Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The definition of your character

Default Re: The definition of your character

Quote Originally Posted by Herpetologic View Post
    I think Kelly's original post is something we should all aspire to, and I would like to posit another point for us all to mull over as well. When we've written up a response, we should all go back over our message and reread it from the position of the person we are responding to and in that frame of mind contemplate how the target audience may feel to receive said message. If it feels negative, spend some time editing it. Then and only then should you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

I can't second this statement enough. How many people hit 'send' or 'submit' without thinking for a moment, re-reading, and then editing because something just doesn't sit right? With me it is spelling typos, yet they still manage to slip in there (part of the 50wpm tested typing speed using three fingers and a thumb...) I know I try to put myself on the receiving end when reading back what I type. Unfortunately by my editing and RE-editing, I sometimes veer from the point I was trying to make.

Unfortunately the Internet DOES add an air of protection and anonymity. How many people post something malicious and then bump into that same person a week later and feel ashamed by what they had said, even if the other person isn't even aware of the slight...How many of us have posted and SHOULD feel ashamed but don't??

Two things that were drummed into me as a child (yes, back in the days when mom used a belt!)
    1) Treat others as you want to be treated yourself ("Do unto others"-basic biblical principle)
    2) And stand up for the downtrodden or those unable to defend themselves.

One I would like to add is 'What goes around comes around'.

How about... "if you can't say it in front of your mom, maybe you ought to reconsider what you're going to say"

Quote Originally Posted by Apryl View Post
    How about... "if you can't say it in front of your mom, maybe you ought to reconsider what you're going to say"

GOOD point Apryl! (Oh the memories....)

"if you can't say it in front of your mom, maybe you ought to reconsider what you're going to say"
    ... that doesn't bode well for everyone. While I can say some downright nasty things in front of my mom, I simply choose not to. I've seen people (even little kids) say some nasty, dirty and cruel things to their parents.... it's not right, but not everyone seems to know that.
    Krystal

morm Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy, Belle & Daddy View Post
    DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY
    It's called the internet, it's basically the place where people go to slander and libel each other without any consequence.

Honestly if you can't back up what you are saying with the twin cannons of rational thinking and observation then you probably need to rethink it. That's pretty much how I do things; if you can't live up to your own beliefs/thoughts, then you are likely a hypocrite.

I could not agree more strongly. This is not just a high five ,let us all agree, post. Some of us ( particularlly those of a certain age,) still hold civility in high regard. The young and passionate should try to keep this in mind.

Going to bump this up from times waaaay in the past. As noted, noone - especially myself can claim to be perfect, and everyone will eventually post something regretable and later feel like a heel.

Please keep everything in a constructive and positive light. You do not need to like someone, but you certainly do not need to hate the person either and agreeing to disagree is actually a good thing...just be mindful of how you communicate it.

This was from about 2 1/2 years ago, and from a time long past. I have been an ERAS member for 4 years, and a forum member for the same amount of time. A lot of people will come and go in this hobby, and on this forum, and very few will stick around for a significant amount of time. Please be mindful that EVERYONE has something to contribute to this hobby in some form, and lets all try to make sure that the venom sticks to hots, and not to the ERAS membership base.

That's all I got to say about that, and there is no need to reply to this post. Just read the first post, think about it, and we can all try to be a little bit better in how we choose to communciate.

Great post Kelly, I like to try to remember when posting Walk the Talk.
    1 Male Leopard Troy, 1 KSB Chalice, 1 African House snake, Nyoka, 1 Gargolye gecko, Oggie, 1 Male Knob tail Gecko Ozzie, 1Panther Gecko Pascal, 1 Female normal Ball Python, 1 Hypo Brooks kingsnake 2 Cats Essie and Sasha, 1 Dog Lady, 2 Budgies Micky and Frankie, 2 Degus Momma D and Misty. 1 Irritable husband.

Good time to bring this one up Kelley, I was actually thinking about this one earlier as I've been watching what's been happening.
    Where the beasts are bitey and the monsters are Mighty!