Thread: Can lizards and frogs live together?

Default Can lizards and frogs live together?

I have an empty exo-terra tank size 12x12x18. I don't know alot about amphibians, and I was wondering if there was any frog, newt or salamander that could live live either anoles or some other small lizards. So basically could I keep a couple small lizards and a small amphibian together in that size of tank? I
    Helping people find companion animals as unique as they are. www.LivingstoneExotics.ca
    2.3.7 Leopard Geckos ~ 1.1 Arican Fat Tail Geckos ~ ~ 1.2.6 Corn Snakes ~ 1.1.2 Sugar Gliders ~ 1.2 Spiny Mice
    Looking for: (F) African Fat Tail Geckos

Default Re: Can lizards and frogs live together?

It can be done, though it's quite a small tank.

A lot will depend upon exactly how you set it up and what the habits of the various species are. I will depart from my usual geographic purism, and instead only address some mixes which should work if they have habitat:

Hypselotriton [aquatic newt], Anolis/Norops [arboreal diurnal lizard], Hemidactylus [arboreal nocturnal lizard], Hyla cinerea/squirella/versicolor [arboreal more or less nocturnal frog], Anaxyrus quercicus/Pseudacris sp/Melanophryniscus sp. [terrestrial frog]

Holaspis sp./Lygodactylus sp. [arboreal dirunal lizard], Hyperolius argus/pusillus [arboreal/aquatic diurnal frog], Hymenochirus sp. [aquatic frog], Rhampholeon sp. [scansorial diurnal chameleon], Brookesia sp [diurnal chameleon], Scaphiophryne sp [fossorial/arboreal diurnal frog]. First four are African, last two [plus some Lygodactylus] are Madagascan.
    The trend is to post names and numbers of "pets" here. That seems...um...bulky.
    23+ species of salamander
    28+ families and subfamilies of reptile, amphibian, and arachnid.
    Only one has a name. The Beast.

The biggest problem with multispecies tanks is space. In the wild, should two animals (of the same or different species) not get along, one moves on to a new territory. In captivity, it does not have that option. So both end up stressed, and one usually is compromised, either in feeding, or on being able to enjoy its normal activities.

It is amazing how low the population density is in the wild, even in the most densly populated ecosystems. You would never find a population density anywhere close to what we try to do in captivity, even in the large enclosures in zoos. The earth is a big place, and its inhabitants tend to spread out quite a bit. Only Man purposely stacks himself up in small spaces, and even then, we have a heck of a lot more elbow room than we offer most of our pets.

So, by putting multiple animals (same or different species) in a small enclosure, you are fighting Mother Nature's most basic tennet, space. If animals didn't need space, with the reproductive capabilities of most living things, we'd be piled up 10 feet deep in a living biomass. But Mother Nature sees to it that we all have space.

So, if we're already fighting the space issue, it is sooo much better not to fight the multiple animals issue at the same time.

Aardvarkpets,

I agree with most of your response but this statement, "Only Man purposely stacks himself up in small spaces" is a little over the top. Witness bees, ants, praire dogs, bats, fish etc.
    Ollie Meidinger

Public Relations Officer
    The American Tarantula Society

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

As mentioned, its always better to give them more room.
    That said, some people keep some phelsuma and lygodactylus species in with darts or arrows. Havent done it myself so thats the extent of my help!
    Bluemoon Geckos

Quote Originally Posted by FrogO_Oeyes View Post
    It can be done, though it's quite a small tank.

A lot will depend upon exactly how you set it up and what the habits of the various species are. I will depart from my usual geographic purism, and instead only address some mixes which should work if they have habitat:

Hypselotriton [aquatic newt], Anolis/Norops [arboreal diurnal lizard], Hemidactylus [arboreal nocturnal lizard], Hyla cinerea/squirella/versicolor [arboreal more or less nocturnal frog], Anaxyrus quercicus/Pseudacris sp/Melanophryniscus sp. [terrestrial frog]

Holaspis sp./Lygodactylus sp. [arboreal dirunal lizard], Hyperolius argus/pusillus [arboreal/aquatic diurnal frog], Hymenochirus sp. [aquatic frog], Rhampholeon sp. [scansorial diurnal chameleon], Brookesia sp [diurnal chameleon], Scaphiophryne sp [fossorial/arboreal diurnal frog]. First four are African, last two [plus some Lygodactylus] are Madagascan.

This is exactly what I have in my 18x18x24 Exoterra. Two green tree frogs, a golden tree frog and a blue guyana anole.
    0.0.1 Golden Tree Frogs (Valentino), 0.0.2 Tokay Geckos (Denver, Bronx), 2.0 Green Tree Frogs (Hu and Yu), 0.1 Green Anole (Tubby),
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon (LOTTIS), 0.0.1 Leopard Gecko(Hunter), 0.0.2 Firebelly Toads, 1.0 Rabbit (Rebound)

Ok thanks every one. I won't mix in that tank, maybe on day in a differant enclosure. I there any small gecko that maybe I could put a couple in that tank?
    Helping people find companion animals as unique as they are. www.LivingstoneExotics.ca
    2.3.7 Leopard Geckos ~ 1.1 Arican Fat Tail Geckos ~ ~ 1.2.6 Corn Snakes ~ 1.1.2 Sugar Gliders ~ 1.2 Spiny Mice
    Looking for: (F) African Fat Tail Geckos

Several of the smaller Phelsuma species, and a couple lygodactylus. I keep most of mine in 12x12x18 enclosures and they do quite well. All of the ones below, with exception of the klemmeri, can be found pretty easily for about 80-120. Good luck!

-P.laticauda/ gold dust
    -P.Q.Quadriocellata/ peacock
    -P.Lineata/ Lined
    -P. klemmeri/ neon

-L.williamsii/ electric blue
    Bluemoon Geckos

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkpets View Post
    The biggest problem with multispecies tanks is space.
    That's the biggest problem with SINGLE species tanks. With multiple species, at least the animals can partition their use of it according to habitat or time of day. A single Ranitomeya frog 1.5 cm long may occupy a patch of forest of 10000 square meters, climbing 30 or more meters up multiple trees. Compare that to the 0.5 square meter terrariums, 0.5 meters tall, that we provide 5 or 6 of them in captivity.

The biggest problem with multiple species tanks, apart from failure to properly research and understand ONE species...is to fail to research and understand EACH AND EVERY ONE of them. People just throw things together and assume it will be fine - such as mixing torrent newts (Pachytriton) with amphibians of ANY kind, on the assumption that newts are "safe".
    The trend is to post names and numbers of "pets" here. That seems...um...bulky.
    23+ species of salamander
    28+ families and subfamilies of reptile, amphibian, and arachnid.
    Only one has a name. The Beast.