PDA

View Full Version : hermit crabs no one loves them.......

AcidRayne
07-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I happen to really like the little guys but need room and have had a hetmit crab up for sale for over 2 months now and not one person looked at him. so i put him to free and still no one wants him. And all i can think is wow and they still sell these little guys all over the place. I even hurd about someone finding a tank at a garbage drop off with some hermit crabs dead in there coz no one wanted them. Im just saying wow, maybe they should only be looked at in the wild and not in a tank! just think of all the little ones that have died in edmonton alone due to pleople seeing a "cool looking" thing they want it see that it does nothing till the night time so they just forget to feed them or water or mist them or just through them out in the garbage. That is something living and should never be treated like that. the greatest gift ever was life and look what people do with it. i bet earth is like the alabama of the milkyway.

I still have my guy up for free but i will be ONLY looking for someone who loves animals as much as i do.

GreenEyedHawk
07-28-2008, 01:39 PM
It's the unfortunate reality with fad pets. People get them because they're new, and cool and different, but then they realise how much work they are and how much care they need, and so they get rid of them, either by selling them, giving them away or, like in Karen's case, dumping them. (Karen found them, she didnt dump them, jsut to clarify.)

Some few people are responsible enough to at least care for the animals through their lifetime so they at least don't suffer, but sadly they are few and far between. Someone who impluse-buys an animal is typically just as likely to impulse-dump them.

AcidRayne
07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
ya true I got mine as a rescue, and would look after him till i found a new owner but I think i just might have to keep him because of the "fad" deal with them. if someone would want him it will be to someone who really likes them, and has had them for a long time. other then that he's now called superman and lives in his own place with all the fresh food he can,lol, try to climb to the top of. its not that there so much work its i think people want animals that they can see do things and pet and stuff not one they watch and need to stay up late for.

Wicked
07-28-2008, 05:25 PM
How hard are they to look after, I think they are really cool but do not know to much about their needs??

Baebe
08-07-2008, 12:02 AM
You know who I have to blame for this???? Capital Ex...not sure if they had them again this year but they sure did last year. I am sure you all know what I am talking about. I was still working at a pet store then, and man I had never seen so many sad little hermits in little critters keepers ever. I am amazed how many people bought them, all cause of a little creature living in a colorful shell and it was "cool"

GreenEyedHawk
08-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Yeah kind of like those 'crab shack' kiosks they have in malls. It's a bit upsetting that they have a setup to sell live animals with a caresheet detailing pretty much only the bare minimum right alongside kiosks that sell shoes and sunglasses and hair products and such. I think it makes people view them as a 'thing' rather than as a living creature, and it goes back to what I said before. People impulse-buy them (setups like that really encourage impulse buys) then realise that they take effort, and just as quickly impulse-dump them, or neglect them til they die from poor husbandry.

godthe1
08-07-2008, 09:35 AM
i like em. Taste really good boiled ^_^. Nah they pretty cool little guys and yeah they are mis-treated because they are such a cheep and affordable pet. My friend has two and she has NO idea how to take care of them i ended up pulling up couple websites printing them off and made her read every single page. Like every few seconds she says opps, or oooo thats why or i should have done that. Like Green said they are a thing now not an living creature

Birdy75
08-07-2008, 09:36 AM
You know who I have to blame for this???? Capital Ex...not sure if they had them again this year but they sure did last year. I am sure you all know what I am talking about. I was still working at a pet store then, and man I had never seen so many sad little hermits in little critters keepers ever. I am amazed how many people bought them, all cause of a little creature living in a colorful shell and it was "cool"

Yes they did have them again this year. There must have been almost 200 crammed into a 18x18x18 size aquarium in all colorful "shells". Both me, and my friend that came with me, we were disgusted at it.

Asha
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
I really want one! but I dont want to contribute to the mall tanks. And I try not to go to pet stores. So alas, I have none.
I work with children and we have a book by Eric Carl about a hermit crab. Its the cutest book ever

Budfrog
08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
http://www.hermit-crabs.com/

Was doing a bit of searching and this looks like a pretty good site for info on the hermits. It's pretty detailed and informative with lots of links. They're cute little guys! Thought about getting a couple myself but I would want to make sure I can give them the best possible care, as I do with any pet I think about getting.

godthe1
08-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I think there cool to watch...every so often, i wouldnt own one personaly but eh everyone has there own likes and dis likes

AbraxasComplex
08-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I thought about keeping several in one of my vivariums... then I realized they would probably eat all the moss that is now growing (my last set of land crabs did... little buggers).

When I sell them at my store I always send them home with atleast a 10 gallon, heat pad, partial glass top, sand and coco fiber, lots of environmental accesories.