Thread: Leopard Geckos

Default Leopard Geckos

Bad me! Two new threads in one day!

I'm not sure who's familiar with the book "Lizard Care from A to Z" by R.C. Bartlett and Patricia Bartlett. I was reading up on Leopard Geckos in their book and they said - and I quote,

"Because of their inactivity, terraria for leopard geckos can be relatively small. A terrarium made from a ten gallon tank will house one male and three females without overcrowding..."p85

Now, I usually trust these kind of books. It has a decent bilbiolgraphy, they have done their research on most species (as far as I can tell) but this one excerpt doesn't jive with me.

I have 3 leopards, one male, 2 females who are currently NOT living together, and therefore not breeding. The two females (63g and 83g respectively) get along well and have been living together for the last year. The male (66g) lives next door and has been "smelling" them for the last year. I'd like to move him in and possibly include another female. The enclosure is a 38"x16"x16" flexarium with lots of climbing structures, plants and hides. They can also climb the walls and like to do so frequently. According to Lizard Care from A to Z I could fit in plenty more- almost 6-8 if I can add properly.

What do real people do?

Kioka Guest

How old is that book? Some information regarding husbandry changes over time. When one of my friends started keeping leopard geckos a long time ago, everyone told her it was fine to keep 2 or 3 in a 10 gallon. Nowaday, gecko owners, judging from the online communities, need a 20 gallon for one gecko or 30 gallon for three. So...

My GF says watch out for nose rub when keeping Leo's in a flexarium. If it gets bad and serisously infected, it can lead to mouth rot. Another thing she said is that due to them being a desert reptile, they prefer high heats, and Flexariums are terrible for retaining heat.

Robin

yes, ive read in a few books that go on about tens to hundreds of different reptiles, alot are propper information, but i do see quite a bit of errors in there. but remember that it may be a very old book, i've seen it around the place, the cover seems to be within 10 years or so.
    Save The Blue Iguana

More info here
    http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14
    Official site here
    http://www.ircf.org

Jessica Guest

Most sources I have read go by the rule of (at minimum) 10 gallons/gecko. However, I think a minimum of 20 for a single is the way to go, and a 30 gallon could house a maximum of 3, and generally 10 gallons/gecko would be fine above that. Though it's best to keep in mind that tank volume is not the best way to judge whether or not there is adequate space for leopard geckos. Tanks come in different dimensions, and since leos are terrestrial, the floor space is more important than the vertical.

Yeroptok Guest

For Geckos kept in flexariums I can't imagine how they would get nose rub if you use a paper towel flooring. They only climb rarely and in our geckos I have seen no sign of injury in the slightest.

For the heating, I have actually found flexariums to deliver a very good heat gradient so long as you are using appropriate under tank heaters (we use large desert UTH underneath the flexarium and on top of fire treated plywood.)

Puritania Guest

Geckos can and will climb all over a flexarium, especially when they're young. Not saying they will get nose rub, but they can loose nails in it.

The book is copyrighted 1997. Doesn't seem too long ago, but we've come a long way in a few years.

I dont think I would keep one gecko in a 10 gallon thats way to crowed for 3 hides,warm,cool and moist hide and then room for them to walk around.
    I have my breeding pair in a 40 gallon breeder and my other guys in 30 gallons and 2 babies in a large sterilite..
    I like to keep them in singles or female/female pairs