I'm now on the executive board of the Orchid Society of Alberta. The orchid society, the bonzai society, and the horticulture society (probably others) are all aging, and they deserve more attention that they get from the younger generations. I think we should help remedy this generational loss by encouraging the local online conversation in a dedicated section on the forum.

EDIT: plants Go in enclosures... seems like a no brainer as to where the questions and topics should go...
    So do all of our animals, but they get their own section, and not all of my plants are in my enclosures.
    You might think so, but sometimes they end up in the Moss Pit.
    "Got something to say that does not deal with the society? Here’s the place to say it. General chit chat welcome!"
    This isn't the appropriate forum for the discussion of the horticulture hobby.
    Neither is it appropriate to be fit in with people trouble shooting their enclosures or their rack builds.

http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/foru...ad.php?t=22625
    http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/foru...ad.php?t=22193
    Last edited by lordoftheswarms; 11-22-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Last time I checked ... We are The Edmonton Reptile and Amphibian society. Where we have our own society issues and concerns to worry about. You can't force someone to take interest in something They aren't interested in.

The aforementioned societies issues with aging and lack of interest from the younger generation does not really affect our society and it's membership.
    My Name is Bubba, And I am addicted to reptiles ...

Last time I checked ... We are The Edmonton Reptile and Amphibian society. Where we have our own society issues and concerns to worry about. You can't force someone to take interest in something They aren't interested in.
    No one said anything about forcing someone to take interest. Idiot.
    I'm not forcing anything, but you can make it easier to have the local discussion than it is, to promote that topic and generate interest.

The aforementioned societies issues with aging and lack of interest from the younger generation does not really affect our society and it's membership.
    For many of us it doesn't because we are only interested in promoting rubbermaid, and otherwise sterile keeping. I'm interested in promoting a greater, deeper appreciation of all life, which SHOULD be something this society supports.

Damn Rubbermaid lovers...
    Last edited by lordoftheswarms; 11-22-2011 at 12:19 AM.

People gripe about there not being diversity at the shows. All there is is snakes!
    Diversity didn't sell. Why? I think it's because we have a systemic imbalanced emphasis in the hobby (both locally and throughout north america) that is all about keeping the most animals you can, in the tiniest enclosures you can, in the most space efficient way you can.

Here I am trying to promote a future culture that appreciates diversity, and vivaria, and you fight me over it, instead of taking it to the meeting and letting the membership decide.
    Last edited by lordoftheswarms; 11-22-2011 at 12:35 AM.

I have noticed a very large amount of people starting to consider doing live vivs on the forum since I started coming here. As a matter of fact I am quite impressed by the changes I have seen in people being more open to promoting a greater, deeper appreciation of all life, and the ERAS has been quite supportive of it. It is also the support of people like you that makes me want to continue and keep my interest up. So even though there is not a plant specific sub section for you to post in. Your posts wherever they land are acheiving your ultimate goal to promote a greater, deeper appreciation of all life.

Quote Originally Posted by lordoftheswarms View Post

For many of us it doesn't because we are only interested in promoting rubbermaid, and otherwise sterile keeping. I'm interested in promoting a greater, deeper appreciation of all life, which SHOULD be something this society supports.

Damn Rubbermaid lovers...
    Walker. Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. 0.1.0 Basilisk, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Chahua Gecko 0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python Thanks to the ERAS adoption program for her.