Thread: Vivarium Plants

Default Vivarium Plants

With the recent interest in constructing natural vivariums (thanks Grimm and friends ) I thought I'd post some of the plants that I like to use in my dart vivs. Most of these like warmth and higher humidity, but with a little effort some can be grown as house plants too. A lot of these varieties I've ordered from specialty plant growers, but some can be found locally with a little effort.

If anyone else has cool plants they'd like to share, please add them to the thread!

Cheers,
    Duncan

Begonia thelmae on the left, Biophytum sp. on the right

Flower of the carnivorous plant Pinguicula moranensis

Flower of Columnea 'Early Bird.' Foliage is on the right. The larger leaves on the upper left are those of the Pinguicula in the previous picture.

Two climbing "shingler" species on the background. Rhaphidophora sp. on the left and Marcgravia sp. on the right. I believe both flower, althought I haven't had any luck yet. A mini Oncidium orchid on the right and Selanginella plana, a type of spike moss, right below the Pingu bloom.

The last pic, to follow, is a full tank shot of a viv currently waiting for some new occupants. It has a variety of bromeliads, peperomia, begonia, fern, ficus and others, all that stay relatively small and do well in tropical vivaria.

Default Re: Vivarium Plants

Looks good! They will look great in your setup!
    Brett (Nic-named Gizmo)

Wicked plants Duncan! That Biophytum sp. looks awesome, such a cool plant structure. I hope it stops dropping leaves for you :P Looks like its getting some good new growth though!

How does is the Pinguicula moranensis do with having frogs with it. They have sticky leaves so do the frogs get them covered in substrate or random plant particles? Or do you have it located away from the high frog traffic areas? lol

Edit: Oh and forgot to add...When you get more of that peperomia in the lower left of the very first pic, I'm gonna want some!

Forgot to contribute my couple of plants. Nothing special, but I like them :P

Some Peperomia Rotundifolia (Thanks Duncan! Its growing good), and an earth star (Thanks Lance, its getting some pink finally!)

Heres a random brom, and some botton fern. Im trying it out in my new viv and it seems to like it so far.

Heres some Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana "Petite", and some Round Leaf Pellia in between. They are all aquatic but I only have 1/2 of them submerged.

I don't know if these are vivarium plants but they are my faves. I have heard people have used neps in thier vivs. Some people say they kill frogs while others have had good luck keeping them together.Attachment 2996
    Attachment 2997
    Attachment 2998
    23447_111794742185277_100000642544592_131112_6712546_n[1].jpg
    I would love a big viv. just with carnivorous plants!

BTW I just recieved my carnivorous plant seeds in the mail. I have cape sundew and 3 kinds of nepenthes (n.gracilis, n.hookeriana, n.rafflesiana) I would appreciate any tips on cultivating these seeds! They are so tiny!

Quote Originally Posted by meow View Post
    BTW I just recieved my carnivorous plant seeds in the mail. I have cape sundew and 3 kinds of nepenthes (n.gracilis, n.hookeriana, n.rafflesiana) I would appreciate any tips on cultivating these seeds! They are so tiny!
    Here is a good link for the neps..

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/see.../Nepenthes.htm

Duncan, was wondering if you had any Rotundfilia you would be willing to sell to me(: