Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else's Bearded Dragon have the MOST rank smelling poops?

Question Does anyone else's Bearded Dragon have the MOST rank smelling poops?

The first week we had him, I would smell it, and blame one of the kids or the dog for farting LOL until I realized it was coming from him, and would clean it out.. but now I 'know' as soon as I smell his poop, I know staraight away that he is to blame for it, lol But right now he just had the worst ever, My kids and I were gagging. Me mostly!! this time was a serious close call to tossin my cookies as I was trying to clean it out! It was horrible, like smelling hot garbage mixed with poo from up close I think this time it even grossed him out too! ..because as soon as he relieved himself all down his basking spot he went to far corner of his cage until I removed it for him, then right back to his clean, and smelling fresh again spot

Anyone have any tricks, or suggestions? I think he gets enough greens..
    Like do the superworms or hornworms create a stinkier BM, than if he ate more crickets?? Or is it just something to get used to
    Lisa

"Love And Do What You Will" -St. Augustine

CrimStudentKikz Guest

Default Re: Does anyone else's Bearded Dragon have the MOST rank smelling poops?

Hmm beardies poop should smell bad but not as horrible as you describe. It is possible he has a parasitic infection... you should get a fecal done.

Default Re: Does anyone else's Bearded Dragon have the MOST rank smelling poops?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimStudentKikz View Post
    Hmm beardies poop should smell bad but not as horrible as you describe. It is possible he has a parasitic infection... you should get a fecal done.
    Serious, so that could mean something.. I was told its probably just because of all the veggies he eats making him rank? Do you think its worth waiting out a few days, to see if it gets any worse? Or is this something that happens...? It was gross today, extra liquidy with less white *sorry for description* and stinky! I also took a nasty breath in while I had my head in there lol It was bad but Im sure that didnt help the gag reflexes..
    Lisa

When mine get blackberries they are especially smelly.....
    Krystal

Oh, I just thought of something.. I had bought hornworms the other day. Although today the last one died, or was barely alive when I fed it to him. Is that ok? Should I not feed dead or dying.. I would thought it should be fine?? I know not to feed dead bugs you find or outside or whatever, but the recently deceased/dying hornworm?
    Lisa

CrimStudentKikz Guest

Well, sure see if it doesnt smell as bad in the next couple days.. my beardies poop smells bad but not ungodly. If it continues to be really, really bad get a fecal done. It costs around $70 but it never hurts. It could very possibly be something in the diet.

It's generally not a bad idea to get a fecal done anyway with new reptiles. Just to make sure.

My guys stink worse sometimes depending on the diet, and I find that soft bodied worms and certain fruits cause worse poo. But I just got used to it. Try not to breathe while cleaning it up.

The runniness can be normal, sometimes it just means they have had a lot of water and that is the "extra". However, sometimes a runny poo is a sign of something more. So if it persists a fecal is probably a good idea. Even just for your own piece of mind.
    Jackie
    VEEC
    Alrighty then...

K thanks, Im definitly gonna monitor his stinky poopies closely even if I dont really want too :S jk I will! I thought someone was going to mention to switch to a different protein/bug or something. then I was told it's veggies.. I didnt even think it could mean a sick boy.. ugg but he usually has really stinky ones.. and his health seems fine to me. I could be overly senstitive too. I recently quit smoking (2 months)and my sense of smell is WaY heightened then ever before. My house is ten times cleaner now too, lol because (well way more energy too but..)any lil thing giving off a slight odur, like a dishcloth, something in the garbage, the bathroom.. I cant handle it, where these things never bothered as much me before.. I suppose this a big possibilty too, sorry for wasting anybodies time, if its all just my over active sniffer right now *blush but thanks for the advice because i never even though of his health being a concern..
    Lisa

Hey it's no worries. No one feels it's a waste of time, even if it's an overactive sniffer. Better you ask, and feel informed.
    Jackie
    VEEC
    Alrighty then...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    It's generally not a bad idea to get a fecal done anyway with new reptiles. Just to make sure.

My guys stink worse sometimes depending on the diet, and I find that soft bodied worms and certain fruits cause worse poo. But I just got used to it. Try not to breathe while cleaning it up.

The runniness can be normal, sometimes it just means they have had a lot of water and that is the "extra". However, sometimes a runny poo is a sign of something more. So if it persists a fecal is probably a good idea. Even just for your own piece of mind.
    Ya for sure, Ill keep my eye on him first because if he can wait, even just a 2 weeks..that would be better for me. UNless you think this a no wait thing?
    Thanks guys
    Lisa