Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help My Fly river Turtle came in sick

Default Help My Fly river Turtle came in sick

I recently bought a baby fly river turtle. Only problem is he is sick. He floats like a cork and cannot stay at the bottom of the tank. He is also lethargic and not eating very well. Any thoughts as to the issue?

Default Re: Help My Fly river Turtle came in sick

Possibly parasitic, or respiratory. Take him to the vet ASAP, you will most likely not be able to treat any turtle effectively without a vet's help.
    We are blogging! check us out and click the link - BLOG

** Authorized Repashy Dealer, largest stock and selection from Ontario to the West Coast - WE HAVE THE VERSION 3 FLAVORS EXCLUSIVE TO ECTOTHERMIC IN WESTERN CANADA **

Missie Guest

I don't know anything about turtles, but how long have you had him?

Where did you get him? Privately, or a Petshop? If a Petshop, I would suggest calling them and telling them you are bringing it back! Vet bills are very expensive, and YOU should not have to be paying if it was already sick! If you bought it privately, well I would call them and see if they would return your money. But Unfortunately Good Luck on that one!

These are rarely available for sale, and the legality is often questionable. There was one for sale months ago. To my knowledge, they are expensive, difficult to get, and not overly easy to care for. Getting it to a good vet, regardless of cost, and ensuring correct husbandry should be the absolute priority. Given that it is a "baby", it is either wild-caught and a risky purchase, or captive-bred. In order to breed and hatch them, proper care would be mandatory. Not to be critical, but I would guess that end-user care is the issue here.
    Last edited by FrogO_Oeyes; 08-03-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    The trend is to post names and numbers of "pets" here. That seems...um...bulky.
    23+ species of salamander
    28+ families and subfamilies of reptile, amphibian, and arachnid.
    Only one has a name. The Beast.

Actually that was very critical. I got it Wednesday night. It had the issue from the start. I actually had a large one who is still living with the person I sold it to. Unless you know...please don't judge the "end user"
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogO_Oeyes View Post
    These are rarely available for sale, and the legality is often questionable. There was one for sale months ago. To my knowledge, they are expensive, difficult to get, and not overly easy to care for. Getting it to a good vet, regardless of cost, and ensuring correct husbandry should be the absolute priority. Given that it is a "baby", it is either wild-caught and a risky purchase, or captive-bred. In order to breed and hatch them, proper care would be mandatory. Not to be critical, but I would guess that end-user care is the issue here.

Based on available data, it was a fair guess, and was stated as such.
    The trend is to post names and numbers of "pets" here. That seems...um...bulky.
    23+ species of salamander
    28+ families and subfamilies of reptile, amphibian, and arachnid.
    Only one has a name. The Beast.

If it was from a reputable seller, pet store or private then it should have a health guarantee of more than 5 days. The seller should either take the animals back and get it back to health then return it to you and take on the costs associated with getting it better, or replace the animal or if you take it to a vet they should cover that costs aswell. If not I would never do business with them agian and then take it to a vet yourself.
    http://kryptonianreptiles.webs.com
    Kryptonian Reptiles is now on facebook, add as a friend.
    Can't stop playing with my balls!

I"ve heard otherwise... once settled in, they are hardy, easy to care for animals. But, this is a baby and care is often much more finicky because of such. It kinda sounds like it's got excessive gas in it's gut. lol, call it a gut feeling. This could be from a lot of things. I would treat it gravely, due to age, lethargy, and the lack of a history- being new and all.

Good luck,
    Ian Kanda
    I'm happy to represent both the herp hobby and conservation.
    Please donate here to save gartersnakes! http://igg.me/p/725959/x/6825185

Quote Originally Posted by FrogO_Oeyes View Post
    Based on available data, it was a fair guess, and was stated as such.
    No it wasn't. You just wanted to talk..use words like end use. It was a know it all statement in which you thought you would throw some kind of statement that would show the reptile world that you are "in the know".
    Next time unless I have had a fly river Turtle that has been sick with a respiratory infection I will not ask on this board as risk a lashing from u....
    You ever wonder why newbies go to big shop pet store and get advice? Get a mirror.