Thread: Australia Zoo cash dries up without Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin

Default Australia Zoo cash dries up without Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin

CROCODILE Hunter Steve Irwin died five years ago today and the loss of his star power and his millions is being felt at the zoo he helped found on the Sunshine Coast.

Takings at Australia Zoo plummeted since his death, with analysts estimating the zoo's annual profit from gate takings and merchandise have fallen to $3.5 million from income of about $70 million, which is poured back into the zoo and conservation.
    Its wildlife hospital charity has been handed a three-year, $150,000 lifeline from the regional council.
    Irwin's widow, Terri, attributes the slump to the economic climate and has sold properties, cut back on staff and postponed some expansion plans.

http://www.news.com.au/business/australia-zoo-cash-dries-up-without-crocodile-hunter-steve-irwin/story-e6frfm1i-1226128929657
    If you want to dance with a Cobra, you had better know your steps.

Default Re: Australia Zoo cash dries up without Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin

This makes me sad Steve Irwin was my hero... I bawled like a baby when he died. The world lost a great man that day.
    At least he died doing what he loved!
    0.1 Black Mexican Kingsnake, 1.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 0.0.1 Cherryhead Tortoise, 0.0.2 Schneider's skinks, 0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra, 1.0 Boa Constrictor, 1.1 Trans Pecos Ratsnakes, 1.0 Keyan Sand Boa.
    Pictures: http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/forum/album.php?u=13435

I know my oldest boy was in tears for days. He was religious about watching him.
    Steve Mallet

yellow saharran uromastyx, corn snakes, yellow lab, ball pythons, crested geckos, kingsnakes, boas, chahoua geckos

Wow, they brought in 70 million each year at one point? That's insane for a zoo. I'm sure they'll get by.

ps, I loved Steve too
    Ian Kanda

NYC Zoos gets a lot of $. I bet they swim in it. They should share. Edmonton's Zoo needs some $ too!
    Always learning AHT Student.
    Believing in reptiles being a part of the family, not eye candy.

Zoo's don't swim in money. They cost a lot, part of why some private zoos are in rough shape, because expenses are high. There may be a few exceptions, but when you look at the food bill for elephants, apes, large carnivores, etc it is not cheap.
    Jason Clevett
    Award-Winning Reptile Parties - Now In Edmonton!
    www.edmontonreptileparties.com
    www.calgaryreptileparties.com

Isn't Toronto considering selling their zoo because it costs so much to run and the city is heavily in debt.
    1.2.4 crested geckos 2.1.0 ball pythons

I think his kid are going to really pick up where he left off when their in their 20's I highly doubt they wouldent have the same drive and passion that he did.