Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Breeding Forum

Default Re: A Breeding Forum

Keep in mind that not all of us are located in Edmonton, and even though we'd like to be part of the meetings it's not feesible so the Forum is the closest thing to what some of us have.
    http://thegeckotree.com/ - Health, Colour, Structure Visit us today! (:
    Follow on Facebook facebook.com/TheGeckoTree
    Gargoyle Geckos -Crested Geckos - Leachianus - Chahoua - Tarantulas - Nephrurus - African Fat Tails

Keep in mind that not all of us are located in Edmonton, and even though we'd like to be part of the meetings it's not feesible so the Forum is the closest thing to what some of us have.
    Even so, breeding is not what the society is about. There are breeding specific forums that can be joined.
    Krystal

Quote Originally Posted by StickyFeet. View Post
    I guess that's more what I'm talking about. Not everyone that comes here, is from here. They can't come to the meetings and talk to the breeders and get that first hand information. Could they PM someone, heck yes. Could that same someone, especially at this time of year when breeding is really picking up, say, to heck with this, I'm busy I don't have time to answer right now, and forget about it? Absolutely. In those cases, it's better in many ways to just have the information there. You and I both know that there have been more repeat questions to count asking the same things over and over, but having a breeding sub forum or having links to ERAS approved sites would GREATLY reduce the need to repeatedly respond to them. If the information exists in the breeding forum, say "it's in the breeding forum. You should be able to find it". If it's on a linked site, you can say "It's on this linked site."

I don't mean to insinuate anything negative about anyone, and rereading my post, I realize it came across more harshly than I intended (thanks a lot internet!!! lol). I realize the time and effort involved in providing care sheets and I would love to help with writing or editing some if anyone needs a hand. I've been toying with the idea of doing the research and putting some together for the site myself but have felt a little leary of doing that because I have no REAL experience. Only what I've read in books. That being said, I don't expect breeders to give up their secrets but I think not providing any information at all about breeding is a distinct disadvantage overall for the site.
    Last edited by Siren; 02-26-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling fail
    0.0.1 - Merauke Blue Tongued Skink - ??

OK this thread is getting a little out of hand. No decision has been made about this, either way. We are always open to feedback, and do listen to what members(both ERAS and in the case of the forum, Forum Members) want. Ultimately it is YOUR society, it isnt' any one person. Keep in mind though that there are certain things that have to be done. When a suggestion is made about the site, if it is something people are interested in, we first of all discuss it amongst the moderators. We look at what we've tried in the past, and what we have coming on our new relaunched site, and what we do still need. Once we have hashed it out, then things are discussed with the ERAS Executive, to get more feedback. At that point, if it's something we decide to go ahead with, we either get things going ourselves, or discuss it with our webmaster to see what is involved to get that going. None of these can happen overnight. Our moderators, and Exec are all volunteers, and have families and collections and jobs and other commitments of their own that require time. We also have to deal with regular ERAS business, and the upcoming show consumes a large amount of time. So please be patient, because things do happen, and they are being discussed now, so it's just a matter of what gets acted on, and when the timeline is to do it. But we ARE open to suggestions, and do like and need the feedback, both positive and negative.
    Where the beasts are bitey and the monsters are Mighty!

Thanks for jumping in Cindy. I do realize these things take time. I'm not suggesting this happen immediately or even that it's the right decision if it happens at all. I'm just providing some arguments that I've heard in the past for situations almost identical to this one.

Unfortunately, when writing things over the internet, tone and facial expression are left right out of the equation so it makes it difficult to say with what kind of attitude is something being said. I have belatedly realized that my technical writing style has come across as harsh so I apologize for that and will be more careful of it ...

Oh no worries

And it really isnt' any one persons style, I did really just want to let every body know that we do listen to what they want, but it's hard to juggle everything. I know I'm tryign to find a way to have other members take on some of the smaller things that always seem to be put on the backburner.

Anyone feel like editing a beardie care sheet that has all the technical information correct, so no research, it just needs to sound pretty, be readable and include everything!
    Where the beasts are bitey and the monsters are Mighty!

If you wanted I could definitely have a look at that care sheet for you! Editing is my favourite thing to do ha ha. Send it my way for sure. Not sure if my email shows up but if not (email removed) and I'll have a look!
    Last edited by ERAS; 04-04-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Removed email address.

Deja vu!
    http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/foru...ead.php?t=6585
    http://www.edmontonreptiles.com/foru...ead.php?t=6585

I like the idea less now than I did then.

1) We just had a discussion regarding how reptiles are increasingly disposable pets, including those purchased -from a "professional"- at the ERAS shows.
    2) As was said, those people who have owned reptiles a long time will know where to go, and to whom, for the right information. Random people piping in on an online forum are not the most reliable resources. And is it just me, or do the newbies seem to be answering questions an awful lot these days..?!
    3) It seems a bit hypocritical for the Society to support reptile rescue and facilitate breeding at the same time.

/rant

However, I LOVE the idea of a health forum with quarantine guidelines, emergency vet contacts, etc. that Tracey suggested. That is more closely aligned with the ERAS mandate, IMHO. And useful for everyone.
    Last edited by Sadie; 03-20-2010 at 01:26 AM.
    Leah Morgan has balls...and boas!
    http://www.freewebs.com/leahmorgan/
    save the pit bull, save the world Bullies in Need