Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Breeding Forum

Default Re: A Breeding Forum

I agree with your assessment regarding the definition of a "professional breeder"; however, I'm not sure a breeding specific sub forum isn't warranted. Though users regularly share various breeding-related items on their animal-specific sub forums, that doesn't necessarily mean that a new user, looking for information regarding breeding, will be able to find that information. A curious passer-by may not delve too deeply into the forum and assume that we have no, or very little, breeding-specific information because there is no sub-forum dedicated to its discussion even though this is not the case. I think it would be helpful to new users, especially, to have a dedicated breeding sub forum to reduce, instead of increase, repeated questions and, if someone does repeat a question, it will be that much easier to direct them to the correct sub-forum instead of scrolling back through the archives to find the specific thread that their question refers to and is answered by.

I agree that splitting hairs is ineffective and increases general confusion, but, as it stands, I don't think that this particular site has another forum that fits breeding discussions particularly appropriately. Personally, I am not a breeder because I'm a beginner, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious about the process or interested in others breeding projects and it would be nice to have a dedicated area to go to to either ask breeding-specific questions or connect with specific breeders.

As for the argument that it will encourage inexperienced handlers to breed their animals because they read our breeding sub forum, I think that's a bit like saying watching Wile E Coyote get run over by an ACME truck causes children to have violent tendencies. Reading about breeding may cause people to become curious about it, but providing the correct information and having stickies that outline the responsibilities and risks involved in all breeding projects would likely be more of a deterrent for anyone looking into breeding their animals as a hobby than it would be attractive. I think that, as long as ERAS writes a disclaimer that appears at the top of the forum that states their position on breeding, that it is a huge responsibility and should be done only by experienced, knowledgeable handlers who know the risks and can potentially support any resulting off spring in the case new homes cannot be found, it would be a great idea to culminate the vast amount of breeding knowledge put forward by many on the forum into one, easily navigated repository ...
    0.0.1 - Merauke Blue Tongued Skink - ??

The snake forums here contain bits and peices about breeding.. which in all rights is useless.

I fully support this idea, although it doesn't sound like anyone with say wants to actually make this, so the thread should end here.
    |-|-| Woodlands Rodents and Reptiles |-|-|
    |-|-| Herp Hobbyist & Rodent Breeder |-|-|

I fully support this idea, although it doesn't sound like anyone with say wants to actually make this, so the thread should end here.
    Teagan, where do you get that idea?

ANY ERAS member gets a say, really. But nothing happens overnight, and sometimes the ideas fall through. Many of mine have, and I'm alright with that anyways. Even though many ideas are good ones, doesn't mean that they are right for this forum.

Opinions are great to see all kinds of views, so ending the discussion is simply a sure way to dump the idea dead in its tracks.

On the flipside, if people come up with specific reasons why there should be the forum, it's good to support the idea and see it more likely to happen.
    Krystal

hmm didn't word that properly at all, my apologies.
    Im just saying i support this idea, but people submitted good rebuttles on why it would be useless.
    Last edited by !Teagan; 02-23-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spellfail/adding info wording things right

Honestly, I don't think many strong rebuttals were presented at all. The main argument so far as been what the definition of a "professional" is. It looks like people, in general, are leaning towards support rather than opposition. The only two rebuttals are, they don't want it to encourage breeding too much and they think it might cause people to post in the wrong sub forum more often than they already do. Neither argument is particularly strong because, as stated in my previous post, there's not really a lot of pull that reading about breeding herps will cause people to breed herps and people post in the wrong forums all the time. Since breeding is an overarching subject, it would be easy to point someone in the wrong forum asking about breeding to the breeding forum where they will likely find the answer to their question almost immediately rather than answering the same question repeatedly because we can't find the thread that was answered about the same thing three weeks previous. We're not saying to add ten new sub forums. Just one that will collect all of the breeding knowledge on this site that would otherwise get lost in the influx of regular species specific questions.
    Last edited by Siren; 02-23-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling fail :)
    0.0.1 - Merauke Blue Tongued Skink - ??

Quote Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
    Its a good idea in theory but would only really be useful if the forum was a lot more active. Specific breeding threads currently would be most appropriate in the sub-forum corresponding with the animal type.
    This was also stated, but you seemed to overlook it.

Improving a site to make it more user friendly could very well potentially increase over all activity.

Some people just aren't forum saavy, and can have a difficult time locating things, even when using the search feature. If some people just can't figure it out, or are too shy to ask a question in fear that it has already been asked, they'll simply move along. Just a thought.
    http://thegeckotree.com/ - Health, Colour, Structure Visit us today! (:
    Follow on Facebook facebook.com/TheGeckoTree
    Gargoyle Geckos -Crested Geckos - Leachianus - Chahoua - Tarantulas - Nephrurus - African Fat Tails

Quote Originally Posted by StickyFeet. View Post
    Improving a site to make it more user friendly could very well potentially increase over all activity.

Some people just aren't forum saavy, and can have a difficult time locating things, even when using the search feature. If some people just can't figure it out, or are too shy to ask a question in fear that it has already been asked, they'll simply move along. Just a thought.

I know Chris (malarkey) is currently building a new ERAS site which I am very excited about . Admittedly, the current forum does have glitches. I know for myself, the search area for one has been a bone of contention. Very hard for many people I feel to backtrack hoping to find something that you 'know' was posted not long ago but end up asking the same or similar question because a search didn't reveal anything. I know they are all areas that are being worked on.

It is though, totally through people presenting and debating a point or issue, that results happen and changes are made. If enough people do feel a particular forum/point etc is valid, make your point known. I also don't feel we need to be like 'every other herp site' out there either though, as we are NOT a breeder specific forum but (per the mandate) :
    Our objectives are the promotion of the study and conservation of reptiles and amphibians and the facilitation of communication between society members.

I guess, for myself, I have a TON of breeder specific sites already bookmarked where I can pull up info that isn't discussed so much here. I don't think any one forum CAN cover every single thing...

That said, the idea of the stickied forum with (a) local vet info/contacts; (b) basic first aid tips (c) signs and symptoms and emergency tips when you can't get to a vet right away (d) how and when to quarantine...etc... is terrific. I think we have it already though, or at least in bits??

This, along with what I said earlier, is strictly my opinion. If a bunch of people were posting all these great, information filled threads regarding breeding (or otherwise) to warrant the need for another sub-forum then that would be great. I wish that was the case. But personally right now I don't see it as such. Am I wrong? Is anyone in favour of the idea planning material to post to make it worthwhile? Just a thought...

And most people are not aware that soon (and it's taken much longer than I ever wanted it to for various reasons) an actual website will be the face of the ERAS web address so information required of new visitors or pet owners will be extremely accessible. Another thing to keep in mind. I've posted threads in the past looking for contributions (articles, etc.) but they don't come easy...

It be a place to start informative thread on such things. I'd also say that, if we could since everyone like the idea of things being more organized, maybe you guys just need more help in say .... scouring old stuff to put into a new generalized Breed forum thing. It be in stages, cause then we could go threw old posts and organize old info then even clean out some threads that are just taking up space.
    Always learning AHT Student.
    Believing in reptiles being a part of the family, not eye candy.