PDA

View Full Version : Getting together Part II

joeysgreen
10-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Alright, we have a list to start with and begin the legalization process. Now we need to narrow it down and concentrate out efforts. Keep in mind that if we cut a species, it doesn't mean we may never work with it in the future.
Now, how to decide. I've come up with a few parameters, but feel free to suggest otherwise.
1) The species should be commonplace already. Our first priority is to legalize what is already here. With the legalization process comes knowledge. If we are keeping species that are dangerous to the Canadian environment or economy we need to know so we can dispose of them properly.
2) Someone has, and is willing to offer a culture of the species for testing against environmental conditions. This can be done offlist to keep things anonomous.
3) The species is desireable to obtain either as a feeder, or a pet.

The current list is
Blaberus discoidalis Discoid cockroach
Bombyx mori Silkworm
Zophobas Morio Superworm
Galleria mellonella Waxworm
Blaberus craniifer Death's Head Cockroach
Blaberus giganteus Giant Cave Cockroach
Blaptica dubia Orange Spotted Cockroach
Eublaberus distanti Six Spotted Cockroach
Eublaberus prosticus Orange Head Cockroach
Gromphradorhina portentosa Madagascar Hissing Cockroach
Blatta lateralis Turkistan Cockroach
Nauphoeta cinerea Lobster Cockroach
Dendrabaena veneta European Nightcrawlers
Chilecomadia moorei Trevo Worms
Clonaria spp Tropical Stickbugs
Archispirostreptus gigas African Black Millipede

Michael
10-25-2007, 04:56 PM
oops, i totally forgot to check out other species of millipedes to add to the list! I'll also look for some mantids if that's alright.

About the Clonaria spp. i suggested, it may just be better to remove that from the list, there isn't a heck of alot of info out there for sticks so getting them legalized is probably not likely, maybe we should hold off until we can find more info or find someone who is an expert on sticks and is willing to help.

good looking list though, i hope this works, i would love to have a colony of B. dubia as feeders!

Apryl
10-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I believe "stick bugs" are illegal at the moment because they can survive the winters here and eat vegitation like mad! Not saying any names... but I do know of someone who has a colony of such insects. He took them off another persons' hands because they were going to release them. That would have been a very very bad thing. The information on why they are illegal he got from the representative from Alberta Agriculture at the fall ERAS show. Very nice guy, informative too. Just a little defensive, which is sad. Kept repeating "I'm here to work with you", probably as a result of a few people's attitudes. : (

joeysgreen
10-25-2007, 06:14 PM
That is the indian walking stick; it is indeed common and prolific. There is also some pretty convincing evidence that they can indeed survive even Edmonton winters.

Michael
10-25-2007, 06:27 PM
it's not the actual insect that survives, but the eggs. when you really think about the time frames involved, our long winters and short spring - summer - fall months, I just don't think it is possibe for a stick insect to hatch, mature and lay more eggs before the next winter. I know it is a proven fact the eggs survive cold temps but i just don't find it plausible they could keep surviving. that's just speculation on my part, maybe someone with more experiance could shine some light on that, just my 2 cents.

anyways, i'm going to look for milli and mantid species now.

Michael
10-25-2007, 07:16 PM
well, after a bit of searching, i think i few good ones for the list are:

Millipedes:
Aulacobolus rubropunctatus - Vietnamese rainbow millipede
Chicobolus spinigerus - Florida Ivory Millipede

Mantids:
Mantis religiosa - common praying mantid
Tenodera aridifolia - Chinese mantid
Litaneutria minor - ground mantid

Now, reasons: the milli's i listed are already common in the US hobby, i'm sure they would be easy to obtain, not to mention, the A. rubropunctatus is absolutely stunning! The mantids are all already found in Canada, it would be nice to make them legal to keep and breed. this is where i got the mantid names from
http://thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0009098

I'll continue to look for mantid species, the orchid mantid would also be nice along with a few others.

EDIT: Hymenopus coronatus - orchid mantid, Phyllocrania paradoxa - ghost mantid
both of these are also common to the US hobby, not sure about them surviving our climate, orchid mantids are a rainforest species so it is doubtful, not too sure on the ghost mantid.

Kioka
10-25-2007, 07:22 PM
If it is possible for a species to survive in southern Ontario or BC and become pests, you can kiss it goodbye. :p

So, an Indian Walking Stick can definately survive AS a species in Canada by leaving their eggs behind.

joeysgreen
10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
The guy from the Royal Alberta Museum said that he left some stick bugs out in a bucket under a snow drift. They were alive come spring time.

Michael
10-27-2007, 11:42 AM
The guy from the Royal Alberta Museum said that he left some stick bugs out in a bucket under a snow drift. They were alive come spring time.

Cool, i didn't realize they could do that, see, you do learn something new every day! The only stuff i know about sticks is what i have read online, and at some point i read only the eggs survive cold temps but not everything out there is true, thanks for sharing that info, i always like learning new things.

on that note, is there anyone you know of at the museum that could help identify some sticks that may meet the parameters you suggested?

joeysgreen
10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
ya, I think his name is Jay. The guy at the show anyhow, he's responsible for the live animal displays and really knows his inverts. If I have his name wrong, just ask for the head honcho.

Kioka
10-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Yep. It's Jay. He is awesome when it come to inverts.

thinkharder
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
This thread is several months old now. I was wondering if any of you had an update for it.

I'm interested in whether owning Blaptica dubia is legal inside Canada. I phoned Canada Customs today to see if they knew, but I won't get an answer until maybe tomorrow or so. I also don't see anything in the CFIA website that helps me figure if owning a live Blaptica dubia colony in Canada is legal or not.

Karen

FrogO_Oeyes
04-14-2008, 03:58 PM
The CFIA website has a complete list of what's legal. I did post it in the TARAS invert threads. If it's not in the list, it's not legal.
http://www.albertareptilesociety.org/forum/showthread.php?t=663

Blaptica is not listed, and therefore not legal.

Michael
04-14-2008, 03:59 PM
it isn't, there is a list on the CFIA site that lists all inverts that are legal in Canada, everything else is illegal to own and i believe there is only one species of roach on that list, the german house roach if i'm not mistaken. i'll pull up the link and post it here.

EDIT: looks like FrogO beat me to it!

thinkharder
04-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Thank you both.